[comp.dcom.telecom] Touch-Tone around the world

covert%covert.DEC@decwrl.dec.com (John R. Covert) (12/11/88)

>Also, does anybody know if the tone-dial equipment there [U.K. and Europe]
>uses the same tone-pairs as we do here?

Yes.  It is CCITT standard Q.31.

There are now a few (very few) U.K. exchanges which provide DTMF service to
subscribers.  Although System X can do it, very, very few exchanges permit
subscribers to use it.  DTMF is fairly common in PBXs, however, the U.K.
requires the DTMF level to be set quite low to prevent crosstalk, which also
tends to prevent transatlantic end-to-end signalling from working.

DTMF is much more common in France -- there are even DTMF payphones in a few
rare places.

In Germany, there is no DTMF in the public network, but essentially all PBXs
use DTMF.

/john

henry@GARP.MIT.EDU (Henry Mensch) (12/14/88)

   From: covert%covert.DEC@decwrl.dec.com (John R. Covert)
   Date: 11 Dec 88 10:46

   >Also, does anybody know if the tone-dial equipment there [U.K. and Europe]
   >uses the same tone-pairs as we do here?

   Yes.  It is CCITT standard Q.31.

   DTMF is much more common in France -- there are even DTMF payphones in a few
   rare places.

I've used DTMF phones in the Telehouse on Raadhuistraat in Amsterdam,
but I noted that there were *none* on the streets, and none installed
in the places i visited in the Netherlands.

The Federal Republic of Germany and West Berlin seem devoid of
touch-tone phones entirely!

# Henry Mensch  /  <henry@garp.mit.edu>  /  E40-379 MIT,  Cambridge, MA
# {decvax,harvard,mit-eddie}!garp!henry   /  <henry@uk.ac.sussex.cvaxa>

piet@uunet.UU.NET (Piet van Oostrum) (12/14/88)

A few months ago I got a new telephone number (second line). The telephone
(supplied by the telephone company (PTT)) was a new model, with a switch
between touch tone and pulse dialling. It works both ways. I think in
Holland most exchanges are now on touch tone.
--
Piet van Oostrum, Dept of Computer Science, University of Utrecht
Padualaan 14, P.O. Box 80.089, 3508 TB Utrecht, The Netherlands

henkp@uunet.UU.NET (Henk Peek) (12/20/88)

In article <telecom-v08i0201m03@vector.UUCP> you write:

>I've used DTMF phones in the Telehouse on Raadhuistraat in Amsterdam,
>but I noted that there were *none* on the streets, and none installed
>in the places i visited in the Netherlands.

In the Netherlands there are about 40% DTMF phones. About 60% of the
lines are "dual mode" and there is no free for DTMF. Only DTMF
will be enabled when you buy a DTMF phone of the PTT. May be this will
change when on 1 Jan 1989 monopoly of the Dutch PTT ends.
After this date they hold only the monopoly of the cables and the
public switches. Today there are also many DTMF payphones on the street.

># Henry Mensch  /  <henry@garp.mit.edu>  /  E40-379 MIT,  Cambridge, MA
># {decvax,harvard,mit-eddie}!garp!henry   /  <henry@uk.ac.sussex.cvaxa>

Henk Peek  ..!uunet!mcvax!nikhefk.UUCP   Amsterdam, The Netherlands

hrs@att.att.com (12/20/88)

DTMF is widely available in the Netherlands.  I brought a friend in Amsterdam
an AT&T 2500 set 6 years ago, and it worked fine. It is also available in
Japan, Australia, and a few exchanges in Switzerland.  I have also seen
it in Denmark and Norway, but don't know how prevalent it is.

Herman Silbiger  hrs@batavier.ATT.COM

news@uunet.UU.NET (12/23/88)

In Finland, DTMF is pretty common.  For example, in Jyvaskyla where I live
(a small city of around 70k inhabitants) the local telco automatically
provides DTMF for all new numbers (they get connected to their digital
exchange) and old numbers that use the older exchange can still upgrade
for DTMF service.  The payphones are almost all DTMF, and the newer models
also include a cute little LCD display showing your remaining time on your
coin.  The local telco provides also many extra-pay services like dual-
conversation lines, caller alerting etc.

When I've visited Sweden and Denmark, I haven't seen rotary diallers since
...er, I think it was in 1980 in Sweden.  But anyway, it's the hotels and
public places that get the DTMF's first, then the private subscribers.

As a side show, I've also had problems on long-distance connections in
Finland, and they sound a lot like the slippage problems that were described
here.  When I call Helsinki from Jyvaskyla, I keep getting these {'s almost
every five seconds !  The problem is, there are three (!) companies involved
in the mess: the local telco for Jyvaskyla area, the PTT (as the long-distance
carrier) and the Helsinki local telco.  The problem would seem to in the
PTT/Helsinki telco connection.  A lot on it I can do to it from here...

Otto J. Makela (with poetic license to kill), University of Jyvaskyla

InterNet: makela_otto_@jylk.jyu.fi, BitNet: MAKELA_OTTO_@FINJYU.BITNET
BBS: +358 41 211 562 (V.22bis/V.22/V.21, 24h/d)
Voice phone: +358 41 613 847
Mail: Kauppakatu 1 B 18, SF-40100 Jyvaskyla, Finland, EUROPE

desnoyer@Apple.COM (Peter Desnoyers) (01/04/89)

In article <telecom-v08i0208m04@vector.UUCP> mcvax!santra.hut.fi!news@uunet.UU.NET writes:

>As a side show, I've also had problems on long-distance connections in
>Finland, and they sound a lot like the slippage problems that were described
>here.  When I call Helsinki from Jyvaskyla, I keep getting these {'s almost
>every five seconds !  The problem is, there are three (!) companies involved
>in the mess: the local telco for Jyvaskyla area, the PTT (as the long-distance
>carrier) and the Helsinki local telco.  The problem would seem to in the
>PTT/Helsinki telco connection.  A lot on it I can do to it from here...

If (1) the '{'s appear regularly, rather than sporadically, (2) they
appear more often on more expensive calls, and (3) you don't have
itemized long distance billing in your area, you may be suffering from
metering pulses.  I know they used them recently in Sweden, but I
don't know whether other countries have used this billing method. The
idea is that the long-distance office sends these tone pulses (at
10-20kHz) at intervals representing some monetary unit worth of
service, and something remarkably like a gas meter records them at the
local office.

Some modems are immune to these pulses. With others, if this is indeed
the problem, you might be able to improvise a low-pass filter (or get
one from the PTT? sounds to practical to be true.) Of course, it could
be slips or bad noise, too.

				Peter Desnoyers