[comp.dcom.telecom] North West Territories

CABELL.ANDREWS@BIONET-20.BIO.NET (Paul Andrews) (02/10/89)

Service in the Nortwest Territories, Canada:
     I was going through the phone books looking for the Ottawa/Hull listings
when I came across the listing for the western North West Territories
(Canada).  Interesting...NorthwesTel Inc. claims to service 65,000 customers
in an area of 2.35 million sq Km..including such fun places as Snowdrift,
 Tungsten and Tuktoyaktuk. The 403  code area is _BIG_. From Beaver Creek in
 the SW corner of the Yukon to Cambdrige Bay on Victoria Island is about 1200
 miles (720 km).
Just curious, what is the largest area code area (at least on land)?..Just an
aside, the book also appears to have dialing instructions..except I don't read
Innuit chracters so I don't really know what it says. I wonder what the book
for Eastern NWT looks like?

                Just another stranded Canadian..

                Paul Andrews

Paul Andrews                         #  EMAIL:CABELL.ANDREWS@BIONET-20.BIO.NET
                                     #       :CABELL.ANDREWS@[128.92.192.5]
University of Texas at Austin        #  Phone: (512) 471-4551
College of Pharmacy                  #
Division of Medicinal Chemistry      #
Austin, Texas, USA
78712

-------

rwa@uunet.uu.net (Ross Alexander) (02/14/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0054m02@vector.UUCP>, CABELL.ANDREWS@BIONET-20.BIO.NET (Paul Andrews) writes:
> Service in the Nortwest Territories, Canada:
>  The 403  code area is _BIG_. From Beaver Creek in the SW corner of the
>  Yukon to Cambridge Bay on Victoria Island is about 1200 miles (720 km).

403 is Alberta, too (the whole province).  This adds about 1500 km
north-to-south.  Also, 1200 statute miles = 1900 km (very roughly).

	Ross