[comp.dcom.telecom] Calling Party ID Suspension

telecom@eecs.nwu.edu (TELECOM Moderator) (03/13/89)

Yes, it was in the [Chicago Tribune] on Sunday. It really makes me
sick to think about the whiners and complainers who feel they are
somehow entitled to invade *my privacy* anytime they please by making
phone calls anonymously; that you or I have no right to know who is
calling us before we answer the phone.

A group calling itself the American 'Civil Liberties' Union has also entered
the controversy, saying that persons engaged in (what are alleged to be)
illegal activities using the telephone would be forced in effect to give
testimony against themselves when their phone number is revealed to their
victim(s).

Next thing you know, the ACLU and others will want to outlaw peepholes in
the front door of your home on the theory you have no right to know
ahead of time who has come to visit you. What of the rights of computer
system administrators harassed by phreaks? What of the rights of
people who get anonymous, harassing phone calls in the middle of the night?
Well, so what! Phreaks and weirdos get more rights in this country than
the rest of us.

What truely makes me gag -- puts me on the verge of the dry heaves -- by
this stupid court order is that someone managed to convince the judge
-- a know-nothing where telecom is concerned -- that announcing the identity
of a caller when putting through a connection was tantamount to
'tracing a call'. If the secretary in my office asks who is calling before
she puts through a call to me, are we to now assume she is in
violation of the law? The Call ID equipment is nothing more or less than
an automated version of a human person asking a caller 'who are you? what
is your call about?'

So much for the privacy rights of the rest of us. Where people get the idea
they should be able to hide behind their phone is beyond me.

Naturally, rebuttal messages will be printed.

Patrick Townson

tanner@bikini.cis.ufl.edu (Dr. T. Andrews) (03/13/89)

Not to worry.  The woman calling from the shelter and the person
concerned with keeping his phone number secret will simply call
from a pay phone.

(I'm not entirely convinced that the anti-ACLU rhetoric was called
 for.  Many of the unpopular causes they support are important.  Sure,
 we all hate the nazis, or the drug dealers who object to the cops
 trashing their houses w/o warrents.  You'd mind if the republicans
 were barred from recruiting, though; you would probably also object
 if the cops came through and trashed YOUR house.)
---
...!bikini.cis.ufl.edu!ki4pv!tanner  ...!bpa!cdin-1!cdis-1!ki4pv!tanner
or...  {allegra killer gatech!uflorida decvax!ucf-cs}!ki4pv!tanner

salex@grad1.cis.upenn.edu (03/14/89)

I would have no objection if the phone company were providing a service
whereby a little box on the side of the phone were to indicate that
Scott Alexander was calling.  This would be the same service that one
gets with your doorway peephole.  However, Calling Party ID gives
an additional piece of information.  If my phone number appears on your
CPI box, you can now call me.  For the vast majority of the calls that
I make, I don't mind giving out my phone number.  Howerver, there are
times when I make calls to businesses or governmental agencies when I
want to retain anonymity.  For instance, if I call Sears, I don't want
to be added to their junk phone call list.

I believe that I saw proposed on this list a more complex service where
one would be able to block remote Calling Party ID.  Instead of my number
appearing on your box, you would get a *** sort of display.  At this point,
you may decide not to answer my call or to let your answering machine
answer it.  However, you would also have the option of requesting that
the call be traced and my number become available to Bell if the call was of
some illegal nature.  This strikes me as a more reasonable balance of my
privacy against your right to be secure against annoying, phone-based
intrusions.

As a side note, to make my biases somewhat more clear, if it does go through
in Pennsylvania, I'll almost certainly get CPI for my phone.  If Pa Bell were
to take my suggestions as the solutions to all their problems, I would tend
to carefully block all calls that I made to non-residences because I believe
some large business is going to start collecting numbers fairly soon.

Scott Alexander
salex@linc.cis.upenn.edu

albert%endor@husc6.harvard.edu (David Albert) (03/14/89)

>Yes, it was in the [Chicago Tribune] on Sunday. It really makes me
>sick to think about the whiners and complainers who feel they are
>somehow entitled to invade *my privacy* anytime they please by making
>phone calls anonymously; that you or I have no right to know who is
>calling us before we answer the phone.

While I agree that I do not have the right to invade your privacy, and
that you have the right to know who is calling before picking up the
phone, I believe that at least one of the proposed solutions would safeguard
your right without causing what I consider to be extremely important
problems.  If I am able to block my number from being sent, you could
see from your calling-number-ID display that I have done so and refuse to
answer.  I imagine that the technology could be put in place that would
even keep your phone from ringing under these circumstances.

Nevertheless, calling-number-blocking MUST be made available to people who
want to call the Samaritans, the police (at their business number), the
IRS (or almost any government office), and arguably to people calling
any business number.  It really makes me sick to think about the whiners
and complainers who so callously want to throw away *my right to privacy*
when making calls to provide information to or ask questions of people who
have *invited* these calls, especially when such information could later
be matched to my name and used for telephone solicitation, blackmail,
criminal charges, etc.

