[comp.dcom.telecom] Determining the length of the country code

stevem@fai.fai.com (Steven A. Minneman) (04/13/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0131m09@vector.dallas.tx.us> bambam!hjp@uunet.uu.net
(Howard J. Postley) writes:

>Could anyone tell me what the formula for determining the number of digits
>in a country code is.  ... When I am parsing international phone numbers, I
>am having a tough time figuring out where the country code ends and the
>phone number starts.

Country codes are set forth in CCITT Recommendation E.163.  There is no
pattern.  There are one, two, and three digit country codes.  If the first
digit is "1" or a "7" it is a one digit code.  Otherwise, it is a two or three
digit code depending on what the first two digits are.