[comp.dcom.telecom] Billing From COCOT Firms

jimmy@ucbvax.berkeley.edu (Jim Gottlieb) (03/10/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0082m04@vector.UUCP>, hobbit@pyrite.rutgers.edu
(*Hobbit*) writes:
> The COCOT outfits delay *18* months?  yow.
>
> .... in the
> case of 10xxx from home and the associated billing snarl, you could have
> *moved* before some of the less-efficient Mom-n-Pop carriers finally bill
> you.

Here in Los Angeles, we had a carrier a few years back named "American
PTT", supposedly owned by one of the European PTTs.  They were the most
hokey LD carrier I have ever heard.  Many of their trunks howled, and
many of us were convinced that it was run out of someone's living room.

The good part though, was that in their one year of existence, they
never billed for any casually dialed (10APT) calls.  They said they
were working on getting a billing agreement with the local telco, but I
guess they never did because we all got about a year of free long
distance calling from them.  Now _that_'s the kind of carrier I would
like to see more of.
--
                              Jim Gottlieb
  E-Mail: <jimmy@denwa.uucp> or <jimmy@pic.ucla.edu> or <attmail!denwa!jimmy>