>So much for the privacy rights of the rest of us. Where people get the idea
>they should be able to hide behind their phone is beyond me.

People should be able to remain anonymous when calling businesses,
government bureaus, and talk and help lines.  If such lines could be
permanently barred from receving calling-number-ID info, fine, otherwise
some sort of blocking system must be developed.  Again, you are free to
completely ignore (or even never be made aware of) anonymous calls.

David Albert				  |"To hardly know him is to know
UUCP: ...{think, rutgers}!harvard!albert  | him well."  Cary Grant, in
INTERNET: albert@harvard.harvard.edu	  |   _The Philadelphia Story_

levitt@zorro9.fidonet.org (Ken Levitt) (03/14/89)

<In a message dated 3/13/89, Patrick Townson writes>

>A group calling itself the American 'Civil Liberties' Union has also entered
>the controversy, saying that persons engaged in (what are alleged to be)
>illegal activities using the telephone would be forced in effect to give
>testimony against themselves when their phone number is revealed to their
>victim(s).

By this logic, you would have to outlaw testimony from handwriting experts
in a kidnapping case.  Of corse the kidnapper could have used a typewriter.
Then again, the caller could go out and use a pay phone.  If anyone can see
a difference here, I would like to know what it is.

Ken Levitt

P.S. I have passed along comments on this subject to the FidoNet Law
Conference.  If I get any good replies, I'll post them here.

--
Ken Levitt - via FidoNet node 1:16/390
UUCP: ...harvard!talcott!zorro9!levitt

ms6b+@andrew.cmu.edu (Marvin Sirbu) (03/14/89)

I can't let the moderator's flaming regarding caller ID go unanswered.

If I knock on your door and refuse to identify myself, you don't have to let me
in.  If I refuse to identify msyelf to your secretary over the phone, you don't
have to take the call.

The problem is not with caller ID per se, but with making it compulsory.  I see
nothing wrong with providing callers the option to disable automatic forwarding
of caller ID to callee.  If I am a drug prevention hot line, I will choose to
accept all calls whether or not the caller has disabled forwarding of his/her
ID.  On my home phone, I will probably choose not to answer or let my answering
machine pick up, if caller ID has been diabled by the caller. It is technically
not very difficult to allow for disabling of caller ID.  In California where
some 20+% of all lines are unlisted, Pactel has responded to the marketplace
and indicated that it will allow callers to disable caller ID either on a per
call basis, or by presubscription.  However, anyone who does that will have to
take the risk that I won't answer their call.

As we enter the ISDN age it will be a trivial matter for me to program my phone
so it doesn't even ring if the caller has suppressed caller-ID.  However, if
the monopoly local network reveals my number, even over my objection, I have no
choice but to give up using the phone -- a rather high price to pay, I would
argue.

The economic theory of legal property rights argues that rights should be
allocated in such a way as to minimize the total social burden associated with
exercising and protecting these rights.  It makes far more sense to put the
burden on the callee to refuse to answer if the caller chooses to remain
unidentified.

Marvin Sirbu
Carnegie Mellon University
internet:  ms6b+@andrew.cmu.edu
bitnet:    ms6b+%andrew@CMCCVB

sidney@goldhill.com (Sidney Markowitz) (03/14/89)

The controversy has reached Massachusetts, with NYNEX talking about
following New Jersey's lead of instituting calling party ID that can
not be blocked. MIT's new phone system has calling party ID, but a
caller can block it on a per call basis by entering the appropriate
code. The student-run peer counseling hot line dealt with the privacy
issue by announcing that they had removed the lcd indicators from
their phones.

It seems to me that the MIT system's solution is the ideal. I like the
idea of being able to screen my calls. At the same time, the very same
facility would force me to provide my home number to any business I
call in exchange for the convenience of calling from my home. The
correct balance would allow anyone to choose whether or not they
announce their number before I answer the phone, and allow me to
choose whether to answer the phone from an anonymous or unfamiliar
number. Perhaps even better would be an additional feature that would
allow me to press a button and have the caller's (blocked) ID recorded
at the telco office, where they would only release it under proper
legal circumstances. That would provide both caller and callee with a
useful degree of service, privacy, choice and protection from harassment.

The worst solution in my opinion is the current New Jersey one of
alleviating the current lack of privacy of the callee by decreasing
the privacy of the caller. I find myself on both ends of the phone
too often to want to take only side.

-- sidney markowitz <sidney@goldhill.com>

desnoyer@apple.com (Peter Desnoyers) (03/14/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0086m04@vector.UUCP> telecom@eecs.nwu.edu (TELECOM
Moderator) writes:

> [volumes of vehement verbiage concerning the lack of moral fiber and
>  general unworthiness of people who want to preserve their privacy when
>  they call, and a few gratuitous insults directed at the ACLU.]

