[comp.dcom.telecom] ANI

cosell@wilma.bbn.com (Bernie Cosell) (03/16/89)

It is nice to see that our national columnist think through these things so
clearly as they sit down to pour out their opinions:

> Mike Royko, Chicago Tribune, Monday, March 13, 1989
>

> "For obvious reasons, my home phone number is unlisted. But a guy once
> managed to find it and amuse himself by making drunken, abusive calls late
> at night. After several nights of this, I had to change my number..."

Right, Mike.  And the first time you call the local theatre to find out what
time the movie starts, your precious unlisted number ain't so hidden any
more.

In fact, the more I think about it, the less useful ANI becomes:
either you NEVER answer your phone if it isn't a phone number you
recognize (gee Mike, do you REALLY know the phone numbers of EVERY one
of your colleagues at the Tribune?  and if one has to call you from one
of *their* friends houses are they really out of luck??), or else you
DO.  And if you're being harrassed, it takes a *real* dimwit to do that
from their home phone (I agree that phone harrassment is a dimwit
activity, but to presume that such a person would be careful to use
their home phone seems REALLY naive, no?).

It is astounding to hear people talk about not answering *any* call
from an unrecognized number (and I hope that someday it
isn't your sister with an emergency calling from a pay phone).  So what good
*is* ANI?  Far as I can tell, about the only thing it is good for is to allow
you to recognize the number as being one of your "always-speak-to"s, and so
you answer it right away, whereas if it is from anyone else you screen it
with your answering machine.  Is that really it???  If so this is all quite
remarkable: all of this technology and all of these privacy questions *just*
so that you can receive calls from your friends without having your answering
machine intercede.  Sheesh...

   __
  /  )                              Bernie Cosell
 /--<  _  __  __   o _              BBN Sys & Tech, Cambridge, MA 02238
/___/_(<_/ (_/) )_(_(<_             cosell@bbn.com

cramer@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Clayton Cramer) (03/18/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0093m02@vector.UUCP., cosell@wilma.bbn.com (Bernie
Cosell) writes:
>> Mike Royko, Chicago Tribune, Monday, March 13, 1989
>>

>> "For obvious reasons, my home phone number is unlisted. But a guy once
>> managed to find it and amuse himself by making drunken, abusive calls late
>> at night. After several nights of this, I had to change my number..."

>  Right, Mike.  And the first time you call the local theatre to find out what
>  time the movie starts, your precious unlisted number ain't so hidden any
>  more.

How do you they know which unlisted phone number belongs to which
person?  It's just the same as a random phone call, if you don't know
who is at that number.

> In fact, the more I think about it, the less useful ANI becomes:
> either you NEVER answer your phone if it isn't a phone number you
> recognize (gee Mike, do you REALLY know the phone numbers of EVERY one
> of your colleagues at the Tribune?  and if one has to call you from one
> of *their* friends houses are they really out of luck??), or else you
> DO.  And if you're being harrassed, it takes a *real* dimwit to do that
> from their home phone (I agree that phone harrassment is a dimwit
> activity, but to presume that such a person would be careful to use
> their home phone seems REALLY naive, no?).

I've had people made life threatening phone calls, long distance,
from their home phone, onto an answering machine tape.  The world
is full of dimwits.  (Several of them seem to have formed the ACLU).

--
Clayton E. Cramer                   {pyramid,pixar,tekbspa}!optilink!cramer
Anyone who wants to be a politician bad enough to get elected, shouldn't be.

Disclaimer?  You must be kidding!  No company would hold opinions like mine!

cab@opus.att.com (Courtney Brown) (03/27/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0097m02@vector.UUCP>, optilink!cramer@ames.arc.nasa.
gov (Clayton Cramer) writes:
> In article <telecom-v09i0093m02@vector.UUCP., cosell@wilma.bbn.com (Bernie
> Cosell) writes:
> >> Mike Royko, Chicago Tribune, Monday, March 13, 1989
> >>

> >> "For obvious reasons, my home phone number is unlisted. But a guy once
>
> How do you they know which unlisted phone number belongs to which
> person?  It's just the same as a random phone call, if you don't know
> who is at that number.

> Clayton E. Cramer                   {pyramid,pixar,tekbspa}!optilink!cramer

I pay the phone company good money to remain unlisted, simply because I
want to make the choice as to who gets my phone number -- essentially
who I allow to call me.  When I call to request a service, or merchandise,
I have to identify my self. ANI reveals more information than I would like
without giving me a choice.

If the Telco insists of making ANI standard, will they cancel the charges
for an unlisted number, or will they charge an additional fee so that
my number does not show up via ANI.  I think the latter.  It seems to be
something similar to (gasp!) extortion...  How much is your privacy really
worth to you.

--
          -CAB-