[comp.dcom.telecom] Phones in noisy areas

morris@jade.jpl.nasa.gov (Mike Morris) (02/14/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0056m01@vector.UUCP> roy@phri (Roy Smith) writes:
.....     Irrelevant stuff deleted .....

>	On a totally different topic, I'm looking for a phone which will work
>well in a noisy environment (i.e. my computer room).  It's almost impossible
>to hear the other party on the line, even if they shout, with a normal phone.
>Possibly all that has to be done is to attenuate the sidetone; if I put my
>hand over the mouthpiece when the other party is talking, I can hear them
>pretty well, but it's a pain, especially when you need one hand to hold the
>phone, one to cover the mike, and one to type.  Adjustable volume would
>probably help too; even with the sidetone gone, it's still a little hard to
>hear, but simply cranking up the volume alone won't change the S/N unless you
>do something about picking up ambient noise.

What you need is something that I use - a hard-of-hearing amplified handset
(with volume control) with a noise-canceling microphone called a "Confidencer".
They are avialble from any major telephone supply house - the most common
one is Greybar, who has warehouses/sales offices all over the country.
With the wide range of options, best get a catalog, then order.  Most Greybar
offices have a cash-and-carry counter. The handsets are available with
wire-in or modular connections, and in most colors.
I spent 5 years doing interconnect phone work, but bailed out a few years
ago - and all my catalogs/reference manuals are out in the garage.
BTW, the equipment is made by Walker (Industries, Corp, Inc,? I'm not sure).

US Snail:  Mike Morris                    UUCP: Morris@Jade.JPL.NASA.gov
           P.O. Box 1130                  Also: WA6ILQ
           Arcadia, Ca. 91006-1130
#Include disclaimer.standard     | The opinions above probably do not even