[comp.dcom.telecom] cheap & easy circuit backup

ben@Sun.COM (ben ullrich) (01/24/89)

Every once in awhile, out local telco manages to cripple our customer support
(among other things) by cutting several of our analog circuits.  this seems to
happen because the area we're in is under heavy construction, but nevertheless
we're looking to get some sort of backup for out incoming and outgoing
circuits for this and other (perhaps more disastrous) outages.

we're looking for something that won't be too expensive, since we are something
of a smallish operation (only 16 did's and 16 co trunks) and don't have a lot
of money to dump into something we'll almost never need.

one idea being kicked around is plain ol cellular phones.  the budget-writers
here really like this one, but i'd like to know what others more experienced in
both cellular and backup systems have to say.  i'd also like suggestions for
inexpensive backup circuits.

the general end is to skip the local telco in the area from our building to the
CO.  this seems to me to require the the solution be wireless.  (microwave is
too expensive).

thanks to any help you folks can provide.  please mail to me, and i'll
summarize if there are enough responses.

...ben
----
ben ullrich	consider my words disclaimed,if you consider them at all
sybase, inc.		"everybody gets so much information all day long that
emeryville, ca	 	 they lose their common sense." -- gertrude stein
(415) 596 - 3654
ben%sybase.com@sun.com		{pyramid,pacbell,sun,lll-tis,capmkt}!sybase!ben

dave@rutgers.edu (Dave Levenson) (01/27/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0026m01@vector.UUCP>, sybase!calvin!ben@Sun.COM (ben ullrich) writes:
>we're looking for something that won't be too expensive, since we're something
>of a smallish operation (only 16 did's and 16 co trunks) and don't have a lot
>of money to dump into something we'll almost never need.
>
>one idea being kicked around is plain ol cellular phones...

The use of cellular portable phones as backups when your CO trunks
fail sounds like a good idea.  But before you invest in them
(approximately $1000 per telephone, and about $30/month per
telephone before you make the first call) make sure you have decent
radio coverage at your location.  A cellular dealer ought to be able
to demonstrate his product at your location.  Also, be aware that
conversations on such phones are public.  Eavesdropping on cellular
is illegal, but its also easy to do, and widely done, and the law is
hard to enforce.

--
Dave Levenson
Westmark, Inc.		The Man in the Mooney