[net.news.group] GOODBYE net.sources.mac

alex@ucla-cs.UUCP (11/27/85)

In article <943@wcom.UUCP> news@wcom.UUCP (News Administrator) writes:
>	Let's get rid of net.sources.mac. It has never been used to
>distribute _sources_, instead it's used to distribute various pieces of
>ascii-encoded binary programs, most of which are the so-called 'shareware'.
>This does not benefit the net as a whole...
>	If the Mac users are unable to post sources because they don't
>all have machines that are capable of running compilers, then that is
>what local users' groups are for. Shareware and binaries belong in
>users' groups, and local bulletin boards, not cluttering up the net.

i agree.  net.sources.mac is not being used for its intended purpose.  it
seems silly for sites to pay big bucks to distribute binaries they can't
use.  remember, this is USENET, not MACNET.  if you want to distribute
software for the mac, create a network of macintoshes and post it there.
in the meantime, you can mail floppies around or use a user's group.
i'll support net.sources.mac only when i can post and distribute unix-based
source code for profit on a network of macintoshes.

and while we're at it...

it is high time the source groups were moderated.  get rid of net.sources.
create mod.sources.info, which should contain a list of the most recently
posted software, updated perhaps once a week or so, like the net.announce
stuff.   people can simply read mod.sources.info to find out if there is
anything they can use in mod.sources, and can therefore avoid looking through
the majority of useless garbage that currently swims around in net.sources.

and if we're going to delete groups, let's get rid of net.religion.  what
a useless bunch of crap.  net.flame was considerably more interesting.
and get rid of net.philosphy or, at the very least, rename it net.rich.rosen.
both of these groups are completely and totally useless.  since some
backbone sites (like utzoo, i believe) have already gotten rid of them
without incident and seem considerably happier for it.

let's put the UNIX back into USENET.

alex

dww@stl.UUCP (David Wright) (12/02/85)

In article <7783@ucla-cs.ARPA> alex@ucla-cs.UUCP (Alex Quilici) writes:
>i'll support net.sources.mac only when i can post and distribute unix-based
>source code for profit on a network of macintoshes.

But as you're not supposed to use USENET for personal profit that ain't allowed
either.  So there!

>let's put the UNIX back into USENET.

If you want a UNIX-only net then ALL groups should go other than net.unix.*
ones.   That would save a lot of money - and also make the net useless to many
of us.  If the net exists to serve it's present users then it should support
any area of interest pertaining to computer science or the interests of people
in that field (which may well include their leisure interests), so long as that
interest is sufficiently widespread for those who pay the bills to feel it is
justified.   So argue that the Mac is too obscure and little used to justify
the net carrying info/programs for it if you like (it's a view I would strongly
oppose!), but don't say "If it's not UNIX then it's not USENET".

You might like to know that in Europe, where each site pays a share of the
backbone sites' data transmission costs, groups net.jokes, net.politics,
net.pets... etc. are not considered worth paying for and so are not imported
from seismo (nor is net.wine, unfortunately!), but net.mac.sources is.

preece@ccvaxa.UUCP (12/02/85)

> /* Written 12:23 am  Nov 27, 1985 by alex@ucla-cs.UUCP in
> ccvaxa:net.news.group */ i agree.  net.sources.mac is not being used
> for its intended purpose.  it seems silly for sites to pay big bucks to
> distribute binaries they can't use.
----------
You distribute binaries you can't use because there are a lot of
people on the net who CAN use them and you hope that some of those
people will distribute things that THEY can't use but you can.
As an exercise, define the difference between "self interest"
and "enlightened self interest." [I have no particular interest
in seeing your answers, but, I suppose, if it would make you
feel better...]

We have quite a few users here who DO use Macs, both at work
and at home, and would definitely not want the distribution of
useful Mac-ware do stop.

--
scott preece
gould/csd - urbana

rec@mplvax.UUCP (Richard Currier) (12/07/85)

In article <3500024@ccvaxa> preece@ccvaxa.UUCP writes:

>You distribute binaries you can't use because there are a lot of
>people on the net who CAN use them and you hope that some of those
>people will distribute things that THEY can't use but you can.

Well said. As a long time contributor to the net, I have supported
the net for years, mailing out Unix device drivers for non-standard
hardware, providing advice and information to anyone who asked and
in general taking the time and effort to keep the information flowing
into and out of the sites that I have been envolved with.

Now I find that my Unix related work has taken me into the area of
examining the usefulness of the Macintosh as a tool in the Unix
environment.

However, I also find that the information that I need for my Unix
related work that I find in the Macintosh groups is under fire by
people who complain that it is not useful to them personally.

It looks to me like I had better take a good long look at the kind
of people I have been supporting all these years.

--

	richard currier		marine physical lab	u.c. san diego
	{ihnp4|decvax|akgua|dcdwest|ucbvax}	!sdcsvax!mplvax!rec