[comp.dcom.telecom] area code map

cmoore@BRL.MIL (VLD/VMB) (01/25/89)

I could not get mail thru to nelson@kodak.com , so I am rephrasing this some-
what to make it more of general interest.
I saw mention of 1953 Binghamton phone book; did it have an area code map?
I was wondering if there were any area code splits before 305/904 in 1965.

smk@sfsup.UUCP (Stan Krieger) (01/27/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0027m06@vector.UUCP>, cmoore@BRL.MIL (VLD/VMB) writes:
> I saw mention of 1953 Binghamton phone book; did it have an area code map?
> I was wondering if there were any area code splits before 305/904 in 1965.

	When DDD came to Atlantic City, NJ in 1961, besides detailed
	instructions on how to use Area Codes, etc, we were told that
	Area Codes were not required to any call in NJ, although the
	map showed the 201/609 split.  There was one list of central
	office codes and the approximate name of the locality served.
	A few years later, we were told to start using 201 for calls
	to Northern NJ.

	I have since heard that the algorithm for Area Codes was orginally
	something like this-

	   1.	States with one area code had its second digit as 0;
		states with multiple area codes had all its area codes
		with a second digit as 1.

	   2.   Lower numbers were reserved for areas with a large
		number of phones, so the time to dial NYC (212) for
		example took less time than less populated areas
		(like the state of Wyoming).

	As I further heard, NJ was originally just one area code
	(201), but it got split before DDD really got moving.
--
Stan Krieger
Summit NJ

nelson@kodak.com (bruce nelson) (01/27/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0027m06@vector.UUCP> cmoore@BRL.MIL (VLD/VMB) writes:
>I saw mention of 1953 Binghamton phone book; did it have an area code map?
>I was wondering if there were any area code splits before 305/904 in 1965.

There weren't any area codes before the 60's. To call long distance, you had
to tell the operator what city and number you were calling. Some of the phone
numbers in that book were of the form HArpersville 3C20. They were changed to
AC + 7 digits when DDD was introduced.

Bruce Nelson
Eastman Kodak Co.
(standard disclaimers)

john@apple.com (John Higdon) (01/27/89)

On Jan 26 at 19:17, bruce nelson writes:
> There weren't any area codes before the 60's. To call long distance, you had
> to tell the operator what city and number you were calling.

Excuse me. The NPA was established in about 1951. I happen to have a
local 1956 telephone directory with an area code map and long distance
dialing instructions. I remember that Grandma's phone number was
preceded by "816" (she lived in Independence, MO) and then, as now, a
"1" was not dialed before long distance. The operator was used only for
collect, third party billing, and person to person calls.

There certainly were area codes before the sixties!

--
John Higdon
john@zygot   ..sun!{apple|cohesive|pacbell}!zygot!john