[comp.dcom.telecom] Cellular service

john@ucbvax.berkeley.edu (John Higdon) (03/10/89)

With all of the hoopla that PacTel Cellular is generating over its
installation of its "new digital equipment", some questions must be
raised. Having recently visited the LA area as a roamer from GTE
Mobilnet, San Francisco, it seems that the good people of southern
California are being taken for a ride.

PacTel Cellular may be the only cellular operator in the country that
charges the moment you hit the s(p)end button, whether the call is
answered or not. This means you are charged for busys, no answers,
reorders, etc. It also means that you are timed from the button push,
not from the point that the call is answered.

While I was there, about 90% of my calls failed to complete, ending in
nonsense nonsequiter recordings or reorders. When calls did actually go
through it took 20-25 seconds for ringing to *begin*, as compared to my
home system where it takes 4-5 seconds. (This extra time had nothing to
do with my roaming; subscribers to PacTel informed me that it always
takes a long time for calls to go through.)

This all appears to be the biggest legal scam I have ever seen. First,
charge for *everything*, then make sure most calls simply bomb (while
charging for the attempt), and after that take a long time to complete
calls thereby ensuring that each and every call is at least two minutes
long.

Are there any other systems in the country that are this slimy?
--
John Higdon
john@zygot   ..sun!{apple|cohesive|pacbell}!zygot!john

dave@rutgers.edu (Dave Levenson) (03/15/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0085m03@vector.UUCP>, decvax!decwrl!apple!zygot!john
@ucbvax.berkeley.edu (John Higdon) writes:
> With all of the hoopla that PacTel Cellular is generating over its
> installation of its "new digital equipment", some questions must be
> raised. Having recently visited the LA area as a roamer from GTE
> Mobilnet, San Francisco, it seems that the good people of southern
> California are being taken for a ride.
>
> PacTel Cellular may be the only cellular operator in the country that
> charges the moment you hit the s(p)end button, whether the call is
> answered or not....

Nynex mobile service, the wireline carrier here in the New York City
CGSA, also charges air time for incomplete calls.  But the local
non-wireline carrier (MetroOne) only charges for completed calls,
and only charges from when the called party answers.

Ironically, the major shareholder in MetroOne appears to be
Pacific Telesys!  Does that mean that we really have two "wireline"
cellular carriers here?

--
Dave Levenson
Westmark, Inc.		The Man in the Mooney

donn@entropy.ms.washington.edu (Donn F Pedro) (03/17/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0085m03@vector.UUCP>, decvax!decwrl!apple!zygot!john@ucbvax.berkeley.edu (John Higdon) writes:
> With all of the hoopla that PacTel Cellular is generating over its
> installation of its "new digital equipment", some questions must be
> raised. Having recently visited the LA area as a roamer from GTE
> Mobilnet, San Francisco, it seems that the good people of southern
> California are being taken for a ride.

Not by Cellular One......
> PacTel Cellular may be the only cellular operator in the country that
> charges the moment you hit the s(p)end button, whether the call is
> answered or not.

Cellular One in LA does not do this.

> This all appears to be the biggest legal scam I have ever seen. First,
> charge for *everything*, then make sure most calls simply bomb (while
> charging for the attempt), and after that take a long time to complete
> calls thereby ensuring that each and every call is at least two minutes
> long.
>
> Are there any other systems in the country that are this slimy?

Dont like it. Vote with your wallet!!!!  When you get in the LA
area contace Cellular One and setup roaming with them.  Their
system is reliable and their billing is fair.  You do not get
charged for calls not completed.
> John Higdon
> john@zygot   ..sun!{apple|cohesive|pacbell}!zygot!john

What can I say... I work for them.

