[comp.dcom.telecom] DTMF vs. Touch-Tone

prindle@NADC.ARPA (Frank Prindle) (12/21/88)

I'm curious when the term DTMF (Dual Tone Multi Frequency) became synonymous
with Touch Tone.  As I recall, DTMF once designated the set of dual-tone
frequencies used for in-band signaling on long distance trunks, which used
a completely different set of tones than Touch Tone, and was always generated
within the CO, not by any phone set (well, except for the "blue boxes").  I
understand that this signaling technology has pretty much faded out, but didn't
realize that TPC now uses the term DTMF to refer to Touch Tone (I can see
how DTMF is a generic enough term to cover both, but thought they were
historically quite different).  Is my memory bad?

Sincerely,
Frank Prindle
Prindle@NADC.arpa

jack@uunet.UU.NET (Jack Bonn) (12/22/88)

Frank Prindle (prindle@NADC.ARPA) writes:

> I'm curious when the term DTMF (Dual Tone Multi Frequency) became synonymous
> with Touch Tone.  As I recall, DTMF once designated the set of dual-tone
> frequencies used for in-band signaling on long distance trunks, which used
> a completely different set of tones than Touch Tone, and was always generated
> within the CO, not by any phone set (well, except for the "blue boxes").

The inter-office tone-based signaling system that was (is?) used in the US
is referred to as MF signaling.  It uses 2 out of 6 (2/6) tones to convey
register signaling information between central offices.  It also uses a
2600 Hz in-band supervisory signal on idle (the famous Cap'n Crunch tone)
and was non-compelled and operated on a link-by-link (rather than an
end-to-end) basis.

Although MF's in-band supervisory signaling was vulnerable to fraud,
its link-by-link, non-compelled nature gave it some definite speed
advantages over R2 which was the prevalent trunk signaling system in
most of the rest of the world at the same time.  R2 uses end-to-end
compelled signaling (where each tone is acknowledged) and is notoriously
slow.

I think that an international version of MF was called R1 in the
CCITT <color> books.

DTMF uses 7 or 8 frequencies, depending on the application, and is
used primarily as a subscriber-line signaling system (although it also
includes signaling between the CO and DID PABXs).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that DTMF was ever referred
to as MF or the other way around.
----
Jack Bonn, <> Software Labs, Ltd, Box 451, Easton CT  06612
uunet!swlabs!jack (UUCP)	jack%swlabs.uucp@uunet.uu.net (INTERNET)

ron@ron.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (12/23/88)

> I'm curious when the term DTMF (Dual Tone Multi Frequency) became synonymous
> with Touch Tone.

It has been since day 1, most frequently used because TouchTone is a trademark.

> As I recall, DTMF once designated the set of dual-tone
> frequencies used for in-band signaling on long distance trunks, which used

Those are referred to as simply "MF" tones.

grs@alobar.att.com (12/24/88)

>As I recall, DTMF once designated the set of dual-tone
>frequencies used for in-band signaling on long distance trunks, which used
>a completely different set of tones than Touch Tone, and was always generated
>within the CO, not by any phone set (well, except for the "blue boxes").

Almost.
What you're thinking of are MF, or Multi-Frequency tones.  DTMF has always
referred to "Touch Tone" tones.  Definitely an honest mistake :-)

Gregg Siegfried
grs@alobar.att.com

hayes@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Jim Hayes) (12/25/88)

prindle@NADC.ARPA (Frank Prindle) writes in article <telecom-v08i0206m06@vector.UUCP>:

>I'm curious when the term DTMF (Dual Tone Multi Frequency) became synonymous
>with Touch Tone.  As I recall, DTMF once designated the set of dual-tone
>frequencies used for in-band signaling on long distance trunks, which used
>a completely different set of tones than Touch Tone, and was always generated
>within the CO, not by any phone set (well, except for the "blue boxes").

The in-band signaling is called MTMF. (Multiple Tone-Multiple Frequency),
TouchTone has always been called DTMF.