Why should it bother you if people are allowed to call you without
reporting their number? Just program your phone to ignore those
calls :-)

More practically, I would note that providing the calling party ID
provides no more and no less information than "tracing a call" - a
dated phrase that does not accurately describe the process it
identifies. (and hence is an ideal candidate to become legal
language.) They are both inquiries, without specification of
procedure, and return the same information, from the same source -
that looks like good enough grounds for equivalence to convince me.

If someone is making harassing phone calls, there is a service you can
get today to allow you to trace numbers and report the call to the
telco. (they charge for it, which they shouldn't) The point is that
it exists to report harassing phone calls. Period. Not so some
advertiser can get my number and sell a telemarketing list. Not so
someone in Telecom knows everyone who calls me at work, and can
distribute that information.

Anyway, I think there are reasons that a law-abiding citizen might
occasionally want to be able to call anonymously, although I can't
think of one off the bat. There are also reasons why the rest of us
might want to. (the IRS help line?) Mr. Townson is focusing on what
he wants to do to other people, and not on what they want to do to
him.

				Peter Desnoyers

newton@csvax.caltech.edu (Mike Newton) (03/14/89)

There is one "solution" to the problem, though it is expensive.  It
does have the advantage that it is close to what many people on this
list already do:

[1] Have a private (unlisted) number that you give to friends
	and people that you would like to call.  Put a normal
	phone on this line.

[2] Have a second line which is your "outgoing" line.  Put a phone
	on it that has the ringer disabled.

Note that #2 would also make a very good computer line...

- mike

ps: I agree w/ the suggestion that "allow blocking by caller, but that the
called number can have the phone co. record the info".  However, if that
isn't implemented, the above would be _my_ solution.

Of course, Hawaii has GTE, and this island is so backward i suspect they
still use step-by-step, so i dont have to worry much....

	From the bit bucket in the middle of the Pacific...
Mike Newton				newton@csvax.caltech.edu
Caltech Submillimeter Observatory	kahuna!newton@csvax.caltech.edu
Post Office Box 4339
Hilo Hawaii 96720			808 935 1909
	"Reality is a lie that hasn't been found out yet..."

levin@bbn.com (Joel B Levin) (03/15/89)

Are you seriously saying that if I pay good money to the local telco
for a non-published number, I can no longer make a call without
telling every Tom/Dick/Harry what my number is?  Why do you think I
would have been paying for an N.P. number all this time?

CPID service with caller suppressible ID and an answering machine
seems like the ideal combination.  I don't have to tell you my phone
number if I don't want to and you don't have to answer my call (live
or at all) if you don't want to.

	/JBL

paul@unhtel.uucp (Paul S. Sawyer) (03/15/89)

Patrick,

	I am basically in agreement with you on this.  For those who feel
a need not to be identified to those they call, how about:

	1.  A per-call code (#xx, or some such) which would encode the
	    calling number for that one call, and/or a chargeable service
	    where an encoded I.D. would be the default

	2.  The encoded I.D. could be mapped to the caller's number BY
	    THE TELCO on request of the callee (for cases of harrassment,
	    etc.)  or IMMEDIATELY upon request of an emergency center operated
	    by a public safety agency (fire, police, etc.)

	3.  The Telco would keep records of these I.D. maskings for a long
	    enough time so that any question of abuse on either side
	    could be proven (so the lawyers can get their unfair share...)

	4.  The encoded number of such a call should be displayed, and should
	    be distinctive enough so that anyone who did not wish to receive
	    an "anonymous" call could choose not to.

	As the New Hampsha fahma (New Hampshire farmer) told his dinner
guest, as he ignored the many rings of the newly installed telephone, "I
paid good money to have that thing put in for MY convenience - not theirs."
--
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Paul S. Sawyer              uunet!unh!unhtel!paul     paul@unhtel.UUCP

PCI@cup.portal.com (03/15/89)

Patrick Townson,
I could not agree with you more regarding number ID and privacy.  My thoughts
regarding ACLU and others trying to "force" right of privacy for the worlds
misfits belongs in another conference BUT if a customer wants to pay the
phone company for the privilage of knowing who called, it should not
be stopped by peceived privacy issues.

I am in the common carrier business... a strange but very short leap
would be that I am NOT legaly allowed to obtain caller ID for billing..
after all that would invade the "privacy" of someone trying to steal
my services..and since that is against the law on Guam as well as the rest
of the US... and since the caller's nuber is provided upon placing
a call for billing.. he would incriminate himself.  I really see
little difference in an individual, small carrier or AT&T obtaining
the caller ID.  If this issue is found in favor of privacy, when will
the common carriers lose access to this information?

Bob Kelley
PCI
Guam

jbn@glacier.stanford.edu (John B. Nagle) (03/15/89)

     The Orlando FL area was the first area with caller ID services,
offered under the name TouchStar.  But the rules seem to vary from
area to area.  I read in that area that calls from an unlisted number
displayed as the word "private" on caller ID displays.  Even without
a caller ID display, one could, using some sequence beginning with
an *, call back the last number that called you.  Whether this applied
when called from an unlisted number is not clear.