	Donn F Pedro ................................ a.k.a. donn@mcgp1
        else: {the known world}!uw-beaver!uw-enthropy!thebes!mcgp1!donn
                 "You talk the talk. Do you walk the walk?"

geoff@fernwood.mpk.ca.us (the terminal of Geoff Goodfellow) (03/21/89)

Pac*Tel Cellular's charging for non-completed calls finds its way directly
to the bottem line.  Pac*Tel's cellular operation made $16 million in
profit in 1988.  Count your blessings they do not sick you with a
multi-dollar a day roaming fee, yet.  The vast majority of cellular
carriers today are really gouging roamers with multi-dollar-a-day roaming
fee's.  Both Cellular One (majority owned by Pac*Tel) and GTE Mobilnet here
in the Bay area do.  Perhaps the Cellular Industry is trying to position
for a lead spot the Telecom Popularity contest, currently held by the AOS
industry.

I can't believe that Pac*Tel makes sure most calls bomb as you have claimed,
but rather they are suffering from acute success disaster symptoms.  Even
at the high rates they charge, they cannot expand the system fast enough.
Pac*Tel is currently in the process of ripping out all the original AT&T
AutoPlex gear (ESS 1A based -- nice klunks on hand-off) and replacing it
with Motorola RF and a Digital Switch based MTSO.

Cellular is just to popular in spread-out Southern California.  While I
owned a cellular phone, i made it a practice not to patronize systems that
charged for non-completed calls or gouged with daily romaing fee's.  The
best way to vote is with your wallet.  In fact, several colleagues i know
leave their portable phones at home when traveling/romaing these days.

When you look at a multi-dollar a day roaming fee + 50c-85c per minute
air-time + long distance (sometimes 0+ or 950-xxxx, both with their own
roaming stipends tacked on), a two or three minute call home becomes a
$6-$7 affair.  No thanks, think i'll find a pay phone.  If you're still
using you cellular phone at these prices, clearly they aren't charging
enough, yet.  I have watched various markets gradually increase their
roaming rates over the years, while not touching local rates.
Philladelphia A-Carrier (non-wireline) for example, used to be $.45/peak,
$.27/non-peak in the early days with no daily gratuity.  Now they are
$3/day and $.85/min peak-AND-non-peak.  You pay the $3 daily fee whether
your call completed or not.  If you are driving up to NY from Washington DC
and place a call on each system you pass through that'll be a $6-$7 charge
per system for that one call.  Some systems, like Cellular One here in the
Bay Area, won't let you recieve calls as a roamer unless you place one each
day, therefore incuring their $2/day roaming fee (so thought you would
bring your portable along and just use it to recieve important calls).

Be very careful before you press the s(p)end button and where you use your
cellular phone.

Geoff Goodfellow
IMTS Mobile Telephone User

anon@nowhere.NADA (03/22/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0085m03@vector.UUCP> decvax!decwrl!apple!zygot!john
@ucbvax.berkeley.edu (John Higdon) writes:

>PacTel Cellular may be the only cellular operator in the country that
>charges the moment you hit the s(p)end button, whether the call is
>answered or not. This means you are charged for busys, no answers,

>Are there any other systems in the country that are this slimy?
>John Higdon

Actually, I was pretty sure that the Cellular One Service in the
Baltimore/Washington are (my home area) was the only system that *did not*
charge from the second you pressed the send key.  Since the system here was
the Motorola test and development system (and the first non-wireline system
ever) I was sure they were the only ones lucky enough to get answer
supervision.

As it is, the BAMS (Bell Atlantic Mobil Systems) service is just as you
described in this area.  That is, you get charged for everytime you hit
send.

One interesting note, Cell One charges $0.10 per call as a "Land line access
charge" whereas BAMS does not.  Cell One claims thay are only passing this
charge along from the phone company (Bell Atlantic).  BAMS says they just
don't charge it because they *are* the phone company.  Sounds a little
fishy to me...

-brian

--
Brian D. Cuthie                                 uunet!umbc3!cbw1!brian
Columbia, MD                                    brian@umbc3.umbc.edu