[comp.dcom.telecom] Ripped off by the long distance carrier

finn@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU (Andy Behrens) (02/02/89)

On a recent trip to Connecticut, I made several phone calls from my
hotel, charging them to a calling card.  I didn't think to ask which
long distance carrier would be used.  (Yes, I should have known better).

I got my phone bill today.  One of the calls would have cost about $6
if I had placed it through an AT&T or Sprint operator -- and even less
if I had dialed it directly.  Telesphere/T.E.N. charged me $18.45.

Do I have any recourse?

What happens if I tell my local telephone company that I won't pay
that portion of the bill?  (They are billing me "as a service to
Telesphere").  For that matter, does anyone know the address of the
Connecticut Public Utilities Commission?

--
Live justly, love gently, walk humbly.
					Andy Behrens

internet: andyb%coat@dartmouth.edu
uucp:     {harvard,decvax}!dartvax!coat!andyb

neves@ai.cs.wisc.edu (David M. Neves) (02/09/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0042m01@vector.UUCP> finn@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU (Andy Behrens) writes:

>On a recent trip to Connecticut, I made several phone calls from my
>hotel, charging them to a calling card.  I didn't think to ask which
>long distance carrier would be used.  (Yes, I should have known better).
>Do I have any recourse?
Last month a customer of a motel took the motel to small claims court
because the phone part of her bill was 5 times the AT&T rates.  She
was not told that there would be an outrageous surcharge and the
Judge, who was outraged at the ripoff, ruled in her favor.  By the
way, it was Judge Wapner of the People's Court.

;David Neves, Computer Sciences Department, University of Wisconsin-Madison
;Usenet:  {rutgers,ucbvax}!uwvax!neves
;Arpanet: neves@cs.wisc.edu