[comp.dcom.telecom] Need a device to prevent outgoing toll calls

sfq@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (11/15/88)

Is there a commercially-available, inexpensive, device to prevent outgoing
long-distance calls?  I have a friend whose daughter runs up bills of
$500 per month.

The phone company says they can't help (or that it will cost big bucks,
depending on who she talks to).

If I had a circuit, I could build it.  She's willing to go all-tone on her
phones, if that would help.

Thanks.

--
Stanley F. Quayle      N8SQ @ W8CQK     (614) 276-6557
{ohio-state | osu-cis}!bcd-dyn!sfq      3375 Fisher Rd., Columbus, OH  43201

rog@hpcilzb.hp.com (Roger Haaheim) (11/17/88)

Why doesn't she just control her daughter rather than the
phone line?

[Moderator's note: Roger raises a very good point, worthy of discussion
in a forum devoted to parent/child relationships. The horror stories in
the local media here (Chicago Tribune) when the Nine Hundred Service
Corporation first started operation were unbelievable. Illinois Bell
wound up writing off several *million* dollars in uncollectibles as a
good will gesture for parents who were stuck with phone bills typically
in the hundreds of dollars because of their inability to discipline and/
or control their children. Now the various Bells offer 976/1-900 blocking
on request. Why can't the parents handle this? **PLEASE** no response
to this mini-flame required....at least not here!  Patrick Townson]

neal@uunet.UU.NET (Neal Woodall) (11/22/88)

>Is there a device available which can be used to toll-restrict
>long-distance calls?  I have a friend whose daughter runs up bills of
>$500 per month.

Why doesn't she just tell her daughter to stop running up the phone bill? It
sounds to me like what she needs is to give her daughter a taste of some
kind of punishment, not some gadget to prevent outgoing phone calls.

BTW, things like this do exist, but I don't know where you can buy one.

Neal

apple.i.intel.com@marko (Mark O'Shea) (12/01/88)

I had a similar phone problem.  My local phone company set it up so that
no toll calls could be made from my phone or to my phone.  When I wanted
to call long distance I used my credit card.  I worked just like a pay
phone.  The operator would come on and ask for my billing.  It cost me
about $20 (one time) for the service.  It cost about the same to have it
removed once I no longer needed it.

I live in a small rural community with a local phone company, but we use
AT&T operators.

For those of you who say "...why doesn't she control her kid...".  Save your
posting and read it again after you have raised two or three teenagers.

Mark O'Shea
SDA

patth@nyu.edu (Patt Haring) (12/03/88)

{{{ Quoted text edited down to pass inews.			-chip	}}}

In article <telecom-v08i0185m04@vector.UUCP> nobody@vector.UUCP writes:
>>Is there a device available which can be used to toll-restrict
>>long-distance calls?
>Why doesn't she just tell her daughter to stop running up the phone bill? It
>sounds to me like what she needs is to give her daughter a taste of some
>kind of punishment, not some gadget to prevent outgoing phone calls.

'twould be nice if you cross-posted this stuff to misc.kids.

I do remember when my child first learned to dial the telephone; I'm
in NYC and soon discovered she liked the area code for HAWAII * sigh *

{{{ Keep in mind that the comp.dcom.telecom newsgroup is derived from	}}}
{{{ the Internet TELECOM Digest mailing list, and those folks do not	}}}
{{{ receive the USENET newsgroups per se.			-chip	}}}

uevans@uncecs.edu (Elizabeth A. Evans) (12/06/88)

In article <telecom-v08i0192m05@vector.UUCP> phri!dasys1!patth@nyu.edu (Patt Haring) writes:
>In article <telecom-v08i0185m04@vector.UUCP> nobody@vector.UUCP writes:
>>>Is there a device available which can be used to toll-restrict
>>>long-distance calls?
>>Why doesn't she just tell her daughter to stop running up the phone bill? It
>>sounds to me like what she needs is to give her daughter a taste of some
>>kind of punishment, not some gadget to prevent outgoing phone calls.

This kind of device would be useful for more than parents restricting
kids' access to toll telephone calls.  We have a shared pool of modems
available to our medical school network users.  In order to prevent
unauthorized toll-dialing by those users, we had to remove the ability
to manually dial out -- if the needed telephone number doesn't exist in
a list of numbers we think people will use, the users can't dial the
number.  It would be much nicer to let them dial other local numbers.

-- Elizabeth A. Evans                    internet:  uevans@med.unc.edu
   Office of Information Systems         usenet:    uevans@uncmed
   UNC-CH School of Medicine
   Chapel Hill, NC