MTMF is on its way out, but is certainly not gone yet and I doubt it
will fade completely anytime soon.

There is some great reading in _The Bell System Technical Journal_
(which has had several name changes over the years.)  I recently
visited the New York Public Library (the biggy in the middle of the
city) and got a complete tutorial on the evolution of ESS, cellular
phones, signaling, call routing and TSPS.  Free, written by the
designers.

Just find a empty microfilm machine and plan to spend about 8 hours reading.

-Jim Hayes                         Advanced Micro Devices, Inc., Sunnyvale CA.
                                   hayes@amdcad.amd.com
/earth: file system full           {ucbvax|sun|decwrl}!amdcad!hayes
                                   These are not opinions of AMD.

imp@crayview.msi.umn.edu (Chuck Lukaszewski) (12/26/88)

In article <telecom-v08i0206m06@vector.UUCP>, prindle@NADC.ARPA (Frank Prindle) writes:
> I'm curious when the term DTMF (Dual Tone Multi Frequency) became synonymous
> with Touch Tone.  As I recall, DTMF once designated the set of dual-tone
> frequencies used for in-band signaling on long distance trunks, which used
> a completely different set of tones than Touch Tone, and was always generated

Actually, DTMF has always been generated by premises telephones.  The in-band
signalling to which you refer was done with single MF tones which were on
200-Khz frequency multiples.  The DTMF tones, by contrast, are combinations of
highly unique frequencies to minimize the potential of duplicating them though
nature (or something like that - it's been a while).  The whole blue box thing
got started when the Bell System Technical Journal published a paper which
happened to contain the actual MF signalling frequencies.

Chuck Lukaszewski          imp@crayview.msi.umn.edu               612 789 0931

dave@rutgers.edu (Dave Levenson) (12/26/88)

In article <telecom-v08i0208m01@vector.UUCP>, swlabs!jack@uunet.UU.NET (Jack Bonn) writes:
> The inter-office tone-based signaling system that was (is?) used in the US
> is referred to as MF signaling.  It uses 2 out of 6 (2/6) tones to convey
> register signaling information between central offices.  It also uses a
> 2600 Hz in-band supervisory signal ...

Perhaps I'm nit-picking, but the MF singaling includes only the 2/6
tone set that conveys addressing information.  The in-band 2600 Hz
supervisory signaling (called SF) was often used on the same trunks
that also used MF, but the two are not related.  MF addressing is
also used on trunks with E&M and other kinds of out-of-band
supervisory signaling.  SF supervision was also used on trunks where
non-MF addressing was used.

I can remember (the 1960's) when electromechanical switches sent
dial-pulse signaling over inter-office trunks.  If SF supervision
was used on the trunks, the 2600 Hz supervisory signal was pulsed on
and off to transmit the pulses.  No MF was used.

The "blue box" only enabled its user to commit toll-fraud on trunks
where both SF and MF were used.  There are very few such circuits
still in use: As the toll networks become digital, supervision is
taken care of with a low-speed digitally-multiplexed channel which
occupies a single bit of the basic PCM timeslot.  As common channel
interoffice signalling (CCIS) is deployed, the address signalling
moves to dedicated channels.

--
Dave Levenson
Westmark, Inc.		The Man in the Mooney

In article <telecom-v08i0208m02@vector.UUCP>, ron@ron.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) writes:

> ... TouchTone is a trademark.

Actually, Touch Tone _was_ a trademark.
--

dave@rutgers.edu (Dave Levenson) (12/31/88)

In article <telecom-v08i0209m04@vector.UUCP>, imp@crayview.msi.umn.edu
(Chuck Lukaszewski) writes:
> Actually, DTMF has always been generated by premises telephones.  The in-band
> signalling to which you refer was done with single MF tones which were on
> 200-Khz frequency multiples....

Actually, the inter-office signaling uses tone-pairs.  Each digit
(and a couple of "control characters") is represented as two of
five tones.  The individual frequencies are spaced at 200 Hz (not
kHz) intervals.