[comp.dcom.telecom] Area 708/312/815

telecom@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Patrick Townson) (11/11/88)

There have been questions from readers recently about the exact nature of the
312/708 split set for next year.

312 will serve ONLY the city of Chicago. The newly created 708 will serve all
the suburban communities which are presently in 312. 815 will retain its
present boundaries; i.e. roughly Joliet/Wilmington/Lemont IL on its northeast
corner and McHenry/Fox Lake, IL as the eastern boundary further north. Aurora
will be the western edge of the new 708 area. This is intended to give just a
rough idea of the boundary.

708 will be unique in that it will be the only area code in the United States
broken into three distinct parts not separated by a waterway. One part of
708 will be completely surrounded on all sides by 312. On the far south side
of Chicago, a tiny piece of 312 will protrude out into 708. The 312/708
division will literally follow the boundary lines of the city of Chicago, and
those boundary lines are very ragged and irregular in some parts of the
northwest side of the city. For example, two independent villages are located
within the city of Chicago: Harwood Heights and Norridge, IL. Both will be
708.

The area between Ohare Airport (considered part of the city of Chicago but
not geographically connected to the city proper) and the towns of Des Plaines,
IL and Park Ridge, IL will be especially strange. An unincorporated area
called 'Norwood Township' is now partly served by Illinois Bell and partly
served by Centel. Some phones there will be 312, and others will be 708.

I think Chicago is the only city in the United States to have two actual
telephone operating companies within the city limits. While Illinois Bell has
almost the entire city, a tiny section of the northwest side is served by
Des Plaines based Central Telephone Company (Centel). Centel will now have
most of its exchanges in 708, but a few in 312.

The Illinois Bell central office known as Chicago-Newcastle will actually
have prefixes for *both* area codes in the same office, as will Centel, which
will have both area codes in its office on Minor Street in Des Plaines which
serves its relative handful of Chicago subscribers.

No decision has yet been reached on the two or three prefixes which overlap
the city and suburbs. One such prefix on the city's west side, in the
Chicago-Austin central office reaches out like a finger into a small sliver
in the town of Cicero, IL.

There will be a three month grace period, during which calls between 312 and
708 will be honored with seven digits, but with a short recorded announcement
forced on the line reminding the caller, 'in the future, dial 1, plus 708,
and the desired number.'  Then there will be approximatly a six month
period in which no new exchanges will be created in either area code which
currently exist in the other area code. About a year following the actual
split, the separation will be considered official and final. The first phase
of the split is scheduled to begin midway through 1989.

Patrick Townson

Lynn.ElSegundo@Xerox.COM (11/15/88)

Re: "I think Chicago is the only city in the United States to have two
actual
telephone operating companies within the city limits."

Not true.  The suburb of Los Angeles that I live in (Fountain Valley) is
split into a General Tel and a Pacific Tel area.  I believe that this also
occurs in many other nearby cities, including Los Angeles itself.  Since
the city boundaries of Los Angeles and its more than 100 suburb cities have
changed frequently, it would have been extremely impractical to keep the
division between General and Pacific from crossing some cities.

/Don Lynn

stevem@vector.uucp (Steven A. Minneman) (11/22/88)

 In telecom-v08i0177m04@vector.UUCP> telecom@bu-cs.BU.EDU (P. Townson) writes:

>I think Chicago is the only city in the United States to have two actual
>telephone operating companies within the city limits.

Although this article otherwise provided good info, this statement is untrue.
I know of at least one such other city. Novato, Ca in Marin county is on the
southern border of GTE territory.  The northern half of Novato is served by GTE
as part of 415 and the southern half of Novato is served by Pacific Bell (also
area code 415).  Interestingly, the remainder of the GTE territory in this part
of the state is 707 area code;  however, in order to keep Novato all in the
same area code, this part of GTE's service area is 415.