[comp.dcom.telecom] Nationwide Paging

reilly@AQUA.WHOI.EDU (Brendan Reilly) (03/09/88)

Has anyone had success using a nationwide paging service.
My experience so far has been that this industry is just
starting up, and that bugs need to be worked out.  Is anybody
out in front of the pack with a working system?

phillip@UUNET.UU.NET (Phillip Keen) (03/17/88)

In article <8803100903.AA09479@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, reilly@AQUA.WHOI.EDU (Brendan Reilly) writes:

> Has anyone had success using a nationwide paging service.
> My experience so far has been that this industry is just
> starting up, and that bugs need to be worked out.  Is anybody
> out in front of the pack with a working system?

Nationwide paging services are new, and so they need many improvements
and fixes.

--
Thanks,          Snail Address:  Phillip Keen
Phillip Keen                     2705 Martin

mgrant@cos.COM (Michael Grant) (03/17/88)

A while ago I did some research on nationwide paging.  I found 2
contenders at the moment.  There are atleast 2 others, Queue and
Megamessage which I was told were not worth looking into.  Queue's
system is based on FM SCA's which just don't work well.  I was told
that Megamessage wasn't really fully up yet, that might have changed
in the last couple of months.

Metrocast
---------

This company uses a pager which scans 14 frequencies in the 150 MHZ
range.  This technique allows them to use already built paging systems
to expand their market.  They say they have fairly complete coverage
in all of the major metropolitian areas.  Their pagers are strictly
alphanumeric.

Pager rental:
$23.00 / month

Service:
$17.00 / month + $1.50 per page (numeric or alphanumeric)
    or
$39.50 / month + $1.50 per alphanumeric page (UNLIMITED numeric paging)

This means:
$40.00 / month + 1.50 per page
    or
$62.50 / month + 1.50 per alphanumeric page (unlimited numeric paging)

National Satelite Paging
-------------------------

This company uses a 900 MHZ pager with satelite down links.  The
coverage is not nearly as complete as Metrocast, and they do not offer
alphanumeric paging at this time but will in the future.

$25.00 one time connect fee

Pager rental:
$15.00 / month

Service:
$33.00 / month + $0.50 / page
    or
$57.00 / month for unlimited paging

This means:
$48.00 + .50 per page per month
    or
$72.00 per month flat rate

Summary
-------

The advantage to NSP over Metrocast is that your pages go to the
entire country always, (but NSP tells me that this is going to change
in the future).  The advantage of Metrocast over NSP is the coverage
area.  With Metrocast, you tell it what area-code you will be
traveling in, and it sends your pages there.  Both have an 800 number
for which you can review your pages in case you missed one.  Metrocast
operates a 24 hour answering service which you can call to receive
missed pages.  Metrocast uses an alphanumeric pager, but you can send
it only numeric pages if you want.  This permits you to only use the
premium alphanumeric paging on an as needed basis.

I hope this helps you in your quest for information.

-Mike Grant

clark@beaver.cs.washington.edu (Roger Clark Swann) (11/14/88)

Just reading the newspaper here and came across another one of those ads
for a NATION-WIDE paging service.  This one is from METROCAST (R) -
Nationwide Alphanumeric Paging. I have seen these ads many times in the
past and have wondered how they work. Surely the target receiver is not
paged all across the country...   Does the person initiating the page need
to know what city the receiver is in ?  What happens when the receiver is
on board an airplane, high in the sky?

    *****     *****    *****    *   *       *   *****
   *     *   *     *  *        *   * *     *   *        Roger Swann
  ******    *     *  *****    *   *   *   *   *   ***  The Boeing Co.
 *      *  *     *  *        *   *     * *   *     *   Aerospace Div.
*******     *****  ******   *   *       *     *****
   uucp:  uw-beaver!ssc-vax!clark     voice: 206/657-5810

desnoyer@Apple.COM (Peter Desnoyers) (11/17/88)

In article <telecom-v08i0180m04@vector.UUCP> ssc-vax!clark@beaver.cs.washington.edu (Roger Clark Swann) writes:

>Just reading the newspaper here and came across another one of those ads
>for a NATION-WIDE paging service. [...] Surely the target receiver is not
>paged all across the country...
   Some companies do.

>Does the person initiating the page need to know what city the receiver
> is in ?
   If paged in one city, yes. In return, you pay less for the page.

>What happens when the receiver is on board an airplane, high in the sky?
   You lose. I think.

				Peter Desnoyers

disclaimer - this has nothing to do with Apple.

mgrant@cos.com (Michael Grant) (11/17/88)

  Does the person initiating the page need to know what city the
  receiver is in?

If you have a Metrocast pager, and you go to another city, you are
responsible to call an 800 number and tell it what area-code you are
in.  National Satelite Paging broadcasts the message throughout the
country.  I do not know how CUE does it.

  What happens when the receiver is on board an airplane, high in the
  sky?

With Metrocast and NSP, there is a way to replay previous pages over
this 800 number.

Last I looked, (about 6 months ago), NSP and Metrocast were the only 2
nationwide paging companies that really had systems working.  CUE has
a system up, but I'm told it's not very usable--lots of lost pages.

-Mike Grant

dorn@gatech.edu (11/22/88)

>>Just reading the newspaper here and came across another one of those ads
>>for a NATION-WIDE paging service. [...] Surely the target receiver is not
>>paged all across the country...
>   Some companies do.
Most companies do.  I have used a couple of different nationwide paging
services.  The best working one was Cue system, which distributes the paging
data stream by satellite to a large number of cities.  In each of the cities,
the paging data stream is modulated on to a subcarrier of a large FM radio
station.  My pager would scan the FM band for a radio station with the
specific recognizable subcarrier and monitor the stream of data, listenening
for its number and page data.  If it couldn't find one, it would say so on
the display, so I would know I was out of range.

>>Does the person initiating the page need to know what city the receiver
>> is in ?
>   If paged in one city, yes. In return, you pay less for the page.
No, absolutely not.  You dialed an 800 number, entered the ID number of the
pager, and then entered the number you wanted displayed on the pager. All
pages go all places, but the data rate is good enough to handle it, plus
it buffers them up.  Sometimes, during busy parts of the day, a page could
wait in the queue for 15 or 20 minutes before going out.

>>What happens when the receiver is on board an airplane, high in the sky?
>   You lose. I think.

Well, that depends,...  I received quite a few pages while on cross country
flights.  The scanning action of the pager tends to lock on some FM station
it can find, and when it loses that one, it scans for another.  There are
dead spots, but it works pretty well.  Also, one of the technical folks for
the paging company told me that they actually send each page a couple of times
on 10 to 15 minute intervals, but that the pager can recognize a duplicate by
some undisplayed serial number, so it only beeps on the first hit of a given
page.  This way, a momentary dead spot doesn't wipe you out.

Alan Dorn Hetzel, Jr.
gatech.edu!fabscal!dorn