[comp.dcom.telecom] NPA/COC list

pdg@chinet.chi.il.us (01/10/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0006m06@vector.UUCP> shaver@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu (Dave Shaver) writes:
>Does anyone have an Area Code and NNX list?

Yes, Bellcore does.  They administer the master lists.  There are three
main `lists', The LERG, the V&H and the TPM.  The LERG (Local
Exchange Routing Guide) is used mainly for routing.  There are quite
a few (nine I think) data files on a LERG tape, each with different
information.  For instance, LERG 2 contains a CIC list.  Lerg 8 I think
has your NPA/COC list and contains info such as the switch type of
the CO, the place name, etc.  The V&H is used for rating.  It
consists of one data file which for every NPA/COC contains info such
as the place name, and vertical and horizontal mileage coordinates
relative to a grid superimposed on north america.  These coordinates
are used for calculating the distance of a call, and fitting this
into a mileage band chart to get first and additional minute rates
(these are published inb FCC tariff #2).  This is (generally) how
your phone call costs are done - although there are other methods
and losts of quirks, especially in intralata rating.  The placename
in the V&H is the name that will end up on your phone bill.  The TPM
(Termination point master) is an extension of the V&H which includes
such info as credit card prefixes, including corporate cards.
Anybody can order a V&H or LERG (they're not cheap though), but the
TPM is restricted to BOCs, LECs and independants.

>[Moderator's Note: Such a list, if it exists, would be hopelessly out of
>date in a short time.

Not so.  The LERG and V&H have update info built in for about 6
months ahead, including a field that says when the change becomes
effective.  There are also update services (Addison Wesley runs one)
that have both mailed and on-line updates.

Paul Guthrie
chinet!nsacray!paul