[comp.dcom.telecom] FCC AOS Order

DREUBEN@eagle.wesleyan.edu) (DOUGLAS SCOTT REUBEN) (04/10/89)

After reading the lengthly FCC rulemaking order on AOS outfits
(and THANKS for posting it!), I want to make sure I have the
'timetable' correct:

(I am assuming that as the release date was Feb 27th, the effective
 date was March 27th, as stated towards the end of the order.)

1. The named AOS outfits MUST ID themselves at all times.

2. The named AOS outfits MUST post rate/customer service information
   by May 27th, 1989. (60 days from effective date.

3. The named AOS outfits MUST stop blocking and/or contact the owners
   of COCOTS, dorm phones, etc, and require that they discontinue
   blocking by April 27th, 1989.

4. The named AOS outfits may continue to connect you to AT&T/local Bell
   Operators, but are not required to do so.

So am I correct as to the dates for parts 1-3?

If I find a COCOT, let's say sometime in July (to give them some time...)
that still blocks me from dialing 10288, what recourse do I have?
Do I complain directly to the FCC, or the state Public Service Commission,
or who? (Obviously the FCC assumes all of the 5 named AOS 'firms' will
comply, but what if they don't?)

Finally, what will be the equal access code for the local Bell operator?
In New York (NYTel) it's 10NYT, in PA 10BPA, Jersey 10NJB, etc. Yet
are we going to be required to remember hundreds of local 10xxx numbers,
or will there be one standard one? (Or will just dialing "0" just get
you a local Bell Op., like it did when we had a normal phone system
a few years back? [sorry for editorializing..])

Well, all I can say is I'm glad to be in Connecticut, where we don't
have such problems (at least not from payphones...) (Although what
WAS the State of CT 'observing' down in DC anyhow? Hmmmm....)

-Doug

DReuben%Eagle.Weslyn@Wesleyan.Bitnet
DReuben@Eagle.Wesleyan.Edu
(and just plain old 'DReuben' to locals! :-)  )

jhood@uunet.uu.net (John Hood) (04/12/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0131m06@vector.dallas.tx.us>
DREUBEN@eagle.wesleyan.edu) (DOUGLAS SCOTT REUBEN) writes:
>After reading the lengthly FCC rulemaking order on AOS outfits
>(and THANKS for posting it!), I want to make sure I have the
>'timetable' correct:

Well, I don't know if it is or not, but...

>3. The named AOS outfits MUST stop blocking and/or contact the owners
>   of COCOTS, dorm phones, etc, and require that they discontinue
>   blocking by April 27th, 1989.

This isn't quite correct.  In the appendix, there is an escape hatch
that allows AOS companies to continue blocking as necessary to prevent
people from abusing the network.  Now I ask, who decides what blocking
is necessary...?

  --jh
--
John Hood, Biar Games snail: 10 Spruce Lane, Ithaca NY 14850 BBS: 607 257 3423
domain: jhood@biar.uucp (we hope) bang: anywhere!uunet!biar!jhood