[comp.dcom.telecom] Urban Legend

julian@seas.ucla.edu (julian macassey) (03/22/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0096m06@vector.UUCP>, GUYDOSRM%SNYPLABA.BITNET@CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL.EDU writes:
> Can this possibly be true?  (I don't know its source.)

> This story was related by Pat Routledge of Winnepeg, ONT about an unusual
> telephone service call he handled while living in England.

(There follows the usual story, deleted here for brevity, of how dog is
chained up, gets electric shock from phone ringing, urinates, sends ground
to the phone line, etc....)

This tale is waht is known today as "Urban Legend", such stories used to
be called "Old Wives Tales". I have heard this story from telco people all
over the world.

Also it must be some years since grounded ringing was used in the UK and
USA. But then this is an old story that has been around probably longer than
I have.

Can we finally lay it to rest with the microwaved poodle story?

Yours

--
Julian Macassey, n6are  julian@bongo    ucla-an!denwa!bongo!julian
n6are@wb6ymh (Packet Radio)  n6are.ampr [44.16.0.81] voice (213) 653-4495

danny@uunet.uu.net (Danny Wilson) (03/27/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0105m06@vector.UUCP>, ucla-an!denwa!bongo!julian@seas.
ucla.edu (julian macassey) writes:
> In article <telecom-v09i0096m06@vector.UUCP>, GUYDOSRM%SNYPLABA.BITNET
@CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL.EDU writes:

> (There follows the usual story, deleted here for brevity, of how dog is
> chained up, gets electric shock from phone ringing, urinates, sends ground
> to the phone line, etc....)

> This tale is waht is known today as "Urban Legend", such stories used to
> be called "Old Wives Tales". I have heard this story from telco people all
> over the world.

For what its worth, these urban legends have been studied for some
time now by the academic community. I heard a radio interview
with an author that searched the origins of such stories.

Although I can't remember that authors name, a while back another
newsgroup furnished the following reference to urban legends:

	"The Vanishing Hitchhiker" by Brunvand

Although I would really like to read this book, I haven't actually
gone out and bought it yet. Has anyone read it?

Danny Wilson			danny@idacom.uucp
IDACOM Electronics
Edmonton, Alberta
C A N A D A