[comp.dcom.telecom] Connected Line ID

gast@cs.ucla.edu (David Gast) (03/27/89)

In a recent issue of the digest
"Fred R. Goldstein dtn226-7388" <goldstein%delni.DEC@decwrl.dec.com> writes:
> Subject: Calling Line Identification Restriction (CLIR) writes:

> (BTW, the CCITT but not ANSI is working on Connected Line ID,
> which tells you where you call was actually answered, if forwarded.)

This idea is a complete invasion of privacy.  The only exception would
be if the called party requests that the calling party obtain it.  I
think that most people on both sides of the Calling Line ID controversy
will agree that Connected Line ID is a bad idea.

Everyone probably agrees that we have the right to answer the phone
anywhere we damn well please without having the calling party know
where we are unless we explicitly choose to provide that information.
Giving our location to a random caller seems like a major invasion of
privacy to me.

For example, a would be burgler calls your home, you have set call
forwarding, and now the burgler knows that you are not at home.  Very
convenient for him.

 /* Sarcasm mode on */
If Connected Line ID is a good idea, why not take Connected Line ID,
one step further?  Why not identify the room in your house where you
are?  Then the calling party could begin ``Mrs. Jones, I am sorry to
bother you while you are in the john, but I have an exciting new
product that ..."  Why not identify who you are?  (The phone could
match your finger print on the handle with a national data base
maintained and sold by the phone company to anyone who wants to buy
it.)
 /* Sarcasm mode off */

Unfortunately, that is the direction we are going.  We somehow believe
that if it is technologically feasible, then we should do it.  Does
anyone see any reasonable need for this Connected Line ID?  (Except
where the callee specifically wants the caller to know where he is
calling.)

To get the definitive answer to this problem, however, we will have to wait
and see what the world's authority on telecom policy, Mike Royko, has to
say. :-)

David Gast
gast@cs.ucla.edu, {uunet,ucbvax,rutgers}!{ucla-cs,cs.ucla.edu}!gast

Note:  Mr Goldstein did not endorse the idea.  He reported on it from his
role as a member of the ANSI subcommittee on CLID and CLIR.