[comp.dcom.telecom] Ship-to-shore telephone

roy@phri (Roy Smith) (10/15/88)

	This past weekend, I was on a boat with a marine VHF radio.  One of
the things you can do with this is to call (on channel 22?) the marine
operator and ask her (NOTE: all written references that I've seen refer to
the marine operator as "her") to place a call for you.  Presumably, you
either have to call collect or charge the call to a calling card.

	Who handles the call?  Does AT&T have all the marine operator
service?  Can you get to an alternate long distance carrier if you want to?
Are there marine AOSs?  Is there any way to receive an incomming call (i.e.
initiated by a shore station, calling a vessel at sea)?
--
Roy Smith, System Administrator
Public Health Research Institute

johnl@ima.ISC.COM (John R. Levine) (11/02/88)

In article <telecom-v08i0162m06@vector.UUCP> roy@phri (Roy Smith) writes:
>	This past weekend, I was on a boat with a marine VHF radio.  ...
>	Who handles the call?  ...

A very interesting question.  When I have called home in Boston via the
Camden ME marine operator, the call showed up on the local telco part of the
bill even though it was an inter-lata call.  Hmmn.  I have the impression that
marine telephone, like IMTS, is a stepchild of deregulation.

>...  Is there any way to receive an incomming call (i.e.
>initiated by a shore station, calling a vessel at sea)?

Yes, you can call the marine operator, tell her what vessel you want, and
she'll page them. If they don't answer, as is usually the case, you can leave
your name and number. A few times a day at well-known times the operator lists
the names of vessels for whom she is holding traffic, and the vessel can then
call in to get the message. The official way to get the marine operator from
shore is to place the call through your local operator. It turns out, though,
that the marine op has a regular local number and if you know that number you
can just call it and you won't be charged the marine surcharge.

In many places the marine phone system is badly overloaded, and many boats
now have cellular phones.  Some cellular systems such as the one in the
Virgin Islands probably handle more boats than cars.
--
John R. Levine, IECC, PO Box 349, Cambridge MA 02238-0349, +1 617 492 3869
{ bbn | think | decvax | harvard | yale }!ima!johnl, Levine@YALE.something

larry@uunet.UU.NET (Larry Swift) (11/04/88)

In article <telecom-v08i0162m06@vector.UUCP> roy@phri (Roy Smith) writes:
>	This past weekend, I was on a boat with a marine VHF radio.  One of
>the things you can do with this is to call (on channel 22?) the marine
>operator and ask her (NOTE: all written references that I've seen refer to
>the marine operator as "her") to place a call for you.  Presumably, you

I regularly hear and have talked with male operators (else they are women
with very low voices!)

>either have to call collect or charge the call to a calling card.

Or you can be pre-registered with the marine service company.

>	Who handles the call?  Does AT&T have all the marine operator
>service?  Can you get to an alternate long distance carrier if you want to?

No on both counts, in my experience.  And the far Southwest Florida service
is outrageously expensive.  The Tampa area is GTE and more reasonable.

>Are there marine AOSs?  Is there any way to receive an incomming call (i.e.
>initiated by a shore station, calling a vessel at sea)?

Marine operators broadcast for vessels that have in-coming traffic waiting
for them on channel 16.

Larry Swift                     UUCP: {peora,uunet}!pdn!larry
Paradyne Corp., LF-207          Phone: (813) 530-8605
P. O. Box 2826
Largo, FL, 34649-9981           She's old and she's creaky, but she holds!