[comp.dcom.telecom] Query about Telebit

loyd@cs.utexas.edu (Loyd Blankenship) (01/16/89)

I have been reading about the wonders of the Telebit, and was curious as to
the availability of software for the PC to run a BBS with it.  I'd like to
be able to use the modem with my Amiga for getting news, and run a BBS with
it on my AT clone.  Currently I'm using Wayne Bell's WWIV 3.xx software.
Is the Telebit compatible with standard AT-style Hayes commands?

Loyd Blankenship
cs.utexas.edu!nth!loyd   (UUCP)
Nth Graphics Ltd
Austin, TX

Disclaimers, etc...

boottrax@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Perry Victor Lea) (01/24/89)

  Do not use a Telebit modem on an amiga, that is if it's over 9600 baud.
Amiga systems use as a standard US Robotics ONLY! I have never found a 9600 +
baud system that operates with a US robotics. US, has promised to upgrade
their modems and promise compatibility. Without one, people will not be able
to call your BBS, trust me, I use one, and run a bbs.

[-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-]
| "Undermine their pompous authority, make anarchy and disorder your          |
o  trademarks cause as much disruption and chaos as possible, but don't let   o
|  them take you alive" -  Sid Vicious                                        |
o                           ____ ____                                         o
|                           Boo\ /rax      bootrax@csd4.milw.wisc.edu         |
[-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-]

david%ms.uky.edu@E.MS.UKY.EDU (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) (01/27/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0026m08@vector.UUCP> boottrax@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Perry Victor Lea) writes:

>  Do not use a Telebit modem on an amiga, that is if it's over 9600 baud.
>Amiga systems use as a standard US Robotics ONLY! I have never found a 9600 +
>baud system that operates with a US robotics. US, has promised to upgrade
>their modems and promise compatibility. Without one, people will not be able
>to call your BBS, trust me, I use one, and run a bbs.

WHAT?!?!?!

I've had my trailblazer hooked to my amiga and it worked just fine thank you.
Perry, you're very very very confused ...

Now if what you were trying to say is that BBS owners generally have
US Robotics modems and if most of your business is with BBS's, then
yes I agree you should get one of those modems.  But my understanding
with US Robotics modems is that even though they use V.29 there's
a couple of funny things they do that makes the modem basically only
useful with another USR modem.

Of course I'm in nearly the same boat with my trailblazer, but I rest
confident in that technically (at least) I made a better choice.  Also,
I'm a Unix person and Unix sites tend to have trailblazers ...
--
<-- David Herron; an MMDF guy                              <david@ms.uky.edu>
<-- ska: David le casse\*'      {rutgers,uunet}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET

guy@b11.INGR.COM (Guy Streeter) (01/28/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0026m08@vector.UUCP> boottrax@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Perry Victor Lea) writes:

>  Do not use a Telebit modem on an amiga, that is if it's over 9600 baud.
>Amiga systems use as a standard US Robotics ONLY!...

I fail to comprehend these statements.  Perhaps you mean to say that some
piece of software you are running assumes it is talking to a USR modem, and
is also incapable of >9600 baud?  Nothing about the Amiga, hardware or system
software, prevents th use of its serial port at higher speeds, or requires
the use of a USR modem.

--
Guy Streeter
b11!guy@ingr.com

desnoyer@Apple.COM (Peter Desnoyers) (01/31/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0033m05@vector.UUCP> david%ms.uky.edu@E.MS.UKY.EDU (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) writes:
>In article <telecom-v09i0026m08@vector.UUCP> boottrax@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Perry Victor Lea) writes:
>
>>  Do not use a Telebit modem on an amiga, that is if it's over 9600 baud.
>>Amiga systems use as a standard US Robotics ONLY! I have never found a 9600 +
>>baud system that operates with a US robotics.
>
>[...] But my understanding
>with US Robotics modems is that even though they use V.29 there's
>a couple of funny things they do that makes the modem basically only
>useful with another USR modem.

US Robotics COURRIER HST modems use a proprietary modulation scheme
which looks like V.29 in the forward direction with a tiny bit of
bandwidth down around 300 Hz for a 300 bps reverse channel without
echo cancellation. (a scheme like this has been proposed for
standardization, and has gone under the temporary name V.asm - asm for
asymmetric.) It runs a hacked version of MNP, which you don't really
want to turn off.

It sounds like a good idea, but it loses because MNP, even for single
characters, is just too slow  over the 300bps channel. Telebits or
ping-pong V.29 modems will give you much better response time. With
the Telebit, it can spoof Kermit or UUCP, instead of having MNP
fighting your transfer protocol to slow things down.

There are a lot of things I haven't explained in this article, but I
didn't want to write 5 or 10 pages. E-mail me if you want more
discussion on the technical (as opposed to practical :-) merits of
various modems.

				Peter Desnoyers