[comp.dcom.telecom] Pay phones that disable the keypad

hamilton@aztec.osbusouth.xerox.com (Bruce Hamilton) (03/14/89)

I was recently at the Louisville (KY) Convention Center.
I tried to call an 800 number to use the audiotex service
that tells me where the nearest ATM is.  First I tried
two coin phones.  Both connected me to the 800 number,
but then disabled the keypad!  If I pressed a key, the
earspeaker would go dead, as if I had gone off-hook.
Finally I tried the adjoining non-coin, credit-card phone.
It worked fine!

Is this some sort of conspiracy by AT&T & South Central
Bell to prevent me from calling, say, US Sprint's 800
number and then dialing out?  A guy at the convention
thought it might have been related to the recent enabling
of 800 numbers on the pay phones in question.

This definitely seems like a bug, given the WIDE presence
of 800 audiotex systems.  I'm curious as to whether this
problem is widespread.

[Please reply by e-mail since I only scan comp.dcom.telecom occasionally.]

--Bruce
CSNet: Hamilton.osbuSouth@Xerox.COM
UUCP: xerox.com!hamilton.osbuSouth

[Moderator's Note: But readers who answer, please carbon replies here also.]

prindle@NADC.ARPA (Frank Prindle) (03/16/89)

I recently got very annoyed while trying to use a COCOT in a public place
for an emergency call (not 911, but a call to notify someone's relative of
an emergency).  Not having any coins handy, I proceeded to use my (non-Bell)
calling card which requires I dial a toll-free 800 number, then key in my
PIN and the number I was calling.  Naturally, you-guessed-it, the 800 call
went through, then the keypad went dead.  The call could not be placed.

Fortunately, the management was handy and found me another (private) phone to
use for the emergency situation.

Upon complaining to Bell of PA, I was informed that the BPA tarrifs do not
require that a COCOT be able to complete calling-card calls!  (the phone was
in violation on three other counts however: 1) no service number posted on
phone; 2) no phone number posted on phone; 3) charged $.85 to call 1-800-555-
1212.)

My point is that there are even more important reasons (than calling a tone
activated service such as a locator or a bank) that the tone-pad should
continue to work - namely any calling card except AT&T/Baby-Bell is likely
*not* to have an operator intercept to manually handle situations where no
tones can be generated.  I feel that the consumer should be able to rely on
any public phone (with a tone pad) to provide all the capabilities he normally
uses on a public phone.  Disabling the tone-pad at any time during a call
substantially reduces these capabilities.  I guess they expect everyone to
carry around a pocket tone generator in case a phone doesn't work right.

Sincerely,
Frank Prindle
Prindle@NADC.arpa

e118-ak@euler.berkeley.edu (e118 student) (03/18/89)

I've run into the same problem with pay phones operated by AT&T
(their blue phones that don't take coins or cards).  It infuriates
me.  I can see no legitimate purpose in disabling the keypad.
One "800" number I frequently use is to my bank's computer, to
see if a check or deposit has cleared.

The experience with the AT&T phones has been mostly in Calif.,
but they seem to have changed their mind, at least in some areas.
Personally, if I can possibly help it, I use no pay phone other
than a genuine Pacific Bell.

--Linc Madison = e118-ak@euler.berkeley.edu
I have no connection to any company, except for the little
brown phone rumored to be hiding under the pile of stuff on
my floor.

jimmy@seas.ucla.edu (Jim Gottlieb) (03/22/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0094m06@vector.UUCP>, prindle@NADC.ARPA (Frank
Prindle) writes:
> Naturally, you-guessed-it, the 800 call
> went through, then the keypad went dead.  The call could not be placed.

My business partner has just reported that this behavior is standard
practice on AT&T-operated COCOTS.  When he called to complain, they
explained that this was to prevent him from using other carriers.

Well, isn't that nice.  And so thanks to AT&T, he was unable to check
his voice mail or make any other calls that require the caller to enter
tones.
--
                              Jim Gottlieb
  E-Mail: <jimmy@denwa.uucp> or <jimmy@pic.ucla.edu> or <attmail!denwa!jimmy>

[Moderator's Note: AT&T's voice-mail version of AT&T Mail has noted this
problem in the instruction manual, and advises placing calls through the
operator -- even though its an 800 number -- when calling their service. PT]