[comp.dcom.telecom] Payphone Booths as Confessionals

telecom@eecs.nwu.edu (TELECOM Moderator) (03/30/89)

Confession, they say, is good for the soul. It is also good for your financial
bottom line, if you market the concept of using the phone to make confession
to the world, while other callers pay to listen to you 'spill your guts',
as the introduction to the outbound version of "I Confess" describes the
messages being played out.

Patrick Kane, president of Telephone Entertainment, Inc. conceived the idea
of using the phone to make confessions while profiting from those
folks who want to hear the lurid thoughts of others. He set up his service
in New York City and allowed -- indeed, encouraged -- anyone and everyone
to call in at no charge. A soothing woman's voice, described in some of
his advertising as 'Priestess' urges, "I want to hear about what you have
done; about your secret thoughts, and the things that have been done to
you..."  And the caller is then given a minute to let it all hang out, no
names required or desired.

The profit for Kane comes in playing back the confessions to callers to his
800/900 incoming lines. He uses both types of lines. The 900 number is local
to the New York City 212/718/914 metro area, where the going rate is $1.50
for the first minute, and 50 cents for each additional confession, or minute
of listening time. From outside the New York City area, confessions can be
monitored in many cities by dialing 1-800-999-6666. On the 800 lines, callers
must use a touch tone phone to enter their VISA/MC number, and they are
billed 99 cents per confession/minute.

Kane's advertising has been cute, regardless of what you might think about
the nature of his business venture otherwise. Maybe its just that New York
Telephone has no sense of humor. A recent full-page ad in the papers described
the service in some detail, but inadvertently or otherwise gave the impression
that New York Telephone was sponsoring the activity.

The advertisement showed a man kneeling in a pay phone booth, with the
caption, "I Confess". The name of Kane's company, Telephone Entertainment
Company, was not shown anywhere in the message, but the picture clearly
showed a payphone with a 'New York Telephone' insignia on it.

Incensed phone company officials cut his outgoing phone lines off the same
day, and they are still muttering about suing Kane. A statement issued by
New York Telephone last week said, "Anyone reading this ad would think that
New York Telephone sanctions and provides this activity. We do not sponsor
such activities or provide a service for our customers to make confessions.
We will do everything possible to protect our customers from advertising
which even suggests that we offer such services or activities."

"The people making those confessions are sick. The confessions are mostly
unbelievable. They are lewd and crude. You cannot advertise such a service
and claim that it is an activity of the New York Telephone Company."

Mr. Kane is meeting with phone company officials to negotiate the restoration
of his outgoing phone lines. For whatever reason, the telco did not cut
service to his incoming lines, and the nice lady is still cooing and telling
the fellows she is there to listen to them....but until his outgoing service
is restored, there is no one to eavesdrop on the confessions, which are
simply building up in the reserve of messages waiting for playback to the
curiosity seekers.

Kane said he would revise his ads to eliminate references to New York Telephone
in the future, or payphone booths and the resulting implication. But he said
in an interview, "Frankly, I am not too impressed with their complaint.
I find their behavior questionable at best."

"Anyway," said Kane, "what are they griping about? My deal with them was
they *get a forty percent cut of the revenue*; why are they acting so
hypocritical?"

Very good question, Mr. Kane. Very good question. Theodore Vail would turn
over in his grave if he saw what had become of Ma Bell's children in the
past few years since the old lady was sent to her reward and final rest.

I must confess though, some of the confessions I heard did give me a good
belly laugh. Some were ridiculous, and some were tragically believable and
real. You don't use Caller ID on the incoming line, do you?

Patrick Townson

rpw3@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Rob Warnock) (03/31/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0116m01@vector.UUCP> telecom@eecs.nwu.edu (TELECOM
Moderator) writes:
+---------------
| Confession, they say, is good for the soul. It's also good for your financial
| bottom line, if you market the concept of using the phone to make confession
| to the world, while other callers pay to listen to you 'spill your guts',
| as the introduction to the outbound version of "I Confess" describes...
+---------------

Shades of John Brunner's novel "Shockwave Rider"! But Brunner's "Hearing Aid"
service ("the ten 9's") was *free*, and no one else but the operator on the
other end would *ever* know what you had said.

(*sigh*) That was fiction; "Confess" is ugly reality...

Rob Warnock
Systems Architecture Consultant

UUCP:	  {amdcad,fortune,sun}!redwood!rpw3
DDD:	  (415)572-2607
USPS:	  627 26th Ave, San Mateo, CA  94403

stox@att.uucp (03/31/89)

{{{ quote edited to pass inews			-chip }}}

telecom@eecs.nwu.edu (TELECOM Moderator):
> [...] using the phone to make confessions while profiting from those
> folks who want to hear the lurid thoughts of others.

Yow !!!	Shades of THX1138. A great George Lucas flick, if
you haven't seen it.

Ken Stox
ihlpb!stox