[comp.dcom.telecom] Questions About Fax Machines/Numbers

samw@dasys1.UUCP (Sam Weissman) (02/07/89)

I just acquired a fax machine.  C an anyone tell me how I give out
my fax number?  I am in the N.Y. 212 area code, but when we dial long
distance, we must put a "1" in front of any number we are calling.
Since most of my calls will originate from out of state, should I
put my letterhead fax number as: 1-212-xxx-xxxx?  Another question:
I have a "fine" mode on my machine.  When preparing to receive a
transmission with tiny print, should I set my machine to fine, or
does the sender have to do that?  Thanks for any help.

--
Sam Weissman
Big Electric Cat Public UNIX

ron@ron.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (02/10/89)

The leading digit 1 is NOT part of your phone number.  You should
just list the 10 digits starting with the area code.  The 1 is a
dialing code that tells your phone switch that the number to follow
has an area code.  It's use is not universal and will probably even
eventually go away when things get smart enough to realize how many
numbers you dial.

As for the letter head, I prefer the traditional form with the area
code in parenthesis: "(201) 932-3433" but the punctuation and spacing
is fluff, it doesn't ever actually get dialed.

-Ron

goldstein%delni.DEC@decwrl.dec.com (Fred R. Goldstein dtn226-7388) (02/10/89)

Ron Natilie of Rutgers (NJ) writes,
>The leading digit 1 is NOT part of your phone number.  You should
>just list the 10 digits starting with the area code.  The 1 is a
>dialing code that tells your phone switch that the number to follow
>has an area code.  It's (sic) use is not universal and will probably even
> eventually go away when things get smart enough to realize how many
>numbers you dial.

I used to think that way when I lived in "what's a 1 for?" New Jersey.
Subsequent to my emigration, New Jersey joined the 1+ world, with
interchangeable codes even in my old hometown.

Doing a way with 1+ would be a Bad Thing as it would require critical
timing in its stead (when users don't use an "end of dial" signal such
as the octothorpe).  It is not Part of the Plan.  Instead, the North
American Numbering Plan calls for the 1+ to be universal before Time T
(1996), when interchangeable area codes go into effect.  The NANP is
administered by Bellcore and ANSI T1S1.4 with FCC approval.

While in the olden days it looked silly to see "1-800..." in listings
when I didn't have to dial it (those folks across the river in NY did,
of course), I later realized how beneficial it really is.  Y'see,
"1" is not only the LD access code, it's our country code.  So
internationally, our numbers really do begin with the "1"!

By convention, international telephone numbers are written with a
plus sign (+) in front of the country code, then a space, then the
national number (bereft of access codes such as '0' which is more common
than '1' for long distance, worldwide).  Thus I give my number as
+1 508 486 7388 while folks in the UK might give out something like
+44 734 868 711.
THe + translates to 011 in the USA and different things elsewhere.

In most other countries, the access code is not the country code, so
for instance English STD codes like 0734 are really 734 with the
access code; the 0 must be dropped for international calls.  But
we dumb Yanks can leave the 1 on the front of the area code and even
foreigners will be able to reach us.
      fred

morris@jade.jpl.nasa.gov (Mike Morris) (02/14/89)

samw@dasys1.UUCP (Sam Weissman) writes:
>I just acquired a fax machine.  C an anyone tell me how I give out
>my fax number?  I am in the N.Y. 212 area code, but when we dial long
>distance, we must put a "1" in front of any number we are calling.
>Since most of my calls will originate from out of state, should I
>put my letterhead fax number as: 1-212-xxx-xxxx?

My opinion is xxx-xxx-xxxx.  Most people know if they are in a 1+ area.

US Snail:  Mike Morris                    UUCP: Morris@Jade.JPL.NASA.gov
           P.O. Box 1130                  Also: WA6ILQ
           Arcadia, Ca. 91006-1130
#Include disclaimer.standard     | The opinions above probably do not even