[comp.dcom.telecom] Selling an Interesting Telephone Number?

siegman@sierra.stanford.edu (Anthony E. Siegman) (03/23/89)

My residential phone number (415 area code) happens to spell a
quite commercially interesting word.  During the 15-plus years I've
had this number I've had a couple of inquiries from businesses wanting
to take it over, paying me something for giving it up.  A recent one
seems serious.

Anyone have any thoughts on the dollar value of such a number?  Rumor
has it that someone whose all-digit dialing number was "AMERICA" got

[Moderator's note: And that is all I received. An attempt to send mail
to the author also bounced. The rest of the mesage never did arrive.
Perhaos the author will see this reference and mail me a complete message
once again. The messate was badly mangled  when it got here to Chicago.
PT]

siegman@sierra.stanford.edu (Anthony E. Siegman) (03/24/89)

My residential phone number (415 area code) happens to spell a
quite commercially interesting word.  During the 15-plus years I've
had this number I've had a couple of inquiries from businesses wanting
to take it over, paying me something for giving it up.  A recent one
seems serious.

Anyone have any thoughts on the dollar value of such a number?  Rumor
has it that someone whose all-digit dialing number was "AMERICA" got
$1000 for turning over this number during the Centennial".

My "commercially interesting" number, by the way, is 326-6669 =
ECONOMY.  Wasn't certain whether I wanted to publish it or not.

Sorry for the mailer foulups -- not certain if it's the system here,
my novice skills (just learning rn and Unix), or what.

A. E. Siegman  siegman@sierra.stanford.edu

[Moderator's Note: This is a repeat of the message which was lost in transit
a couple days ago. The author saw my request and resent it to us.   PT]

decom@dgp.toronto.edu (Jonathan Haruni) (03/24/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0105m04@vector.UUCP> "Anthony E. Siegman" <sierra!
siegman@labrea.stanford.edu> writes:
>My residential phone number (415 area code) happens to spell a
>quite commercially interesting word.  During the 15-plus years I've
>had this number I've had a couple of inquiries from businesses wanting
>to take it over, paying me something for giving it up.  A recent one
>seems serious.

>Anyone have any thoughts on the dollar value of such a number?  Rumor

If you're selling your phone number for the money and for no other reason,
(ie, I assume that you have not been eager for a career in phone number
 sales since the age of 12) then it is worth as much as the offering company
is willing to pay.  You'll have to figure it out yourself.  How much money
do they have ?  How much more would your phone number get them ?  How
good a bargainer are you, and how good is the guy who is your contact with
the company ?  Expect to get ALOT of money if it is a phone order company
with high profits and much competition.   That would be the ideal situation.

Jon.

[Moderator's Note: The Dominos Pizza people are trying to grab up all the
xxx-3030 and xxx-0030 combinations they can find around Chicago. Paying
off with pizza coupons and some money, I understand.  PT]

steve@uunet.uu.net (04/06/89)

A. E. Siegman  siegman@sierra.stanford.edu asks:

> Anyone have any thoughts on the dollar value of such a number?  Rumor
> has it that someone whose all-digit dialing number was "AMERICA" got
> $1000 for turning over this number during the Centennial".

I only know of one published sale.  It was the Hyatt hotel chain.
They bought 1-800-243-2546 (CHECKIN) from Hank and Marie Oscar,
of Oscarvision Systems, for $40,000 + $5,000 in credit towards hotel stays.

A heck of a lot better than a few pizza coupons:-)