[comp.dcom.telecom] {{{ administrative information }}}

chip@vector.UUCP (Chip Rosenthal) (02/12/89)

Just some administrative notes on the status of comp.dcom.telecom...

- First and foremost, the USENET gateway is now totally automated.  The
  TELECOM digest is now processed as soon as it is received.  Hopefully,
  this will further reduce the time it takes from submission to posting.

- I wanted to point out what many of you have discovered:  the "Path" on
  comp.dcom.telecom postings leads to a bogus address.  If you try to
  mail a reply to this address, you will get an automated message back
  explaining that you need to reply to the address in the "From" field.

- If anybody out there is interested in getting comp.dcom.telecom faster
  or improving propogation, I am willing to setup uucp connections.

- I continue to receive a few submissions at "telecom@vector.uucp".  The
  proper address is "telecom@bu-cs.bu.edu".  In the past, I have been
  manually forwarding these messages to Patrick Townson.  Last week, I
  set up a local alias to do this forwarding automatically.  However,
  your submissions will appear quicker if you use the proper address.
  (The monthly "mailpaths" moderator listing contains the correct address.)

- You might note that some comp.dcom.telecom messages have an
  "X-Originally-From" field.  This occurs when the address in a received
  message is not a legal USENET value, for example a pure bang path.  The
  gateway software attempts to generate an acceptable address from the
  original address, and verifies that it is routable by my local smail
  and paths database.

- Due to popular request, the "X-TELECOM-Digest" field now says "message
  2 of 8" rather than just "message 2".

As always...comments and suggestions are welcome.  You can reach me at
"telecom-request@vector.uucp".  As an aside, it is very gratifying to see
the level (and quality) of activity in TELECOM as of late.
--
Chip Rosenthal     chip@vector.UUCP    |      Choke me in the shallow water
Dallas Semiconductor   214-450-5337    |         before I get too deep.

chip@vector.UUCP (Chip Rosenthal) (02/13/89)

In article <703@vector.UUCP> I wrote:
>  I continue to receive a few submissions at "telecom@vector.uucp".  The
>  proper address is "telecom@bu-cs.bu.edu".

Boy...the info in that posting had a lifetime of less than 24 hours.  There
is a new address for TELECOM messages.  In case you n'ed right by it:

> From: telecom@eecs.nwu.edu (Patrick Townson)
> Subject: We Relocate to Evanston, Illinois
>
> [TELECOM Digest] has relocated its base of operations [...]
>                  telecom@eecs.nwu.edu  (for submissions to Digest)

I talked to Patrick yesterday.  He will be requesting that Spaf update
the next moderators list as appropriate.  Also, he mentioned that
"telecom@bu-cs.bu.edu" will be aliased to forward mail to the proper
destination.

For fastest service, please send your "comp.dcom.telecom" submissions to
the "eecs.nwu.edu" address.  If you send them to either "bu-cs.bu.edu"
or "vector.uucp", they should be forwarded to the right place.