[comp.dcom.telecom] More Thoughts on Starlink

telecom@bu-cs.BU.EDU (TELECOM Moderator) (01/30/89)

Actually, after 'putting the Digest to bed' early Monday morning with issue
37, I did some more thinking about the pricing. I did this after getting
ready for bed when I had my shoes off so I could count higher than ten by
using my toes.

If you consider strictly the dollar amount -- no other factors -- then
Starlink becomes more expensive than Telenet PCP after about 12 hours per
month. I would not recommend it to anyone merely as a way to 'save money
on data calls'. I'd say the only advantage to Starlink is if you find a
place on the chart published yesterday which is not served by PCP which you
call regularly. Or, if you want to make use of their own service including
the links to the various news services, etc. Your $10 or $25 per month fee
is not purely an administrative charge: they do give you time 'for free'
on their own system to offset the monthly fee.

I'd like to hear the experiences of some of you who subscribe to Starlink
after a month or so of using it. They also claim their 'throughput' is
much faster than Telenet, meaning you would probably spend less time on line
each day. Who knows, maybe you could get done in 12 hours what formerly took
30 hours on PCP?

Patrick

sl@uunet.UU.NET (pri=-10 Stuart Lynne) (02/04/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0038m06@vector.UUCP> telecom@bu-cs.BU.EDU (TELECOM Moderator) writes:

>I'd like to hear the experiences of some of you who subscribe to Starlink
>after a month or so of using it. They also claim their 'throughput' is
>much faster than Telenet, meaning you would probably spend less time on line
>each day. Who knows, maybe you could get done in 12 hours what formerly took
>30 hours on PCP?

I havn't used either in the past few years, but Tymnet used to have a
reputation for pumping data a bit more efficently than Telenet.

As I remember Tyment is *not* an X.25 network internally.

Does anyone out there have some uptodate info?

--
Stuart.Lynne@wimsey.bc.ca {ubc-cs,uunet}!van-bc!sl     Vancouver,BC,604-937-7532