[comp.dcom.telecom] Laser Beam as a ethernet backbone

kwongj@caldwr.UUCP (James Kwong) (11/23/88)

Laser Communications, Inc. sells a laser beam product that -
"Link Ethernet backbones atmospherically by laser beam to connect
site up to 1 kilometer apart without cables or FCC licensing".

The brochure says that speeds is  up to 10 megabits per second
in all weather. Low level output is harmless under even the
most unlikely operating conditions. The price is around $14,000
for two units.

Anyone has experience with this product or any similar
product that they might want to share with me.

Reply by e-mail would be fine.

Thanks

--
James Kwong  Calif. Depart. of H2O Resources, Sacramento, CA 95802
caldwr!kwongj@ucdavis.edu(Internet) ...!ucbvax!ucdavis!caldwr!kwongj (UUCP)

dhesi@vector.uucp (Rahul Dhesi) (12/01/88)

In article <telecom-v08i0186m01@vector.UUCP> kwongj@caldwr.UUCP writes:
>Laser Communications, Inc. sells a laser beam product that -
>"Link Ethernet backbones atmospherically by laser beam to connect
>site up to 1 kilometer apart without cables or FCC licensing".

The FCC controls all broadcasting.  The difference between a beam of
light and a shortwave transmission is just the frequency (wavelength).

Does the Communications Act, or other legislation that gives the FCC
authority over broadcasting, specify the frequency beyond which the FCC
has no jurisdiction?  If not, shining any beam of light, unless
specifically authorized by the FCC, is probably illegal.  Not only
outdoor lasers, but also automobile headlights, are probably in
violation.
--
Rahul Dhesi         UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!dhesi

ron@ron.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (12/02/88)

These guys had a mini demonstration at ComNet last year. They've been promising
to demo the thing to Rutgers for nearly two years now. It seems like they might
just be getting close now.  I'll let people know when they actually deliver.

-Ron

doug@merch.TANDY.COM (Doug Davis) (12/02/88)

Sorry the FCC has absolutly *NOTHING* to do with lasers, All forms of
laser and coherent radient emitting devices are controled by the
Food and Drug administration.  Lasers are specifically covered in
CFR-21 parts 1000.00 - 1040.30, stat 44 FR 52195 1979, and sec 358,
stat 82  1177-1179 (42 U.S.C. 263F)  Incidently these same areas
cover all federal regulations on *LIGHT* emitting produces, such
as the afformention automotive headlights..  Almost anyone who
commercially deals in a wide varity of lasers should be able to provide
you with copies of the relivent sections.

doug davis
--
LaserOptic
1030 Pleasent Valley Lane

{ motown!sys1, uiucuxc!sys1, texbell}!doug

donp@apollo.COM (Don Preuss) (12/08/88)

The National Institutes of Health has one of these set up
between two buildings. It took the company a few
trys to get it right, and the latest I heard was that they
are still getting a large number of retransmits.

It would seem to me that you would get a "loss of signal" during rain
or snow storms. This doesn't seem like a wonderfully reliable
system unless there were some kind of backup.

Also, If the laser was strong enough to punch through the
rain, wouldn't you zap birds with it?

donp

--
Arpa: donp@apollo.com
UUCP: uunet!mit-eddie!apollo!donp

jbn@glacier.stanford.edu (John B. Nagle) (12/12/88)

     This comes up every once in a while, and the definitive information is
as follows.

	The FCC has jurisdiction over "Radio", according to the Communications
Act of 1934, as amended.  "Radio Waves or Hertzian Waves" are defined in
47 CFR Ch. 1 part 2 subpart A section 2.1 as "Electronic waves of frequencies
arbitrarily lower than 3,000 GHz, propagated in space without artificial
guide."  So FCC regulation stops at 3,000 GHz.  The 3,000 GHz limit is by
international agreement (Radio Regulations, Geneva, 1982).  This limit is in
the very long infrared range.

In article <telecom-v08i0196m06@vector.UUCP> donp@apollo.COM (Don Preuss) writes:

>The National Institutes of Health has one of these set up
>between two buildings. It took the company a few
>trys to get it right, and the latest I heard was that they
>are still getting a large number of retransmits.

       Rain and snow are serious problems.  One thing that helps is to
use large collecting optics at both ends, so that the beam occupies a
physically larger diameter but remains collimated.  Usually a large parabolic
reflector is used.  This will improve operation in light rain and snow.
In heavy precipitation, though, optical systems just don't work.  To get
through heavy rain, you must use a wavelength bigger than raindrops.

					John Nagle