[comp.dcom.telecom] A Tiny Tim

sb@tis.llnl.gov (12/26/88)

My father is in need of information about hooking an automobile accident
victim to a computer (hopefully to give her speech).  Regretably, there is
not too much to work with, as she is brain damaged enough to make all motion
most complex.  Are there joy sticks that can be operated by tongue?  Is there
someone who has equipment that can read eye position so that she can look up
words on a screen.  It appears that most of the "smarts" are still intact,
but none of the wiring is hooked to a voluntary controller.

The exact functionality of the lady is unknown to me -- I have asked him for
more information.  If there are any points of contact or research, I would be
most obliged.  Thank you!

				--Bradley Smith
				(lll-tis!gmeeca!sb)
				     - or -
				(gmeeca!sb@tis.llnl.gov)

[Moderator's Note: How about it folks? Wouldn't it be a great New Year's
gift for this lady if Mr. Smith was able to get her connected with the
world once again because Telecom Digest readers figured out a way to do it?
This brings to mind the very wonderful work done by the old 'Bell System'
for many decades with physically handicapped people. Some incredible devices
were built to insure that the weakest and most helpless among us would be
able to communicate. Surely we should keep that spirit alive today. Please
go to work on this, and report your results here. Thanks so much. P. Townson]

jbn@glacier.stanford.edu (John B. Nagle) (12/31/88)

      Try contacting Dr. Larry Leifer of the Center for Design Research,
Stanford, who is involved with various VA-supported rehab programs.
He can be reached at "LEIFER@SIERRA.STANFORD.EDU".

					John Nagle

schwartz.osbunorth@xerox.com (01/04/89)

Re: "... hooking an automobile accident to a computer ..."

I just noticed the following item in "Online Today", the monthly magazine
of Compuserve:

Apple "Pickings" for the Disabled:

A packet of information on Apple computer resources for the handicapped is
available from Access Unlimited Speech Enterprises, a charitable,
non-profit, special technology corporation.

The package includes titles, descriptions and prices of talking and larger
print Apple software, accessories, peripherals and special hardware, such
as alternatives to the standard keyboard.

The products described in the packet are being used by the blind,
low-visioned, multiple-handicapped, mute, reading- or learning-disabled,
mentally retarded and hearing impaired.  Some are designed for users with
special needs, while others are general-market products that are
recommended additions to the Apple computer system used by a handicapped
child or adult.

When requesting a free information packet, include your name, organization,
address and telephone number, the nature of the disability being addressed,
computer of interest, and age or developmental level.  Information tailored
to your needs will be sent.  Mention that you heard of the packet in
"Online Today."  To order, call 800/531-5314 (nationwide) or 800/292-5619
(in Texas).

The organization also is selling a 10-minute VHS videotape of severely
handicapped children and young adults using Apple computers to demonstrate
the versatility of the machines.  The tape costs $45 plus $3.50 shipping
and handling.  To order, call 713/461-0006.

For information, contact Access Unlimited Speech Enterprises, 99039 Katy
Freeway, Suite 414, Houston TX 77024.

Information on computers and the handicapped is available in the
Disabilities Forum [on Compuserve] (GO DISABILITIES).

faigin@aerospace.aero.org (01/04/89)

According to my wife, California State University at Northridge just had a
conference on computer aids for the handicapped.  One of their gizmos that
made the local TV news was an interface that allowed an ALS patient to
communicate by focusing on words on a gridded CRT screen.  Said patient had
control over only his eye muscles.  You might want to contact folk over there
for more details (they have a lab that specializes in custom-fit computer aids
for the handicapped).

Daniel

--
Work : The Aerospace Corp M8/055 * POB 92957 * LA, CA 90009-2957 * 213/336-3149
Home : 8333 Columbus Avenue #17  * Sepulveda CA 91343            * 818/892-8555

ornitz@cs.rochester.edu (barry ornitz) (01/04/89)

I remember seeing a device in _QST_ magazine many years ago that might help.
(QST is an amateur radio magazine published by the American Radio Relay League
of Newington, CT.)  This device enabled a quadraplegic to operate a ham radio
by using a collection of plastic soda straws for the individual to puff into.
The straws connected to sensitive pressure switches that did the actual control
of the radio.  These switches are quite inexpensive and are available on the
surplus market.  The solid-state pressure transducers would also work if an
analog output were needed, or they could feed a comparator circuit.  These
switches could be wired in parallel with the cursor keys (with repeat) to give
a mouse-like functionality.  A pressure sensitivity on the order of ten to
twenty inches of water should be satisfactory.

