[comp.dcom.telecom] ATT commerical

palmer@hsi.UUCP (Mike Palmer) (01/18/89)

In article <9300027@m.cs.uiuc.edu> kadie@m.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>ATT is running a new set of commericals (I guess they got
>tired of the "slice of death" series).
>
>In one of the new commerials the guy says something to the effect
>"Yea, we cost more on the first minute, but how often do you make
>  one minute phone calls?"
>
>Do the rates really converge? Or are they trying to help people
>rationalize sticking with a more expensive service.

About a year and a half ago, the phone company sent me a notice about
having to choose my long distance carier along with all the option
in my area and their phone numbers.  I proceeded to call each one and
ask about their rates.  everyone of them asked me for a long distance
number that I called often and then quoted rates.  All the non-AT&T
companies also gave comparisons with AT&T for 2-4 minute calls.  As
I remember, AT&T's rates were something like 15 cents for the first
minute and 9 cents for each additional minute.  All the other companies
were 12 cents for the first minute and 10 cents for each additional
minute.  A little quick math and the realization that most of my calls
were of the 10 minute variety and my long distance carrier became AT&T.

--
======= Mike Palmer			{uunet,noao,yale}!hsi!palmer =======
======= Health Systems International	palmer@hsi.com		     =======

john@zygot.UUCP (John Higdon) (01/25/89)

In article <7303@ihlpf.ATT.COM>, jnl@ihlpf.ATT.COM (John N. Le) writes:
> Even if AT&T rates are higher in some cases, so what.  If you like
> to pay less, it's your choice, but I wish you luck if you try to demand
> from your LD company the same high quality service that AT&T are doing
> for yearssssss.

But now it's 1989, and the old stand-by reliable hissy analog
connections still provided by AT&T are a little passe. Occasionally, I
get a digital transcontinental connection from AT&T, but it's a small
percentage of the time and only to major metro areas. Sprint on the
other hand, seems to provide fast, reliable digital connections
virtually everywhere. I'd use them if their rates were higher, but
they're *lower*.
--
John Higdon
john@zygot   ..sun!{apple|cohesive|pacbell}!zygot!john