[comp.dcom.telecom] Question on phone system made by TIE Communications

jeff@kestrel.ARPA (Jeff Kitson) (04/05/89)

My company has a key service unit, model CK III, made by TIE
Communications.  We're moving into a new building and we want to run
both the phone and RS232 lines through the same 25-pair cable into
offices.  My question is if anyone out there has a similar setup and
has successfully or unsuccessfully done this?

A *technical* person from TIE said that he has heard of some place
that had trouble when some *computer cables where run in parallel with
the phones*, but he didn't know anything more specific.  He said I
should do some tests myself.

Thanks in advance,  Jeff
---------
Jeff Kitson                 jeff@kestrel.arpa

wheels@watmath.waterloo.edu (Gerry Wheeler) (04/14/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0126m05@vector.dallas.tx.us>, jeff@kestrel.ARPA
(Jeff Kitson) writes:
> we want to run
> both the phone and RS232 lines through the same 25-pair cable into
> offices.  My question is if anyone out there has a similar setup and
> has successfully or unsuccessfully done this?

We did that in our offices, but found that the data lines induced noise
into the voice lines, so you would hear a funny ZZZiiippp noise each
time the screen of a terminal was rewritten.

We eventually changed phone systems anyway, and expanded our terminal
wiring so much that we had to run separate cables, so it is no longer a
problem.

--
     Gerry Wheeler                           Phone: (519)884-2251
Mortice Kern Systems Inc.               UUCP: uunet!watmath!mks!wheels