[comp.dcom.telecom] Cellular Setup

boottrax@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Perry Victor Lea) (01/21/89)

Question: How is phase shifting actually involved in communications between the mobile unit and the switching office ?

Question: Is it possible to access cellular setup channels and place fraudulent call with a ham radio?

Thanks for your help ..

Perry

Reply here on this newsgroup or e-mail to boottrax@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (arpanet)

ron@ron.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (01/25/89)

> Question:  Is it possible to access cellular setup channels and place
> fraudulent call with a ham radio?

Technically no, because a radio operating on the appropriate freqencies
would not be an amateur radio.  The words "ham radio" is a synonym for amateur
radio, a regulated radio service by the FCC that allows radio enthusiasts to
construct and operate their own radios.  The modes of operation and frequencies
in use are well defined by the commissions rules.  Use of the term to mean any
person building his own radios (for degenerate purposes) is like the
bastardization of the term hacker.  Please avoid doing it.

It is by far easier to defraud the phone company by modifying a legitimate
cellular telephone.  The thing already does most of the work (the radio part
and most of the dialing).  All you have to do is hack the roms a bit to make
them operate with phony ID's.

-Ron

[Moderator's Note: It is far easier to go to the penitentiary that way also.
Remind me to search my files for the newspaper story of the fellow here in
Chicago last year who was convicted of operating a 'reprogramming for profit'
cellular phone 'repair shop'. When IBT security representatives, Chicago
police and FCC personnel raided his place, they found not only cellular phones
being liberated from billing constraints. It seems the dude was also into
freeking CB radios; getting them broadbanded and oscillating in the ten meter
band. Six months in the custody of the Attorney General or his authorized
representative followed by two years federal probation is not my idea of how
to spend my summer vacation. P. Townson]

dave@rutgers.edu (Dave Levenson) (01/25/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0024m04@vector.UUCP>, boottrax@csd4.milw.wisc.edu
(Perry Victor Lea) writes:

> Question: Is it possible to access cellular setup channels and place
fraudulent call with a ham radio?

It is probably possible to place a fraudulent radio telephone call
from an amateur radio station, but it's easier (and just as illegal)
to use a cellular telephone set.  When a valid call-attempt is made,
the cellular telephone set transmits its phone number and its
serial number (an electronic PIN), as well as the number dialed by
the user. The local cellular carrier is supposed to validate the
combination.  A cellular telephone user who fiddles with the proms
or other administerable memory can probably impersonate a valid
subscriber. It may be high tech, but it's functionally equivalent to
stealing and using another telephone subscribers calling card number.

--
Dave Levenson
Westmark, Inc.		The Man in the Mooney

tim@Athena.UUCP (Tim Dawson) (01/26/89)

>Question: How is phase shifting actually involved in communications between the mobile unit and the switching office ?
>
>Question: Is it possible to access cellular setup channels and place fraudulent call with a ham radio?
>
>Thanks for your help ..
>
>Perry
>
>Reply here on this newsgroup or e-mail to boottrax@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (arpanet)

To answer your questions as best as possible:

1) The "Phase Shifting" you refer to is in all probability referring to the
   modulation of the RF going from the mobile to the cell site. (I forget the
   actual emission designators) and is similar to FM.  Typically communications
   from the cell site to the cellular switching office are via T-1 pcm carrier
   systems.

2) Extremly improbable.  For the why, first let me describe the scenario of
   a modbile to land call set up.

