[comp.dcom.telecom] Answering Machines

WEIHL@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU (William E. Weihl) (09/29/88)

I'm thinking of getting an answering machine, and I thought I'd
get recommendations from other people first.  I'd appreciate any
information you might have about different brands, models, features,
etc.

Thanks,
Bill Weihl

steve@ivucsb.UUCP (Steve Lemke <steve>) (10/05/88)

In article <telecom-v08i0148m03@vector.UUCP> WEIHL@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU (William E. Weihl) writes:
>I'm thinking of getting an answering machine, and I thought I'd
>get recommendations from other people first.  I'd appreciate any
>information you might have about different brands, models, features, etc.

Well, I've always been a fan of the Panasonic stuff, so I'll put in the
good word for them.  I've had my Panasonic machine for three years now, and
I've not had any problems with it - they seem to have a decent amount of
features (I love features, bells, and whistles, etc.) and a fair price (well,
actually, they dropped the price about six months after I got it, but such
is life).  Anyway, I think mine is a KTX-1421 or something like that.  They
don't make it anymore, but the ones that have replaced it are even better.
I'm thinking of one that offers toll-saver (answers on 2 rings if you have
messages to retrieve, else 4 rings), auto-shutoff (like if you pick up any
phone in the house and the machine has already kicked on, it shuts off),
1 minute, 3 minute, or unlimited incoming message length, with VOX (automatic
hang-up detection), and a list of things you can do from any touch-tone phone
when you call your machine (like change the outgoing message, etc.).  I'm
thinking of selling this one sometime and replacing it with another Panasonic,
perhaps one of the ones with a phone built in - some of their phones are
pretty slick, too!

----- Steve Lemke ------------------- "MS-DOS (OS/2, etc.) - just say no!"
----- Internet: steve@ivucsb.UUCP; lemke@apple.COM   AppleLink:  LEMKE
----- uucp:     pyramid!comdesign!ivucsb!steve       CompuServe: 73627,570
----- alt.uucp: {decwrl!}sun!apple!lemke             GEnie:      S.Lemke
----- Quote:    "What'd I go to college for?"   "You had fun, didn't you?"

weinstoc@SEI.CMU.EDU (Chuck Weinstock) (11/12/88)

American Express is offering an answering machine by mail.  It appears
to be a Phonemate 7300R and according to the literature there is a 3
digit security code for the beeperless remote feature.  According to
the 800 number for Phonemate (800-247-7889) that model has a user
settable security code with 1000 different combinations.  Does anyone
out there have any experience with this model.