     Is there to be an FCC comment period on this?

     I propose the following:

	- A subscriber can select both whether calls from his number
	  will be identified, and whether his number will accept calls
	  from unidentified numbers.

	- A call from a nonidentifying number to a number that requires
	  a caller ID results in an intercept message.

	- A call from a nonidentifying number can be made identifying
	  by using some prefix.  This prefix should be mentioned in the
	  intercept message.

This should preserve everyone's rights.

					John Nagle

rdr@killer.dallas.tx.us (Dean Riddlebarger) (03/16/89)

Patrick,

No rebuttal, I'm afraid; I don't disagree with most of your arguments.
The thing that interests me about the whole situation is simply why
people are suddenly getting hot and bothered over such a thing.  It may
have something to do with the fact that personal ANI is, well, personal,
and it usually takes a situation in which new technology comes in
the front door of your home to make you think about such things.
[Come on all you closet sociologists....let's have some opinions on
this!]

I would be a bit more worried about the fact that telco and governmental
agencies have had access to ANI-like functions [and more!] for years
and years, and we have seen demonstrated instances of abuse.  Review
a certain case involving Cincinnati Bell, various citizens and
officials, and the FBI if you want an example straight from current
events.  In addition, major companies will most likely add this
new offering much faster than average homeowners, such equipment
options have been known for a few years  [relating to ISDN oriented
announcements], and we have not seen half the furor that the home-use
announcements have caused.

When a new product, service, or option comes along it has always
proven very hard to legislate or adjudicate it out of existence.  Most
of the whiners would be better off if they focused on creating legal
structures to guard against or provide recourse in the event of
abuse.

Dean Riddlebarger
Systems Consultant - AT&T
[216] 348-6863
reasonable path: att!crfax!crnsnwbt!rdr

Disclaimer:  They pay the bills, but I don't pretend to represent their
views [and I suspect everyone prefers it that way!].

royc@research.att.com (03/16/89)

Moderator) writes:
> Yes, it was in the [Chicago Tribune] on Sunday. It really makes me
> sick to think about the whiners and complainers who feel they are
> somehow entitled to invade *my privacy* anytime they please by making
> phone calls anonymously; that you or I have no right to know who is
> calling us before we answer the phone.

Yes.  During the divorce I am still going through, I went through a
2-4 month period where I was getting sporadic "silent" or "heavy breathing"
calls; when it finally hit me that this was not a random event, or
possibly not, I made a point of raising the topic in conversations
with those concerned.  I pointedly noted that some of the Telco
billing systems noted not only long distance, but also local,
telephone calls; not onyl who originated, but who hung up.

After that, the pattern changed from10-15 second "silent" calls to
1-2 ring "no party/dial tone" calls.  SO, I received some conirmation
of the source of the harrassment.  (Believe it or not, my attourney
advised me to simply let it go...  divorce is as bad in terms
of legal representation as you may have heard it rumored to be).

What I failed to mention was that ringing tome typically did a 2-second
here, 2-second there pattern, so that if I was clost to the phone,
I had a good chance of getting a pick up in the frst ring.  Nor
did I mention that billing records not typically printed with the
telephone bill would in some ESS areas would ID all local calls.

So, I have a very high interest in seeing this type of thing
available; I would prefer to have it on my telephone bill as well,
in terms of incoming calls to my phone(s).

> A group calling itself the American 'Civil Liberties' Union has also entered
> the controversy, saying that persons engaged in (what are alleged to be)
> illegal activities using the telephone would be forced in effect to give
> testimony against themselves when their phone number is revealed to their
> victim(s).

This _can_be_ an area of great concern.  Look back to the 1920s, and later on,
when some legislators have made attempts to mandate the use of the
social security card as a national identity card.  The big thing
is that this opens the door on a lot of thing.  It is not a trivial matter;
fundamentally, your identity is your own, and _no_one_ should be
allowed to force you to have to reveal it (all other things being
equal, no crime in progress, etc.)  This is a basic principle,
which I agree with totally.

The flip side is, every _other_ individual has the right to require you
to identify yourself if they are going to deal with you.  This prevents
blindside harrassment opportunities.  So both sides are in the right
in this discussion.

> Next thing you know, the ACLU and others will want to outlaw peepholes in
> the front door of your home on the theory you have no right to know
> ahead of time who has come to visit you. What of the rights of computer
> system administrators harassed by phreaks? What of the rights of
> people who get anonymous, harassing phone calls in the middle of the night?
> Well, so what! Phreaks and weirdos get more rights in this country than
> the rest of us.

I would hope that the protection of both sides can be arranged.  In the
past being black, gay, having AIDS (cancer, tuberculosis, leprosy),
not being blue eyed Aryan, etc.  There is, by the way; read on.

