[comp.dcom.telecom] I need a second line...

dtynan@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Der Tynan) (10/11/88)

I am trying to get my modem @ home to talk to the outside world.  I am
currently time-multiplexing it, so that the modem can use the line at
night.  I would like to have a separate line for the modem.  I called
Pacific Bell (the local phone company), expecting a simple order request.
It turns out that the apartment building is not wired for two lines (how
short-sighted can you get!).  PacBell will put in a second line, if I want.
There are two reasons why this is unacceptable.  First, they want $45 for
the first fifteen minutes, and (I think) $12 for every 15 minutes after
that (make a rough guess how long it takes :-)  Second, I don't see that
I should foot the bill for this apartment to have two lines.  As an option,
I know I can move, but would like a better reason than that.

My question is, does anyone know of a way of solving this?  It seems to
me, that if the phone line is ~5K bandwidth, and the actual line to the
exchange is maybe 10K, then I *should* be able to multiplex the line -
PacBell said no.  Any comments?  I'm sure this is a common problem, but I've
not seen anything on it recently.
						- Der
--
Reply:	dtynan@sultra.UUCP		(Der Tynan @ Tynan Computers)
	{mips,pyramid}!sultra!dtynan

lars%acc.arpa@bu-cs.BU.EDU (10/29/88)

> From: sultra!dtynan@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Der Tynan)
> Subject: I need a second line...
> Date: 11 Oct 88 01:40:35 GMT
>
> ...  I would like to have a separate line for [my] modem.  I called
> Pacific Bell (the local phone company), expecting a simple order request.
> It turns out that the apartment building is not wired for two lines (how
> short-sighted can you get!).  PacBell will put in a second line, if I want.
> ... they want $45 for the first fifteen minutes [of installation time],
> and (I think) $12 for every 15 minutes after that.        ... It seems to
> me, that if the phone line is ~5K bandwidth, and the actual line to the
> exchange is maybe 10K, then I *should* be able to multiplex the line -
> PacBell said no.  Any comments?

Have I got comments !!!! This is outrageous !!!!

This is a request for residential phone service: The tariff probably
does not allow them to charge you by the hour for installing the
access wiring (which after installation will be owned by the phone
company).

Some phone companies have tried to claim that all modem lines are
business service rather than residential service. If this is what
they are trying, talk to the PUC and explain why this is personal
use, not business use. I have heard PUCs that will allow that a BBS is
business service, but even that is the exception.

The bandwidth of a metallic circuit is probably more like one megabit;
this is why we are moving towards IDSN: 2 twisted pairs is 1544 kbps =
24 voice channels.

In analog land, one twisted pair subscriber loop will carry two phone
services, but this may already have been exploited, so this is none of
your business. (The line belongs to PacBell, so YOU can't multiplex it;
they can.)

Santa Barbara, where I live, is GTE land, and we complain a lot, but they
have NEVER tried to pull stunts like this one.

/ Lars Poulsen
  Advanced Computer Communications
  (Customer Service).
My opinions are none of my employer's business if I express them after
hours...

chip@vector.UUCP (Chip Rosenthal) (11/03/88)

> > It turns out that the apartment building is not wired for two lines (how
> > short-sighted can you get!).  PacBell will put in a second line, if I want.
> > ... they want $45 for the first fifteen minutes [of installation time],

> This is a request for residential phone service: The tariff probably
> does not allow them to charge you by the hour for installing the
> access wiring (which after installation will be owned by the phone
> company).

This doesn't sounds like they are charging for installing the wiring which
will be owned by the phone company, but the wiring which will be owned by
the customer.  The Baby Bells (like PacBell) have a "delineation point"
that separates telco-owned-and-maintained lines from customer-owned-and-
maintained lines.  They should be quite happy to give you a second line,
up to and including a "network interface unit" box, for the standard order
processing charge.  What they're talking about charging you for is for
installation of customer-premises ("inside") wire.  If you can do that
yourself somehow, they won't charge you for it.

Before you go too far with it, make sure that they're right about your
existing wiring.  If your apartment building was wired in the last
decade or so, it would be very strange for it not to have 4-conductor
cable.  (I don't think anyone even sells 2- or 3-conductor telephone
cable anymore.)  If you do have 4-conductor cable (red, green, yellow,
and black conductors), you can indeed run two lines on the cable.
Just connect yellow to the red of the second line and black to the
green of the second line.  [Sorry, I don't remember which is tip and
which is ring.]  If you do all this yourself and just have them put in
the NIU, you'll save their service charges.

