[comp.dcom.telecom] References on Telephone Systems Wanted

subelman@ttidca.TTI.COM (Ed Subelman) (10/04/88)

I would like to obtain information on the design and operation of the
telephone system in the USA, both from the network and the user's point of
view.  Buzzwords such as Centrex, PBX, DID, currently baffle me.  My
background includes engineering and software so the technical details don't
scare me.
Can some kind soul recommend one or two solid references to get into this
area quickly.

Thanks.
--
Ed Subelman			subelman@ttidca.TTI.COM
Citicorp(+)TTI			{csun|philabs|psivax}!ttidca!subelman

ron@ron.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (10/11/88)

One good reference was published by AT&T and called "Notes on the Network."  I
don't think this book is available (if it is, please let me know, I'd like
one).  Barring that, the following is a little out of date, but pretty
comprehensive:  "Engineering and Operations in the Bell System" also published
bye Western Electric.

-Ron

jbh@umix.cc.umich.edu (James Harvey) (11/08/88)

In <telecom-v08i0157m03@vector.UUCP>, ron@ron.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) writes:
> One good reference was published by AT&T and called "Notes on the Network." I
> don't think this book is available (if it is, please let me know, I'd like
> one).  Barring that, the following is a little out of date, but pretty
> comprehensive: "Engineering and Operations in the Bell System" also published
> by Western Electric.
>
> -Ron

Notes on the Network is now TR-NPL-000275.  It is available from
Bell Core and costs about $150.00 (better check your library
first).  My Bellcore catalog lists 201-699-5800 as the ordering number.
--

Jim Harvey                        |      "Ask not for whom the bell
Michigan Bell Telephone           |      tolls and you will only pay

ulysses!gamma!mibte!jbh