[comp.dcom.telecom] E-mail Clearinghouse

andy@virgil.uucp (Andy Roth) (04/10/89)

We have heard of a service, that for a nominal monthly fee, will interface
with a local UNIX host (ostensibly uucp) and other subscribed email services
acting as a clearinghouse.  This service will poll your commercial mailboxes
(MCI, EXLINK, etc.) and mail them to your local system.  Outgoing mail is
sent to the service and automatically diverted to MCI or whatever as
required.  If anyone has used or is familiar with wuch a service, I would
appreciate a reference.  Thanks in advance.

Andy Roth
EDO Corporation
Virginia Operations
814 Greenbrier Circle Suite U
Chesapeake, VA 23320
(804) 424-1004
uucp: ...xanth!edo!andy

dave@rutgers.edu (Dave Levenson) (04/13/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0132m03@vector.dallas.tx.us>, andy@virgil.uucp (Andy
Roth) writes:
> We have heard of a service, that for a nominal monthly fee, will interface
> with a local UNIX host (ostensibly uucp) and other subscribed email services
> acting as a clearinghouse.  This service will poll your commercial mailboxes
> (MCI, EXLINK, etc.) and mail them to your local system.  Outgoing mail is
> sent to the service and automatically diverted to MCI or whatever as
> required.  If anyone has used or is familiar with wuch a service, I would
> appreciate a reference.  Thanks in advance.

There is at least one commercial e-mail service which is uucp-based,
and can communicate directly with your favorite uucp site.  It is
called AT&T Mail, and provides e-mail to fax, e-mail to paper-mail,
and other related services.  You can register yourself for logins
from a dumb terminal (they provide a text-editor and other
user-friendly covers for the UNIX shell) or you can register your
UNIX machine and receive your mail on your own system.

--
Westmark, Inc.			|  If you can't give me your  |