> What truely makes me gag -- puts me on the verge of the dry heaves -- by
> this stupid court order is that someone managed to convince the judge
> -- a know-nothing where telecom is concerned -- that announcing the identity
> of a caller when putting through a connection was tantamount to
> 'tracing a call'. If the secretary in my office asks who is calling before

Yah.  Judges have been known to make somewhat less than sanguine decisions;
such as having a three year old travel 3.5 hours round trip for a two
hour visitation.  (OH, I could go on).  But they are also human, and
prone to all of the ailments involved.  Getting the apporpriate
information to the judge involved at the right time (yes, it does
make a difference; the attourneys I have been involved with have been
frank frank in (very, very privately) noting that Judgements change
radically if there was no coffee for Him in the morning; they have also
commented on how weak a particluar judge may be).

	Pardon my sexist commentary: coffee for Her in the morning.

> she puts through a call to me, are we to now assume she is in
> violation of the law? The Call ID equipment is nothing more or less than
> an automated version of a human person asking a caller 'who are you? what
> is your call about?'

Precisely:  there is an easy way out of this dichotomy.

> So much for the privacy rights of the rest of us. Where people get the idea
> they should be able to hide behind their phone is beyond me.

The main worry about this is that in a situation involving an overwhelming
preponderance of power, the act of attempting communication _at_all_
can be used as a suppressive means to _prevent_ the accurate transmittal
of attestments.  I have been involved with such a scene, to my horror;
being confronted with 4-5 police officers in an encloistered room with
no witnesses changes your idea about these protections, rather rapidly.

Please note I have no favor with the ACLU: I like their ideals,
disagree with some of their decisions and pursuits, and have been
in a bad scene with them as well.  When I attempted to pass on
this particular occurrence to them, they would not even listen to it
unless an act of actual _physical_ abuse could be demonstrated.

Please note:  the Gestapo did not carry out much physical abuse
during a large interval of the war; they did not have to:  fear of
them stopped most attempts at resistance, and for those that did,
there were other branches of the "government" to carry out the
"appropriate procedures" then in common practique.

> Naturally, rebuttal messages will be printed.

So here is how to resolve the conflict, really simply:  I want to talk to you,
and you want to talk to me.  I do not want to abridge your rights, and you
do not want to enfringe on mine.  Neither of us wants to harrass the other.
SO, no calling party ID is needed; a verbal "Who are you?" is
enough; if you refuse to ID, I can hang up.

Given the new service available, the Telco on each end of the conversation
can ask each subscriber these questions:

	- Do you want to ID yourself to the called party?

		= name or unique identity (credit or
		  calling cards can provide this)
		= station address (telephone number)
		= Unique anonymity code on a per call basis
		  (I do not want you to trace me, but I am
		  willing to allow later valid authorities
		  to trace this call to a unique location and
		  time)
		= Regional anonymity code (identified to a
		  region, a Telco, or some broader form of
		  anonymity); or various flavors if this.
		= Total anonymity

	- DO you wish to accept calls from parties who ID
	  corresponds to any of the classes above? Do you wish
	  to place calls to people who will not ID themselves
	  as recipients?

	- Do you wish your calling party to know who you are?
	  To what level? (The same as s/he is willing to let you
	  know?)

	- Do you wish to see calling party information on your
	  telephone right away or at billing time?  And in the
	  reverse direction?

With computers which enable the calling party ID service at all,
this type of capability is no additional equipment expense; the
additional reverse channel communication should be zero in ALL
intraLATA (or whatever they call'em today) calls (the switch
has all the pertinent information); and for interLATA calls,
a toll chargeback agreement implies reverse channel billing information,
along with some kind of a verification protocol; the additional
cost would be one more message pass (AT MOST) before the remote
would agree to accept the call and the local would agree to continue
to place it.  In many cases this is already the case just to exchange
basic accounting information.

	Yes, occassionally Telcos are known Not to Minimize Costs

By setting the defaults to:

	- Anonymous caller (I will remain anonymous when I call)
		with unique anonymity code
	- Anonymous accept (I will accept calls from people who
		will not identify themselves) with unique
		anonymity code
	- Anonymous receipt (I will call whoever answers)
	- Anonymous placing (I will not identify myself to the caller)

you have the situation just prior to calling party ID services;
with the additonal proviso that the Telco should keep records of these
anonymous calls for some period of time, or should print on a billing record
at the request of the party an anonymous code (different for each end
of the link, with only the Telco having the tying information:  the
rquest of the customer to have it on the billing record would be
enough to require it being kept by the Telco).

Probably ID'ed caller with anonymous accept & receipt, with unique
anonymity code for anonymous placing would be sufficient, as long
as some level of trust is placed in our officials (and I do).

So both sides of the coin can be satisfied.

