[comp.dcom.telecom] AT&T Improvements?

GREEN@wharton.upenn.edu (GREEN) (12/23/88)

Sometime in the past month, the sound quality of my AT&T ld calls improved
tremendously - you can practically hear Sprint's pin drop.  Does anyone
know if they've recently upgraded their lines?  My calls (Phila to CA, CT,
NY, GA) are (to my ear) totally without background hiss, so much so that
the first few times I thought the calls were on the way to an interception
recording.

dave@rutgers.edu (Dave Levenson) (12/26/88)

In article <telecom-v08i0207m04@vector.UUCP>, GREEN@wharton.upenn.edu (GREEN) writes:
> Sometime in the past month, the sound quality of my AT&T ld calls improved
> tremendously - you can practically hear Sprint's pin drop.  Does anyone
> know if they've recently upgraded their lines? ...

AT&T, in the face of competitive pressure, is rapidly replacing most
of its analog toll network with digital facilities.  A very good
signal-to-noise ratio is characteristic of digital transmission.
This is a long-term strategy, and is still in progress.  If you
suddenly noticed an improvement on all of your calls, it is more
likely that a new higher-quality facillity has just been installed
between your local central office and the AT&T switch (point of
presence) serving your area.

--
Dave Levenson
Westmark, Inc.		The Man in the Mooney