   a) User enters phone number and hits send.
   b) Mobile listens to data stream on signalling channel, and checks busy/idle
      bits to see if another mobile has channel in use.  If idle, mobile sends
      request containing mobile Electronic Serial Number (manufactured into the
      radio), the mobiles phone number, and the called number.
   c) System receives request and sends data burst back to mobile confirming
      that request is received, and assigning a voice channel.
   d) Mobile changes frequency to voice channel, verifies SAT (sub audible tone
      used to verify that mobile has reached correct channel) and returns same
      SAT to cell site. Mobile also verifies DCC (Digital Color Code - like SAT
      but in digital domain) to confirm channel.  Mobile unmutes audio and call
      setup proceeds through switch.  At this point, all progress tones, etc
      heard from the mobile are coming from the land office, not the mobile
      switch.
   e) Call is now in progress.  While call is up, Cell sites constantly are
      scanning mobile signal strength.  If dips below threshhold for a certain
      (variable from system to system) number of scans, a handoff request is
      made.  Adjacent cells scan the mobile, and if signal is ABOVE threshold,
      the system initiates handoff.  A request is sent digitally to the mobile
      to mute audio, and change to the new frequency (also sent).  The mobile
      mutes, changes frequency, verifies SAT and DCC on the new channel and
      unmutes (all in about 50 ms or so, typically).  This handoff is generally
      inaudible to the user, but is what makes using cellular with modems a
      pain - no audio/data can be sent during this handoff.
   f) For call termination, mobile sends disconnect request to switch, and all
      facilities are idled.

As can be seen, this is not a trivial process.   The primary problem with
trying to defraud a Mobile system is that you have to know a valid mobiles
Electronic Serial Number/Mobile Number Combination or the system will deny
service.  You also have to be ablo to transmit and receive 9600 baud FSK
(to the best of my memory - my spec isn't handy) to the system in order to
determine what voice channel assignment has been made.  And you have to do it
FAST!  Most all call setup items described above must occur within very closely
difined time windows, or the system will fail the call.  Also, as soon as the
guy who gets stuck with the bill bitches, they will most likely change his
mobile number, or start tracing the calls and can determine who is the
fraudulent user based on who is being called quite easily.  This is one of the
big plusses of cellular telephony - if somebody steals a phone, their ESN
can be denied nationally, and they can't use it. It is not impossible to change
ESN in a phone, but is extremely difficult since it is manufactured physically
into the unit, and is not generally documented by the manufacturer is public
domain documnets for security reasons.

So what you would end up doing is basically redesigning a cellular mobile,
and  seriously doubt whether many people have the skill and knowledge to
even come close to being able to do so. Also, with the security provisions in
cellular systems, even if you could manage the hardware, the system software
would still make it highly unlikely that you could use it.
Tim Dawson (...!killer!mcsd!Athena!tim)  Motorola Computer Systems, Dallas, TX.
"The opinions expressed above do not relect those of my employer - often even I
cannot figure out what I am talking about."

boottrax@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Perry Victor Lea) (01/27/89)

   You mentioned that there are set guidlines to the frequenciest that
cellular phone services are allowed to use, however; when I had been
futzing with my police scanner I had been able to hear cellular phone
conversations. I am familiar with the laws that allow anyone to be able
to listen to radio waves via radio sets. But why would they allow
phone conversations to be set in these bands where anyone with a police
scanner can eavesdrop?

	boottrax@csd4.milw.wisc.edu

dave@uunet.UU.NET (Dave Horsfall) (01/27/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0024m04@vector.UUCP>,
    boottrax@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Perry Victor Lea) writes:

| Question: Is it possible to access cellular setup channels and place fraudulent call with a ham radio?

Unlikely - amateur radio equipment doesn't cover the 800MHz cellular band
without heavy modification.  Then you'd have to spoof the ESN's etc.

--
Dave Horsfall (VK2KFU),  Alcatel-STC Australia,  dave@stcns3.stc.oz
dave%stcns3.stc.oz.AU@uunet.UU.NET,  ...munnari!stcns3.stc.oz.AU!dave

rsj@gatech.edu (Randy Jarrett WA4MEI) (01/28/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0024m04@vector.UUCP> boottrax@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Perry Victor Lea) writes:

>Question: How is phase shifting actually involved in communications between
>the mobile unit and the switching office ?
>
>Question: Is it possible to access cellular setup channels and place a
>fraudulent call with a ham radio?
>
>Thanks for your help ..
>
>Perry

I can't be much help in answering your first question but I would like to
say something about your second question.

