[comp.dcom.telecom] Yes! Directory Assistance via Modem

dts@cloud9.stratus.com (Daniel Senie) (03/24/89)

Several people have made the argument that CPID does not reveal the caller's
name or other such information and therefore does not really provide
information which would violate privacy. I beg to differ:

A year or two ago NYNEX announced plans to distribute the white pages on
CD-ROM. They claimed to get all NYNEX market telephone listings on a single
disc. While this information would not necessarily be indexed by phone number,
building such an index is not difficult.

So, a person or company with CPID interfaced to a PC or minicomputer could
display the caller's name and address while the phone is still ringing.

Dan
=================================
Personally I wish NET would just get around to providing touch-tone in this
town! All of these services are just a pip dream in this area. NYNEX doesn't
seem to feel that it is important to provide advanced services outside the
cities.

--
Daniel Senie               UUCP: harvard!ulowell!cloud9!dts
Stratus Computer, Inc.     ARPA: anvil!cloud9!dts@harvard.harvard.edu

MAC.ROMOS@apple.com (ben sharpe) (03/29/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0112m03@vector.UUCP> dts@cloud9.stratus.com
(Daniel Senie) writes:
> A year or two ago NYNEX announced plans to distribute the white pages on
> CD-ROM. They claimed to get all NYNEX market telephone listings on a single
> disc.

So what happened?  I would be very interested in finding out any
information about Yellow or White pages on CD.

*** Generald Disclaimer ***
"My employer is not responsible for what I have to say."
If you can't say something nice... say something surrealistic.  -- Zippy
** Please put my name in the subject
** as my mailbox is a group account on AppleLink.

njs@uunet.uu.net (Nicholas J. Simicich) (03/29/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0112m03@vector.UUCP> dts@cloud9.stratus.com (Daniel
Senie) writes:
 (.....)
>A year or two ago NYNEX announced plans to distribute the white pages on
>CD-ROM. They claimed to get all NYNEX market telephone listings on a single
>disc. While this information would not necessarily be indexed by phone number,
>building such an index is not difficult.

>So, a person or company with CPID interfaced to a PC or minicomputer could
>display the caller's name and address while the phone is still ringing.
 (.....)

Yep.  I've seen it running at a Long Island communication show last
year.  It allowed you to do lookups by region and name, or by phone
number.  It would probably take a ring or two to do a lookup.

Licensing policies didn't allow you to make wholesale copies of the
directory, or use it as a basis for sales calls.  The AT+T people
claimed that they had put "ringers" (as it were) into the database,
and that if they found a correlation between cold calls arriving at
those numbers and people who were getting this service, they would cut
off subscriptions.

They weren't telling you the format of the database, although figuring
it out and using it on a LAN as a server didn't violate their license,
according to the person I talked to, as long as you didn't copy data
from the database wholesale.  They also claimed that someone had done
it.

You got a new CD-ROM every month, as an update.  I seem to remember a
number of around $10,000/year for the service, plus the setup (AT
class machine and CD ROM drive, supplied by NYNEX).  As NYNEX sold it,
this was for a single station.

brian@cbw1.UUCP (Brian Cuthie) (03/29/89)

Senie) writes:

>Several people have made the argument that CPID does not reveal the caller's
>name or other such information and therefore does not really provide
>information which would violate privacy. I beg to differ:

>A year or two ago NYNEX announced plans to distribute the white pages on
>CD-ROM. They claimed to get all NYNEX market telephone listings on a single
>disc. While this information would not necessarily be indexed by phone number,
>building such an index is not difficult.

[other stuff deleted]

Actually, US-WEST has already done this for the 14 mid west states that are
in their territory.  I personally played with this at FOSE (Federal Office
Systems Expo) last month.  They can key on *any* field quite rapidly.  They
were showing me how easy it was to find someone, then, if they've moved for
instance, find the people who lived next door to them!  The salesmen at the
booth suggested that you would then call the neighbors to find a forwarding
address.

I know this info is available through other means, but this was truely
scary.  *ANYONE* who has $14,500/year can purchase the service which
includes the software and a CD per month update.

I have to wonder if your name, etc.,  would be provided on the disc if you have
requested that it not be sold as part of a mailing list.  It's
amazing to me how much the Telco here sells names and numbers.   I have a
friend who is a dentist and he can get the names and addresses of all those
people who have gotten service recently so as to attract people new to the
area as clients.  YECH!

-brian
--
Brian D. Cuthie                                 uunet!umbc3!cbw1!brian
Columbia, MD                                    brian@umbc3.umbc.edu

sac@apple.com (Steve Cisler) (04/08/89)

At the end of March there was some discussion of white page listings on
CD-ROM. US West and Nynex have done this. Both were in attendance at the recent
Microsoft CD-ROM conference in Anaheim, California. Nynex had a hospitality
suite and their product was being shown on the exhibit floor.  Silver Platter
announced a  competing product 'at a fraction of the cost' of Nynex's disc
which runs around  $10,000.

I was very impressed with the speed and the scope of the product. It was
broken in two geographical areas: New England and New York (perhaps just the
metro area  rather than the whole state).  It allowed you to look by name,
address, phone number,  zip code (I think), and by 'neighbors'.  So many
credit agencies call libraries to ask for 'nearbys' --people who live near the
subject of the call--that this was an important feature for the RBOCs clients.

Considering the amount of work that libraries do for the telcos--extended
411 service: they will look up addresses if they have the time--each RBOC
ought to make these available free of charge to the reference desks of
many libraries. Most will find the price way too high.

The RBOCs also want to have a common interface to their discs, and maybe
even one search engine.  Given the compeititve nature, it may not happen.
But it would be to their advantage if it did.

Steve Cisler