[comp.dcom.telecom] Cellular Info

tim@Athena.UUCP (Tim Dawson) (01/12/89)

In article <telecom-v08i0193m02@vector.UUCP> ghg@en.ecn.purdue.edu (George Goble) writes:

>I just got off the phone with John Covert.  He had information which
>said that ATT (when they went to #4 ESS toll switches) was the cause
>of the roamer ports going off hook.  The #4 ESS only allows a one-way
>connection until the remote end goes off hook.

To provide some added information, this is referred to as answer supervision
in the telephone industry, and must be known and programmed in both the
Cellular switch and the serving CO.  The "off-hook" on the roamer port is
actually generated in the Cellular switch, not by Bell.  The reason for this
is that due to the connection only being one way initally, if the Cellular
switch does not return Early Answer Supervision (I.E. when the switch Connects
as opposed to a mobile phone answering), the audio path from Bell to the
Cellular system is never established and the dialed digits never make it to
the Cellular system which then times out and fails the call. Answer supervision
is NOT the same thing as an off-hook condition.  Answer supervision typically
consists of a wink being returned to th C.O (E&M signalling at least) by the
Cellular system and is totally irrelevant as to whether the Cellular switch is
actually connected to and "listening to" the trunk circuit.  The primary reason
that Bell uses this is probably just as likely to be to increase billable
revenue as it is to prevent toll fraud.  Bell feels that they have every right
to bill for a call (local or long distance) which terminates to a Cellular
system roamer port since they ARE passing audio and the call is utilizing their
facilities for a period of time (while you dial the mobile number after
receiving the second dial tone).  Hopefully someday the Bell companies
will agree to exchange billing information with the Cellular carriers and then
what is known as Calling Party Billing (where the person who called eats the
entire bill INCLUDING the cellular air time, instead of just a local call or
whatever, just like a normal long distance land-land call) will be possible.
Then whenever that jerk salesman trying to sell you widget X of a wrong number
comes in, you could rest comfortably knowing that you won't have to pay for it!

tad
(First posting, so no signature yet!)