There are authorized Amateur Radio (ham) frequencies that are near to
the cellular phone channels but the equipment required to access cellular
telephone services are very specialized and very different from ham radio
equipment.  It is probably not possible for a ham to use his equipment
to access the cellular services but it would be possible for anyone with
the proper knowledge to make changes to cellular phone equipment and make
it look (respond with the proper digital codes) like someone elses.

So I guess that the bottom line is that no, it is not possible to access
cellular channels and place fraudulent calls with ham radio.

--
Randy Jarrett  WA4MEI
UUCP  ...!gatech!wa4mei!rsj        | US SNAIL: P.O. Box 941217

ron@ron.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (02/01/89)

Because the EPCA is a crock, that's why.  Just because they pass a law
doesn't mean people will stop doing it.  Actually, in all likely hood
if you are probing the police bands what you probably detected is the
cheapo cordless phone frequencies in the 46 and 49 MHz range.  Real
Cellular calls are in the 800 MHz range.  Very few scanners actually
cover this.  A few have had this range specifically blanked out (like
the Radio Shack, but it's just a matter of pulling a diode out to
get them back).

You don't even need a scanner, just tune an old UHF TV set up to
Channel 81-83.

-Ron

[Moderator's Note: An old UHF TV with those channels won't work as well as
one of the radios which play television audio only. In this country you
can buy them for the VHF channels, but I beleive they are illegal per FCC
rules where UHF is concerned. A company in Toronto makes the kind which
cover the UHF band, and specifically covering channels 80-83 or thereabouts.
But their mail order advertising clearly states 'not for sale in the United
States. We cannot fill orders to the USA'. They were selling them here like
hotcakes for awhile, until Uncle Sugar put the heat on the Canadian govern-
ment to help enforce FCC rules down here. PT]

boottrax@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Perry Victor Lea) (02/02/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0040m04@vector.UUCP> ron@ron.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) writes:

>Because the EPCA is a crock, that's why.  Just because they pass a law
>doesn't mean people will stop doing it.  Actually, in all likely hood
>if you are probing the police bands what you probably detected is the
>cheapo cordless phone frequencies in the 46 and 49 MHz range.  Real
>Cellular calls are in the 800 MHz range.  Very few scanners actually
>cover this.  A few have had this range specifically blanked out (like
>the Radio Shack, but it's just a matter of pulling a diode out to
>get them back).

    Actually, when I picked up phone conversations over the police scanner
before the call was initiated I heard a series of tones, beeps, and rings.

The call was made and I heard the conversations. I know it was from mobile
phones, nothing can convince me other wise. I know all this since particular
conversations said theat they were in their car, or wherever.

  if this is all true? then there is a possible dangers that these tones
could be recorded and broadcasted over the same band width with a little
electronic experience and high quality recording equipment.

  That can't be right that would be too simple.

ron@ron.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (02/02/89)

> [Moderator's Note: An old UHF TV with those channels won't work as well as
> one of the radios which play television audio only. In this country you
> can buy them for the VHF channels, but I beleive they are illegal per FCC
> rules where UHF is concerned.

This comment tacked on to my posting is wrong.  Those radios usually have
the same piece of crap receiver for the audio that most TV's have.  Receivers
covering that band are not illegal.  The main reason is that it is expensive
to add the expanded UHF feature to these cheap radios.  However, many
manufacturers shy away from putting the cellular bands in their radios now
either fearing law suits or that they are manufacturers of cellular equipment.

Calling the EPCA an FCC rule is a bit inaccurate.  It's congressional
tomfoolery.

POSTERS NOTE:  It would be much nicer if Pat had something that it would
be enclosed as a seperate "message" in the digest rather than tacking on
comments to other people's messages.

[Moderator's Note: Your suggestion is well taken. It is not the 'piece of
crap audio' that mattes so much as it is that the circuitry in televisions
is different that the circuitry in radios. Yes, EPCA is one thing, and
FCC rules are another. The telcos have repeatedly complained to the FCC
about people listening to cellular phone calls. PT]

davef@brspyr1.brs.com (Dave Fiske) (02/02/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0034m01@vector.UUCP>, boottrax@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Perry Victor Lea) writes:

>    You mentioned that there are set guidlines to the frequenciest that
> cellular phone services are allowed to use, however; when I had been
> futzing with my police scanner I had been able to hear cellular phone

Chances are you were hearing conversations being made with a CORDLESS
phone, as opposed to cellular.  The cordless phones use frequencies in
the 40-50 MHz range, which most scanners cover.

