[comp.dcom.telecom] Wanted: Device to limit length of phone calls

kim@sgi.com (Kim Toms) (12/20/88)

I'd like to locate a device that will limit the length of a telephone
call to somewhat over an hour.  We have problems with some UUCP sites
that won't hang up their phone when we're done talking with them, and
I'd like to hang it up forcibly each 1.5 hours.

--
Kim L. Toms			...{pyramid,osu-cis}!mstar!kim
Morning Star Technologies	(614)451-1883

terry@uunet.UU.NET (Every system needs one) (12/23/88)

In article <telecom-v08i0205m06@vector.UUCP>, mstar!kim@sgi.com (Kim Toms) writes:
> We have problems with some UUCP sites
> that won't hang up their phone when we're done talking with them, and
> I'd like to hang it up forcibly each 1.5 hours.

Set your modem up correctly and run a small C program every 1.5 hours under
cron that ioctl()'s to drop DTR.

| Terry Lambert           UUCP: ...{ decvax, uunet } ...utah-cs!century!terry |
| @ Century Software        OR: ...utah-cs!uplherc!sp7040!obie!wsccs!terry    |
| SLC, Utah                                                                   |
|                   These opinions are not my companies, but if you find them |
|                   useful, send a $20.00 donation to Brisbane Australia...   |
|                   'I have an eight user poetic liscence' - me               |

dave@rutgers.edu (Dave Levenson) (12/26/88)

In article <telecom-v08i0208m07@vector.UUCP>, ccicpg!wsccs!terry@uunet.UU.NET (Every system needs one) writes:

> Set your modem up correctly and run a small C program every 1.5 hours under
> cron that ioctl()'s to drop DTR.

I don't think this will do what the original requestor wanted.  Suppose
this small C program runs at 09:00, when no-one is using the modem.
Nothing much happens.  A UUCP connection begins at 10:28 that should
last about five minutes.  But at 10:30 (two minutes into the five
minute call) the modem gets forcibly disconnected!

Create a shell script called uucico that gets spawned when a UUCP
transfer is initiated.  That shell script does two things:  It
spawns the real uucico (as a background process), and it sleeps for
1:30 and then disconnects the modem.  If it gets the SIGCLD while
it's sleeping, it may assume that it can disconnect the modem now,
and then terminate itself.

--
Dave Levenson
Westmark, Inc.		The Man in the Mooney