[comp.dcom.telecom] How US West handles 976 Blocking

sewilco@datapg.MN.ORG (Scot E Wilcoxon) (01/25/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0021m03@vector.UUCP> dgc@math.ucla.edu writes:
>2.  When we had finally were able to have 976 numbers blocked, our local
>    telco (General Telephone) informed us, IN WRITING, that, pursuant
>    to Federal law, it was not blocking out-of-state, long-distance 976
>    numbers.  Whether some individual long-distance services do so, I

US WEST's 976 information says "The following type of calls are denied
access to Dial Data 976 Service." (then states sometimes it may not
be able to deny all of them...)

	Inter-LATA, Intra-LATA, Calling Card, Third Number Billing,
	Coin & Coinless Originated, Operator Assisted, Hotel Originated,
	WATS, Feature Groups ABC&D, Independent Originated.

So perhaps GT cannot block your attempts to call long-distance 976, but
the distant CO might block the call.  I guess the federal laws preserve
your ability to call anyone, but who you're calling can refuse to accept
your call.
--
Scot E. Wilcoxon  sewilco@DataPg.MN.ORG    {amdahl|hpda}!bungia!datapg!sewilco
Data Progress 	 UNIX masts & rigging  +1 612-825-2607    uunet!datapg!sewilco