How about it, folks?

roy a. crabtree att!mtdca!royc US 201-957-6033

kaufman@polya.stanford.edu (Marc T. Kaufman) (03/17/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0087m01@vector.UUCP> ms6b+@andrew.cmu.edu (Marvin
Sirbu) writes:

>The problem is not with caller ID per se, but with making it compulsory. I see
>nothing wrong with providing callers the option to disable automatic
>forwarding of caller ID to callee.  If I am a drug prevention hot line,
>I will choose to accept all calls whether or not the caller has disabled
>forwarding of his/her ID.  On my home phone, I will probably choose not to
>answer or let my answering machine pick up, if caller ID has been diabled by
>the caller...

I read (somewhere ?) that calls to 911 will not complete if caller ID is
disabled.

Marc Kaufman (kaufman@polya.stanford.edu)

[Moderator's Note: I think not. Calls to 911 complete regardless. For example
here in Chicago, dialing the number 312-787-0000 connects to Chicago Emergency
while leaving the police dispatcher with a blank for the calling
number. This number is intended for use by TSPS operators, whom it
seems are unable to dial 911 from their consoles.

In theory, when the operator receives an emergency service request, he is
supposed to stay on the line until 911 (actually 787-0000) answers and then
pass the number *as he sees it* to the emergency dispatcher. Not all
of them bother doing it. Likewise, emergency calls are sometimes
placed to the City of Chicago centrex operators; they hit a transfer
button and send the call sailing off to 1121 South State Street at 911 H.Q.
Calls transferred that way do not show caller ID to the dispatcher either.
PT]

gws@cbnews.att.com (Gary W. Sanders) (03/17/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0089m01@vector.UUCP> "John B. Nagle" <glacier!jbn
@labrea.stanford.edu> writes:

>	Not matter what happens with enable and disable, I would
>hope that emergency services or at least the operator could
>override system paramters and force a phone to ring.

	Also I dont know about the rest of you, but unless this
services is free I doubt that I would ever want it. At work I need
to answer the phone whenever it rings or at least have my machine answer
it. At home I answer the phone. Do people really hate answering phones that
much? Do you really have that few friends that you could enter their phone
number into the "answer list"? I know the salemen are a pain, but
"no I am not interested" seems to stop them or hang up the phone.

	About the only thing I would like from calling party ID is to
tell me if its one of those machines calling. I hate coming
home and having my answering machine tape used up talking to some
other answering machine. These things are as bad as the machines
that call YOU and put YOU on hold to wait for a sales person. What a pain!!!!

In article <telecom-v09i0089m07@vector.UUCP> levin@bbn.com (Joel B Levin)
writes:

>	If the phone company is going to ship the phone number
>of the call down the line, then how about some more info. Tell me
>the name of the person calling or at least the billing name. Sending
>me a phone doesn't give me much info, how many phone number
>do you know, I know freinds and family. You folks going to refuse to
>answer the phone just because the phone number is unknown? maybe
>uncle Bob has moved and want to tell you his new number....

	It seems that the telco's are trying to nickle and dime
folks to death with "service". I still wonder how a telco can
charge for touch tone service. Seem to me that they would want
to switch things around to get the "aunt Martha" off of rotary dial
and into the 90's. How much additional cost is added to a switch
to support pulse dial. Its got to start adding up.

--
Gary Sanders (N8EMR) gws@cbnews (w) gws@n8emr (h)
614-860-5965 (353-5965 cornet)

geek@mit-amt.media.mit.edu (Chris Schmandt) (03/18/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0087m05@vector.UUCP> sidney@goldhill.com (Sidney
Markowitz) writes:

>  <talk about MIT's 5ESS and ISDN system>
>
>It seems to me that the MIT system's solution is the ideal. I like the
>idea of being able to screen my calls.

It is indeed true that call screening is very useful.  Note that our
LCD display shows calling party *number*, not name.  Because we have
calling party ID for internal calls only, it also lets me see when
I'm getting an outside call.  It is convenient to be able to treat the
two cases differently (an inside call is usually brief and let's me help
someone in my organization get something done; outside calls are more
likely asking *me* to do something).

I've noticed a lot of use of calling party ID.  People will answer
the phone with "hi chris!", and it's not just us phone hackers, so
it must be useful.

The obvious solution to the privacy issue is that I would like two bits
on my phone.
 1) I will or will not allow my number to be transmitted
 2) I will or will not accept calls which do not ID calling party.

<I'd argue that given the widespread use of telemarketing, I would not
want to give my number to ANY business>

The problem is, it must be trivial (automatic?) to en/dis able the
first bit.  Here I have to dial a 2 digit prefix for privacy (called
party sees "private number" on the display).  That's fine for
occaisional use, but I think it would be inadequate for my taste
in my house.

(personally, I might be satisfied with banning telemarketing and
prefix-override for those occaisional calls which really should be
anonymous).

