[comp.dcom.telecom] VoiceMail Liberation

MYERSTON@kl.sri.com (HECTOR MYERSTON) (03/22/89)

John Murray <johnm@uts.amdahl.com> writes:

>Too many of us already assume that everyone who calls us is using a
>tone phone (and speaks English), so we make them use voicemail systems
>for our convenience. We screen callers with machines which pretend
>we're not at home, and talk about extra super-secret codes which our
>friends have to enter to get through to us. An answering machine can
>cause a foreign caller to be automatically charged for a 3-minute call
>(perhaps $10 or more) from some locations.

Gee John, thanks for raising my consciousness!!.  Here I had foolishly
and selfishly programmed my voicemail "for my own convenience".
I have taken immediate action to reprogram my greeting in Urdu, Persian
and Lithuanian.  Since I am unable to handle all the world's languages,
I will choose three "politically correct" languages every week from
now on.
-------