> conversations. I am familiar with the laws that allow anyone to be able
> to listen to radio waves via radio sets. But why would they allow
> phone conversations to be set in these bands where anyone with a police
> scanner can eavesdrop?

There was a court case which decided the issue of privacy of cordless
phone conversations.  These guys were arrested, having been overheard
by police arranging a drug deal using a cordless phone.  Their attorney
argued that this constituted eavesdropping by the police, but the judge
ruled that they should have known they could be overheard.  Cordless
phone conversations are not considered confidential.  Since this case,
there has been a bit more publicity and manufacturers' warnings about
the lack of privacy when using cordless phones.

When I lived in an apartment complex, I was setting up the frequencies
for my scanner, and found someone talking on the phone once.  (I don't
recall the precise frequencies right now, but all you have to do is
look in the descriptions of the cordless phones in the Radio Shack
catalog.)  Once in a while I would check to see if anybody was talking
on the phone, but most of the time it was just teenagers chatting,
until, inevitably one of them would say they were coming right over to
the other's apartment.  If they had done that first, they could have
saved a phone call!

In reality, most people's phone calls are pretty boring, so the novelty
of listening in wears off quickly, and this is probably as effective as
any regulation would be in keeping eavesdropping to a minimum.  :^)

Also, keep in mind that it hasn't been all that long since people had
party lines, where eavesdropping is as simple as lifting the receiver.
--
"FLYING ELEPHANTS DROP COW           Dave Fiske  (davef@brspyr1.BRS.COM)
 PIES ON HORRIFIED CROWD!"

woolsey@nsc.NSC.COM (Jeff Woolsey) (02/02/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0040m04@vector.UUCP> ron@ron.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) writes:
>You don't even need a scanner, just tune an old UHF TV set up to
>Channel 81-83.

>[Moderator's Note: An old UHF TV with those channels won't work as
>well as one of the radios which play television audio only. In this
>country you can buy them for the VHF channels, but I believe they are
>illegal per FCC rules where UHF is concerned. A company in Toronto
>makes the kind which cover the UHF band, and specifically covering
>channels 80-83 or thereabouts.

I have an old Pioneer TVX-9500 TV Sound Tuner that gets those
channels.  At first I didn't know what I was listening to up there, but
it was interesting.  This same tuner also gets NOAA weather stations
when channels 7, 8, 9, and 10 are all selected at the same time.
When it comes to humility, I'm the greatest.  -- Bullwinkle J. Moose

Jeff Woolsey  woolsey@nsc.NSC.COM  -or-  woolsey@umn-cs.cs.umn.EDU

judice%kyoa.DEC@decwrl.dec.com (L Judice / 201-562-4103 / DTN 323-4103) (02/02/89)

In regards to the write who found mobile telephone calls in the VHF-HI
band, these are probably IMTS calls (Improved Mobile Telephone Service,
the pre-cursor to cellular).

IMTS operates in the 152 Mhz band, and I believe in one or two UHF
and VHF-LO bands.

/ljj

tim@Athena.UUCP (Tim Dawson) (02/08/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0041m02@vector.UUCP> boottrax@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Perry Victor Lea) writes:
>    Actually, when I picked up phone conversations over the police scanner
>before the call was initiated I heard a series of tones, beeps, and rings.
>The call was made and I heard the conversations. I know it was from mobile
>phones, nothing can convince me other wise. I know all this since particular
>conversations said theat they were in their car, or wherever.

What you undoubtably heard was a call placed on an IMTS mobile phone system
(the predecessor to cellular) which used a log of in-band tones for signalling
and runs typically in the 150 MHz or 400 MHz bands along with the police.
IMTS call set up in no resembles cellular call set up, and probably would be
easier to defraud, but I cannot say specifically since the details of IMTS
setup are not something that I am intimately familiar with.