Otherwise, great business for those AOS's running (anonymous) pay
phones!!

chris

peggy@ddsw1.mcs.com (Peggy Shambo) (03/18/89)

Interesting scenario:

Hubby:  Hi, hon.. sorry, but I gotta work late at the office.. again.
Wife:   (after noting # on display is that of her best friend, who
	is all alone while *her* hubby is out of town [his boss?]
        Fine, honey.  You can now call your favorite divorce lawyer.  :-)

Peg Shambo           | Sophisticated Lady, I know.          |  Ellington/
peggy@ddsw1.mcs.com  | You miss the Love you had long ago   |  Mills/Parish
		     | And when nobody is nigh, you cry.    |

amanda@uunet.uu.net (Amanda Walker) (03/18/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0091m02@vector.UUCP>,
	paul@unhtel.uucp (Paul S. Sawyer) writes:

   	As the New Hampsha fahma (New Hampshire farmer) told his dinner
   guest, as he ignored the many rings of the newly installed telephone, "I
   paid good money to have that thing put in for MY convenience - not theirs."

This is basically my opinion;  I don't have a phone as a service to anyone
who feels they want to call me;  I installed it for my own convenience.
I pay for it, after all.  I should be able to decide how and when I use it.

Also, something I haven't seen mentioned in this debate is the idea that
there are businesses that would be hurt by mandatory caller-id reporting.
They may be annoying, but they're not illegal--things like high-pressure
telemarketing "boiler rooms."  It kind of takes the edge of a hard sell if
someone can say "I'll think about it and call you back..."

It's not black and white, and because of that I think that the ability to
disable caller id reporting is important.  It keeps the most options open
for everyone.

--
Amanda Walker, InterCon Systems Corporation
amanda@lts.UUCP / ...!uunet!lts!amanda / 703.435.8170

kaufman@polya.stanford.edu (Marc T. Kaufman) (03/19/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0095m04@vector.UUCP> Amanda Walker <lts!amanda@uunet.
uu.net> writes:
>In article <telecom-v09i0091m02@vector.UUCP>,
>	paul@unhtel.uucp (Paul S. Sawyer) writes:

>>   	As the New Hampsha fahma (New Hampshire farmer) told his dinner
>>   guest, as he ignored the many rings of the newly installed telephone, "I
>>   paid good money to have that thing put in for MY convenience, not theirs."

>This is basically my opinion;  I don't have a phone as a service to anyone
>who feels they want to call me;  I installed it for my own convenience.
>I pay for it, after all.  I should be able to decide how and when I use it.

and as Walter Mathau said in the movie (title escapes me... about a female
justice of the Supreme Court): "the telephone has no constitutional right to
be answered."

When I first heard of caller-ID, I suggested to a large E-mail company that
they provide end-to-end ID over their net so that BBS operators could verify
users... and tag uploaded messages with the originator... so that SYSOPS could
pass the responsibility for content back to the source.

If you go to another country, you will discover that there is no 'right' to
even HAVE a phone, much less make anonymous calls with one.  As for using
mechanical counters for toll purposes... I suspect that is due more to ease
of implementation (in relay days) than to any real privacy related issue.

If you don't want to disclose who you are, send your questions via mail in an
envelope with no return address.    :-)

Marc Kaufman (kaufman@polya.stanford.edu)

smb@research.att.com (03/20/89)

	 >From: "Marc T. Kaufman" <kaufman@polya.stanford.edu>

	 As for using mechanical counters for toll purposes... I suspect
	 that is due more to ease of implementation (in relay days) than
	 to any real privacy related issue.

Sorry, not so.  Or rather, while that may have been the original motive
for installing the pulse meters, the status quo is very loudly defended
on privacy grounds.

writes:

>CPID service with caller suppressible ID and an answering machine
>seems like the ideal combination.  I don't have to tell you my phone
>number if I don't want to and you don't have to answer my call (live
>or at all) if you don't want to.

I hope it will be possible to tell the difference between someone who
intentionally suppreses the ID and someone who doesn't have the
new equipment.  Why would anyone answer a call if you know the caller
didn't want you to be able to call back?

Les Mikesell

brian@cbw1.UUCP (Brian Cuthie) (03/22/89)

Moderator) writes:

>Yes, it was in the [Chicago Tribune] on Sunday. It really makes me
>sick to think about the whiners and complainers who feel they are
>somehow entitled to invade *my privacy* anytime they please by making
>phone calls anonymously; that you or I have no right to know who is
>calling us before we answer the phone.

I *do* consider it to be an invasion of my privacy for many reasons.
Example: You place an ad in the paper.  I call about the ad.  Do you then
have the right to know who I am and where I am calling from.  No, I think
not.  My call to you was a result of a solicitation to invade your privacy.
Not for you to invade mine.

>A group calling itself the American 'Civil Liberties' Union has also entered
>the controversy, saying that persons engaged in (what are alleged to be)
>illegal activities using the telephone would be forced in effect to give
>testimony against themselves when their phone number is revealed to their
>victim(s).

Learn something about the legal system.  They are protecting this right
because, while rediculous on it's face, their claim is technically correct.
Allowing this seamingly reasonable violation of a fundamental right may
constitute pecedent in some later issue, where the violation of a similar
right would otherwise seem less reasonable.

