[comp.dcom.telecom] International Calling party ID

johnm@uts.amdahl.com (John Murray) (03/21/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0095m05@vector.UUCP>, jbn@glacier.stanford.edu (John
B. Nagle) writes:

> ...   What about international calls?

At last, someone introduces some reason into this dispute! It's too bad
that we Americans are so arrogant as to assume that the rest of the
world has to conform to our need to know the calling party's ID before
we'll answer, or even let our phones ring!

Too many of us already assume that everyone who calls us is using a
tone phone (and speaks English), so we make them use voicemail systems
for our convenience. We screen callers with machines which pretend
we're not at home, and talk about extra super-secret codes which our
friends have to enter to get through to us. An answering machine can
cause a foreign caller to be automatically charged for a 3-minute call
(perhaps $10 or more) from some locations.

Much of this is because of the super-abundance of tele-marketers and
auto-diallers from which we suffer. Isn't it about time we tackled
this problem, rather than devising even more devious ways of hiding from
the outside world (both domestic and foreign)?

- John Murray (My own opinions, etc.)

desnoyer@apple.com (Peter Desnoyers) (03/22/89)

>In article <telecom-v09i0095m05@vector.UUCP>, jbn@glacier.stanford.edu (John
>B. Nagle) writes:
>>
>> ...   What about international calls?

Well, you can assume that no matter what happens, you're not going to
get calling party id from a German phone unless both the calling party
and the Bundepost agree that they don't mind telling you. They take
their privacy quite seriously.

				Peter Desnoyers