In an apartment building, there might be other considerations, such as
whether or not you can get physical access to the service area.  Good
luck....

On the subject of multiplexing:

> In analog land, one twisted pair subscriber loop will carry two phone
> services, but this may already have been exploited, so this is none of
> your business. (The line belongs to PacBell, so YOU can't multiplex it;
> they can.)

Along the same lines, if you could multiplex the line that you use, then
divide it out into two lines at the NIU, that wouldn't be any of their
business (as long as you could find a line multiplexer FCC-approved for
customer-premises use).  It seems much easier to run a phone cable out
your window and down a conduit if necessary, which is probably what they
would do for their (overinflated) labor charges.  (But they don't charge
you for parts!)

Again, good luck!

--
John Owens		john@jetson.UPMA.MD.US		uunet!jetson!john
+1 301 249 6000		john%jetson.uucp@uunet.uu.net

ron@ron.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (11/08/88)

The bandwidth on a typical metallic phone line is dependent
on the distance.  T1 is only speced for 3000 feet.  We know
for a fact that it fails in less than twice that distance
do to our hardware loopback behaviour.

-Ron

chip@vector.UUCP (Chip Rosenthal) (11/09/88)

In Telecom Digest #157 sultra!dtynan@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Der Tynan) writes:

}I am trying to get my modem @ home to talk to the outside world.  I am
}currently time-multiplexing it, so that the modem can use the line at
}night.  I would like to have a separate line for the modem.  I called
}Pacific Bell (the local phone company), expecting a simple order request.
}It turns out that the apartment building is not wired for two lines (how
}short-sighted can you get!).  PacBell will put in a second line, if I want.
}There are two reasons why this is unacceptable.  First, they want $45 for
}the first fifteen minutes, and (I think) $12 for every 15 minutes after
}that (make a rough guess how long it takes :-)  Second, I don't see that
}I should foot the bill for this apartment to have two lines.  As an option,
}I know I can move, but would like a better reason than that.

Well, that's ok, because summer before last, I had a second line installed
in my apartment (for my junior year at UCSB), and it cost me something like
$100 to have the guy come out and put it in.  This included 15 minutes for
him to install the jack in my room, since the apartment didn't have four
conductor wire.  Then, this past summer, I moved again, and wanted to drag
my line with me.  This time, we had four conductor wire, so all they had to
do was bring the line up to the house, but it still cost about $75 or some-
thing like that.  Good old GTE!  They said if he came inside it would cost,
so I made it clear to him that he was to connect it outside the house to
the extra two wires, and I checked it inside as soon as he did, and it
worked.

}My question is, does anyone know of a way of solving this?  It seems to
}me, that if the phone line is ~5K bandwidth, and the actual line to the
}exchange is maybe 10K, then I *should* be able to multiplex the line -
}PacBell said no.  Any comments?  I'm sure this is a common problem, but I've
}not seen anything on it recently.

I've heard of people having multiplexors outside the house to get two lines
in cases where the wire to the phone company is underground or something like
that where they can't drag another one from the pole.  However, I've also
been warned to avoid it if possible.  Just let PacBell bring another line in
from the pole and be glad you aren't getting ripped off by GTE instead of
PacBell!

- ----- Steve Lemke ------------------- "MS-DOS (OS/2, etc.) - just say no!"
- ----- Internet: steve@ivucsb.UUCP; lemke@apple.COM   AppleLink:  LEMKE
- ----- uucp:     pyramid!comdesign!ivucsb!steve       CompuServe: 73627,570
- ----- alt.uucp: {decwrl!}sun!apple!lemke             GEnie:      S.Lemke
- ----- Quote:    "What'd I go to college for?"   "You had fun, didn't you?"

jordan@ads.com (Jordan Hayes) (11/19/88)

	PacBell will put in a second line, if I want.

Last time I had a bunch of lines put in, my apt. was (obviously) not
wired for it.  I put in two 8-wire jacks next to each other, connected
with a 6" length of connectorized cable, and told them "bring me 3
lines" and it cost me the minimum $45 to do it, since they didn't have
to install jacks or anything, and i drilled a hole through the wall
near the jack for them to run the wire to.  It took the guy all day to
do the job (his dime, not mine) because the main block on the apt.
building did not have enough capacity, and there also wasn't enough
capacity from the box on the street to my apt. building.

"Do it yourself and save $$$"

/jordan