>Next thing you know, the ACLU and others will want to outlaw peepholes in
>the front door of your home on the theory you have no right to know
>ahead of time who has come to visit you. What of the rights of computer
>system administrators harassed by phreaks? What of the rights of
>people who get anonymous, harassing phone calls in the middle of the night?
>Well, so what! Phreaks and weirdos get more rights in this country than
>the rest of us.

No this is childish pantering.  The service (mentioned incompletely here)
usually includes a feature whereby a user may 'trap' the number of the
most recent caller.  This information is then available to the local
authorities but *not* the user.  Thus, the privacy of the calling party is
preserved in all but those cases where the authorities become involved.
This seems fair to me.  If your calls constitute harassment then you will
lose this privacy.

>What truely makes me gag -- puts me on the verge of the dry heaves -- by

Is this *REALLY* necessary?  C'om I mean you're supposed to be the
moderator, no less.

>this stupid court order is that someone managed to convince the judge
>-- a know-nothing where telecom is concerned -- that announcing the identity

That's ok, what he doesn't know about phones, you more than make up for in
your lack of legal knowledge.

>of a caller when putting through a connection was tantamount to
>'tracing a call'. If the secretary in my office asks who is calling before
>she puts through a call to me, are we to now assume she is in
>violation of the law? The Call ID equipment is nothing more or less than

No, because you, as the caller, have the option to not answer the question.
That's all the ACLU is asking for to begin with.

>an automated version of a human person asking a caller 'who are you? what
>is your call about?'

Not if you can't decline.

>So much for the privacy rights of the rest of us. Where people get the idea
>they should be able to hide behind their phone is beyond me.

Protect these rights now.  You will need them someday.  It is easy to be
willing to throw away the rights of others (alleged criminals or not) but
when you do so you are throwing away your own rights also.

>Naturally, rebuttal messages will be printed.

I'll be suprised if this one is.

--
Brian D. Cuthie                                 uunet!umbc3!cbw1!brian
Columbia, MD                                    brian@umbc3.umbc.edu

[Moderator's Note: Suprised?? What do you think this is, the {New York Times}??
Unlike my competitor, not only do I print all the news that fits my (fill
in the blank); I don't even charge fifty cents to read my daily heresies.
Thank you for your input in the discussion.   PT]

royc@att.att.com (03/23/89)

My earlier posting had a typographical error in it; as bad as the scene of
my divorce is, I do not want to inaccurately blind side someone
who cannot talk back:

In article <telecom-v09i0097m01@vector.UUCP>, att!mtdca!royc@research.att.com
writes:
[elided]
> Yah.  Judges have been known to make somewhat less than sanguine decisions;
> such as having a three year old travel 3.5 hours round trip for a two
> hour visitation.  (OH, I could go on).  But they are also human, and
> prone to all of the ailments involved.  Getting the apporpriate
[elided]

The figure I wanted was 2.5 hours:  from 96th Street in Manhattan to
the Homdel region of NJ, plus return, by car.  Minimum of 2.5 hours
(maybe 2:15 if you push the speed limit).

roy a. crabtree att!mtdca!royc 201-957-6033

dave@uunet.uu.net (Dave Horsfall) (03/23/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0087m02@vector.UUCP>,
    desnoyer@apple.com (Peter Desnoyers) writes:

| Anyway, I think there are reasons that a law-abiding citizen might
| occasionally want to be able to call anonymously, although I can't
| think of one off the bat.

A slightly contrived, but nonetheless valid example:

You've just unwittingly witnessed a crime, a murder perhaps.  They
are MOST interested in eliminating you, and they probably have a mole
in the police department.  The result?  Concrete shoes for you, m'boy...

The trouble with being a law-abiding citizen is that not everyone else is.

And a LOT of people just "don't want to get involved", but will come
forward upon a guarantee of anonymity.  A regular event in Australia is
Project Noah, where you are invited to ring a special number if you have
any information whatsoever, no matter how vacuous, on drug deals.  It has
resulted in successful prosecutions, but naturally some of the callers
may not wish to identify themselves.  Heck, some of them could be the
drug-dealer's competition :-)

Another example (which I certainly admit to doing):  I want information
on a competitor's product, so I play dumb and ring them up, asking them.
Or I invite myself to their product seminars.  I don't really want them
to recognise my number (if Australia had caller ID, which we don't), yet
it's not illegal.  I'm not impersonating anyone after all, I'm just not
volunteering my affiliations.

In short, there are many legitimate reasons why a caller should not have
to identify him/herself.  You should have the right to refuse such calls,
but those organisations that expect them will no doubt be tolerant.

--
Dave Horsfall (VK2KFU),  Alcatel STC Australia,  dave@stcns3.stc.oz
dave%stcns3.stc.oz.AU@uunet.UU.NET,  ...munnari!stcns3.stc.oz.AU!dave