[comp.dcom.telecom] dialing with switchhook

wrf@mab.ecse.rpi.edu (Wm Randolph Franklin) (04/11/89)

In the 60s pay phones were designed with mercury switches on the hook so
that  if you tried  to dial with  the hook  the  splashing mercury would
defeat you.  Otherwise you  could make local  calls for a nickel instead
of a dime, or some such thing.
                                     --------
						   Wm. Randolph Franklin
Paper: ECSE Dept., 6026 JEC, Rensselaer Polytechnic Inst, Troy NY, 12180

davef@brspyr1.brs.com (Dave Fiske) (04/14/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0131m10@vector.dallas.tx.us>, wrf@mab.ecse.rpi.edu
(Wm Randolph Franklin) writes:
> In the 60s pay phones were designed with mercury switches on the hook so
> that  if you tried  to dial with  the hook  the  splashing mercury would
> defeat you.  Otherwise you  could make local  calls for a nickel instead
> of a dime, or some such thing.

Here's a related anecdote.

I saw an interview with Walter Cronkite once, where he spoke of his
eary career as a newspaper reporter.  One day the editor called him
into his office, to ask about a reimbursement form Walter had put
through for calls from pay phones.  "What's this?" said the editor.
"Well, I had to make some phone calls to the newspaper, and I  want to
be reimbursed."  At this point the editor laughed and shouted out to
another staff member "Hey, show this guy how to make a call from a pay
phone," at which point the other person took two straight pins from the
underside of his lapel, and stuck one into each of the wires leading to
a pay phone in the hall.  He then touched the wires together and the
phone was powered up.  Obviously, pay phones simply used a simple
coin-activated switch to enable the connection in those days.

--
"FLYING ELEPHANTS DROP COW           Dave Fiske  (davef@brspyr1.BRS.COM)
 PIES ON HORRIFIED CROWD!"