Back in college, I helped make a number of modifications to radio equipment for
a friend who was a semi-quadraplegic - he could move his arms but not wrists
or fingers.  Amateur radio opened up a new world to my friend, and I am glad
to have been able to help.  If the idea of using pressure switches looks
promising in this application, I'll see what I can find for pressure sensors.
                                                      Barry
 -----------------
|  ___  ________  |
| |  / /        | |  Dr. Barry L. Ornitz  UUCP:..rutgers!rochester!kodak!ornitz
| | / /         | |  Eastman Kodak Company
| |< < K O D A K| |  Eastman Chemicals Division Research Laboratories
| | \ \         | |  P. O. Box 1972
| |__\ \________| |  Kingsport, TN  37662       615/229-4904
|                 |
 -----------------

rbthomas@aramis.rutgers.edu (Rick Thomas) (01/05/89)

An idea that I have often wondered about in this area involves some of
the results from the "bio-feedback" experiments that were done in the
60s and 70s.  It turns out that you can easily learn to consciously
control individual muscle fibers, as long as something is hooked to
them that can feed-back to you the information that they have twitched
or not.  This extends also to brain waves.  You can learn to enhance or
diminish the intensity of your own alpha and theta waves (The alpha
waves are indicators of a "meditative" brain state and the thetas are
indicative of a "concentrating-alert" brain state.  Learning to control
them can influence the degree of attentiveness you can muster to a
basically boring task, such as air-traffic control, but that is a
different story.)  I don't know for a fact -- but surmise -- that other
aspects of brain activity can be controlled consciously as well.  This
means that a person need have no motor control at all and can still
produce consciously controlled alterations in a measurable variable.
With appropriate computer support, this could be turned into a
communications channel.  There is even a company that markets a card
and software for IBM PC's and a head-band that measures brain activity
-- for use by "bio-feedback" hobbyists.  I believe they advertise in
BYTE -- I don't have the details handy though -- My BYTEs are at home
and I am at work.  With a PC, that card, and some home-brew software,
one could easily have a brain-driven word processor.  With some
(relatively) cheap hobbyist robotics hardware and some home-brew
software, it could become a manipulative prosthesis.  The possibilities
are endless.
--

Rick Thomas
uucp: {ames, cbosgd, harvard, moss, seismo}!rutgers!caip.rutgers.edu!rbthomas

rowan@otc.oz (Rowan Munchenberg) (01/06/89)

At the University of Adelaide (Australia) one of the Researchers has developed
a device called "CEDRIC" which determines where on a screen a users eye is
directed. This is used to enable severly handicapped to interface to a computer
and possibly voice synthesis software. The user selects words from screen menus,
or letters if the word is not available, to form sentences or instructions to
the computer.

This summary is of the work about 12 months previous. If there is interest I
can contract the person involved, Andrew Downing, for more details. To my
knowledge this is a product that is already marketed but I am not certain of
this.

e-mail to me for further information if required.

Rowan Munchenberg
Overseas Telecommunications Commission, Australia
SNAIL: GPO Box 7000 Sydney Australia 2001
E-MAIL: uunet!munnari!otc!rowan
	uunet!munnari!rowan@otc.oz

jec@ames.arc.nasa.gov (John Carter ATLN SADM) (01/06/89)

In article <telecom-v08i0212m04@vector.UUCP>, gmeeca!sb@tis.llnl.gov writes:
> My father is in need of information about hooking an automobile accident
> victim to a computer (hopefully to give her speech).  Regretably, there is
> not too much to work with, as she is brain damaged enough to make all motion
> most complex.  Are there joy sticks that can be operated by tongue?  Is there
> someone who has equipment that can read eye position so that she can look up
> words on a screen.  It appears that most of the "smarts" are still intact,
> but none of the wiring is hooked to a voluntary controller.

Many requests for interfaces for handicapped people are posted on Usenet, but
I don't remember seeing anyone pointed to the handicap forum on Compu$erve.

The time it would take to make a request for this type information would be
very inexpensive (even at $12+/hour), and the responses would be from people
who are involved with (or are themselves) handicapped persons.

I haven't been on the handicap forum, so I don't know the absolute level of
expertise there, but if some of the other 'hardware' related forums are any
example, this would be an excellent place to look.

If the original poster will contact me, I'll try to retrieve data related
to the specifics of the handicapped person's abilities.
--
USnail: John Carter, AT&T, 401 W. Peachtree, FLOC 2932-6, Atlanta GA 30308
Video:	...att!nesac2!jec    Voice: 404+581-6239

schwartz.osbunorth@xerox.com (01/10/89)

Still more on "... hooking an automobile accident to a computer ..."

The January 8 edition of the San Jose Mercury News (Section F, pages 1, 7)
had an article entitled "Disabled find jobs on-line."  The article lists
the following local agencies "that can help the disabled obtain computer
training."

1. The Bridge Project: Sunnyvale (408) 736-9041
2. Project Hired: Sunnyvale (408) 730-0880
3. The California Department of Rehabilitation: San Jose (408) 277-1350
4. The CIL-Computer Training Center: Berkeley (415) 849-2911 (voice or TTY)
5. Disabled Programmers Inc.: San Jose (408) 629-3700

The article has more information on each of these organizations.