[comp.dcom.telecom] Diverstiture was not a mistake

stevem@fai.fai.com (Steven A. Minneman) (04/11/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0124m05@vector.UUCP> Leslie Mikesell <les@chinet.chi.
il.us> writes:
>[...]
>>I don't think the answer is to allow any one company to monopolize
>>long distance service.

>The services should be required to connect through the lowest priced LD
>service unless otherwise directed (by dialing the access code) by the caller.
>Any machine capable of billing a call can easily find the cheapest
>rate.  Then they could only gouge you for local services.

Not at all true -- its a lot easier to bill for a call than to find the
cheapest route available.  Billing only involves deciding what you want
to charge -- its my understanding that many of the AOSs including some
of the largest, bill all long distance calls at one rate.

Finding the cheapest route would involve having V&H coordinates (to determine
the call distance) and also tarriff information from every telephone company in
the country.  Each call would then have to be costed using all the different
carriers.