[comp.dcom.telecom] Ringback as intercom

cantor%evetpu.DEC@decwrl.dec.com (David A. Cantor) (02/04/89)

In Vol 9 Iss 38, James Harvey (jbh@mibte.uucp), referring to ringback
codes, writes:

>...More frequently, people use the ringback numbers as an intercom, (call
>ringback, wait till somebody upstairs picks up extension, talk).

In the bad old days (mid-50s, Everett, Mass.), I recall the phone book
had a paragraph which said to call the business office for
instructions for calling another party sharing your party line.   I
had a friend who had a party line, and did just that.  Guess what code
they gave him.  Ringback (911-wait for tone-6-hang up).   (That's how I
learned about the ringback code and how I got interested in this sort
of thing.)

Years later, when moving from one part of Arlington to another, I had
"duplicate service" (same phone number at two addresses
simultaneously) for a few days.  I talked the phone company
representative into giving me the code I could dial so that I could
speak to a roommate at the other residence.  They gave me the ringback
code and asked me not to use it except for the purpose of calling
someone at the other residence.

Dave C.

prh@uunet.uu.net (Paul R. Haas) (02/14/89)

Why not provide Ringback as a "550" service.  You could charge
something for the initial call plus a per minute charge.  The local phone
company could bill itself for the service at a reduced rate.  This
way capacity can easily be matched to demand.

If the price of the service covers its cost to the provider, then there
is no longer a need to keep the numbers secret.

It might be possible to provide other test equipment in the same way
ie., calibration tones.

The equipment required is rather simple in exchanges that provide
"Caller*ID".
----
Paul Haas, InterACT Corp., 136 Madison Ave. New York, NY 10016
(212) 696-3653
uunet!actnyc!prh