[comp.dcom.telecom] Calling Party ID of dubious value?

bernhold@qtp.ufl.edu (David E. Bernholdt) (03/23/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0099m03@vector.UUCP> Erik@cup.portal.com writes:

>If you call me and your number is not displayed I won't
>be answering the phone.

I personally don't think anyone can really afford to take this
attitude:  Imagine your [husband|wife|son|daughter|whatever] tries to
call you from the house of a friend who has CPID turned off.  Do you
choose you friends by whether or not they have CPID?  Or what if the
person calling you has been in an accident and is using the phone of
someone near the accident, who may have CPID turned off.

I think if I called AmEx and found them calling me by name I would be
a bit disconcerted too, but then I make most such calls from my
office, as, it would seem, do a fair portion of others.  The moral
here is that if you are calling anyone - business or personal - from a
phone which is not your home phone, CPID becomes just about useless.

Furthermore, even if you have CPID, I'm not sure how much good it
does:  Would you recognize the phone numbers of everyone who might
have a "legitimate" reason to call you and not answer the others?
CPID doesn't help you distinguish a "junk" call from a real call, so
its not much good for screening you calls.  About the only marginally
useful thing it does is give you advance warning on who is calling
from those (relatively few) numbers you do know.  The people whose
numbers *I* would recoginze are generally also the people who's voices I
would recognize right away anyway!

It just doesn't sound that wonderful to me.
--
David Bernholdt			bernhold@qtp.ufl.edu
Quantum Theory Project		bernhold@ufpine.bitnet