[comp.dcom.telecom] Excuses instead of info

rog@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Roger Haaheim) (12/29/88)

Back in the good old days...one could dial a special number,
hang up, and the dialing phone would ring;  some kind of
echo.  It was used by phonefolks who came to fix the phone,
to check to see if it was working.  They had no problem
telling the customer what that number was so the customer
could dial back to him/herself.  Why has that capability
become proprietary?  I know it's still done, but when I
ask...excuses, but no number.  How come?

jacobson@gamma.eecs.nwu.edu (Dan Jacobson) (01/04/89)

>Back in the good old days...one could dial a special number,
>hang up, and the dialing phone would ring;  some kind of

Here in Evanston, IL, beginning a few years ago you had to put a "1"
in front of the test sequence that you used to use.

In Evanston, depending on your prefix, 475, 328, ...
you have to use one of 571...576, I'm not sure how they map.
Other cities should also use the same 571...576 set.

My house, say 475-9999, uses:
dial 1-572-9999, hear funny tone, click phone, hear tone, hang up, it rings.
You can loop here^^^^ ^^^^^ ^^^^^ ^^^^^ ^^^^^^ ^^^^ ^^^^^ ^^^^ ^^^ ^^ ^^^^^

I have my phone bell hooked up (via a Fone-Flasher (Radio Shack)) to a
circle of christmas lights around my room.  When the phone rings it's
a "ring of fire," especially when just waking up.  So that test number
is great for entertaining guests.
--
Dan Jacobson, jacobson@eecs.nwu.edu, {oddjob,gargoyle,att,...}!nucsrl!jacobson

[Moderator's Note: Evanston and Chicago are the same difference, telephonically
speaking. Dan is a few blocks up the street from my house. We in Chicago use
1-571-your last four digits through 1-577-last four. Whether the key is 571,
572,573,574,575,576 or 577 is an arbitrary decision in the CO.]

donn@beaver.cs.washington.edu (Donn Pedro) (01/07/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0001m01@vector.UUCP>, hp-sdd!rog@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Roger Haaheim) writes:
> Back in the good old days...one could dial a special number,
> hang up, and the dialing phone would ring;  some kind of
> echo.  It was used by phonefolks who came to fix the phone,
> to check to see if it was working.  They had no problem
> telling the customer what that number was so the customer
> could dial back to him/herself.  Why has that capability
> become proprietary?  I know it's still done, but when I
> ask...excuses, but no number.  How come?

Because while i worked for Pacific Bell in California those
numbers were limited to a very few per central office. If
I gave out the ringback codes to everyone who asked it would
not be available for our use for testing. People used it to
busy out their phones so as not to be disturbed.

How convenient! They did not want to disconnect their phone
so it would ring like they were not home.

So thats why you werent privvy to that info. Its proprietary
information necessary to the function of the repair tech and gets
abused by the general public when it gets out.

Former phone man,

	Donn F Pedro  {the known world}!uw-beaver!tikal!mcgp1!donn
                 "You talk the talk. Do you walk the walk?"

chk@uunet.UU.NET (C. Harald Koch) (01/07/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0004m04@vector.UUCP> jacobson@gamma.eecs.nwu.edu (Dan Jacobson) writes:

>My house, say 475-9999, uses:
>dial 1-572-9999, hear funny tone, click phone, hear tone, hang up, it rings.
>You can loop here^^^^ ^^^^^ ^^^^^ ^^^^^ ^^^^^^ ^^^^ ^^^^^ ^^^^ ^^^ ^^ ^^^^^

Here in Toronto, you can use 57x-xxxx, where x-xxxx are the last five digits
of your phone number. This only works on touch-tone phone lines though.
(If the exchange supports touch-tone, but you haven't suscribed, it doesn't
work).

--
C. Harald Koch		NTT Systems, Inc., Toronto, Ontario
chk@zorac.dciem.dnd.ca, chk@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu, chk@chkent.UUCP

childers@avsd (01/17/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0007m03@vector.UUCP> mcgp1!donn@beaver.cs.washington.edu (Donn Pedro) writes:

>If I gave out the ringback codes to everyone who asked it would
>not be available for our use for testing. People used it to
>busy out their phones so as not to be disturbed.

Can you document this, or is this what your supervisor told you to say ?

>	Donn F Pedro  {the known world}!uw-beaver!tikal!mcgp1!donn

-- richard

jbh@mibte.UUCP (James Harvey) (01/30/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0021m07@vector.UUCP>, childers@avsd writes:
> In article <telecom-v09i0007m03@vector.UUCP> mcgp1!donn@beaver.cs.washington.edu (Donn Pedro) writes:
>
> >If I gave out the ringback codes to everyone who asked it would
> >not be available for our use for testing. People used it to
> >busy out their phones so as not to be disturbed.
>
> Can you document this, or is this what your supervisor told you to say ?
>
> >	Donn F Pedro  {the known world}!uw-beaver!tikal!mcgp1!donn
>
> -- richard

YES, supervisors tell you to say this, it's TRUE.  More
frequently, people use the ringback numbers as an intercom, (call
ringback, wait till somebody upstairs picks up extension, talk).
--

Jim Harvey                        |      "Ask not for whom the bell
Michigan Bell Telephone           |      tolls and you will only pay

ulysses!gamma!mibte!jbh

davef@brspyr1.brs.com (Dave Fiske) (02/03/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0038m05@vector.UUCP>, jbh@mibte.UUCP (James Harvey) writes:
< In article <telecom-v09i0021m07@vector.UUCP>, childers@avsd writes:
< > In article <telecom-v09i0007m03@vector.UUCP> mcgp1!donn@beaver.cs.washington.edu (Donn Pedro) writes:
< >
< > >If I gave out the ringback codes to everyone who asked it would
< > >not be available for our use for testing. People used it to
< > >busy out their phones so as not to be disturbed.
< >
< > Can you document this, or is this what your supervisor told you to say ?
< YES, supervisors tell you to say this, it's TRUE.  More
< frequently, people use the ringback numbers as an intercom, (call
< ringback, wait till somebody upstairs picks up extension, talk).

In Connecticut, back in the '60s, we used to dial 1199 to make the phone ring
to be able to talk to someone who was upstairs, etc.  My father used to like to
do this, and put on phony voices to try and fool other members of the family.
I myself once came up with the idea of, as the family was leaving to go
shopping, dialing the ringback number as I left the house.  An hour later, when
we returned, I watched in glee as the rest of the family rushed to unlock the
door.  "Hurry up!  The phone is ringing."

It never occurred to us that we might be tying up phone company resources, so I
can imagine, with lots of people doing this wantonly, it could easily become a
problem.

Even now, a friend of mine leaves his phone off-hook if he leaves the house
while he's expecting a call.  He seems to figure that if people get a busy
signal they're more likely to call back than if they think he's not home (?).
He did this once when I was there, and the phone started making all its
electronic barking noises, then the recording, and I said something about it.
His attitude was that it couldn't possibly hurt anything, which doesn't explain
why the phone company has gone to such trouble to put all those warnings on
there.
--
"FLYING ELEPHANTS DROP COW           Dave Fiske  (davef@brspyr1.BRS.COM)
 PIES ON HORRIFIED CROWD!"