    Date: Wednesday, March 29, 1989  12:28pm (CST)
    From: folta at tove.umd.edu (Wayne Folta)
    Subject: How big can a Local Dialing Area be?

    But is this really a very large area?  How large might a local call area be
    in LA or NY?  Are all local dialing areas determined by distance, or might
    there be an *enormous* exchange out in Montana somewhere that includes
    thousands of square miles but only a few thousand people?

    (It would be interesting to hear about maximal sizes in terms of: area,
    number of people, and number of exchanges.)

The local calling area in Dallas includes the city itself, plus most of
the first two rings of suburbs and DFW airport.  That's a rough square
25 or 30 miles on a side, so 600 to 900 square miles.  Between 1 and 2
million people, more than 300 exchanges.

Also, it's all "free" -- there's no measured local service here, except
for a couple of economy and business plans that charge per-call.
Southwestern Bell keeps trying to institute time-and-distance charging
for local calls (ie, message units), but the PUC keeps shooting them
down.

Paul Fuqua                     pf@csc.ti.com
                               {smu,texsun,cs.utexas.edu,rice}!ti-csl!pf
Texas Instruments Computer Science Center
PO Box 655474 MS 238, Dallas, Texas 75265

pda@gatech.edu (Paul Anderson) (04/05/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0121m05@vector.UUCP> pf@islington-terrace.csc.ti.com
(Paul Fuqua) writes:
>    Subject: How big can a Local Dialing Area be?

>The local calling area in Dallas includes the city itself, plus most of
>the first two rings of suburbs and DFW airport.  That's a rough square
>25 or 30 miles on a side, so 600 to 900 square miles.  Between 1 and 2
>million people, more than 300 exchanges.

Hmmm.  In this light, I think that the Atlanta calling region -may- be
larger geographically (and I will take a stab at a population for that
region to be around 4 million people).  The Atlanta local calling area
extends from about 20 miles on one side of the 'perimeter' to 20 miles
out on the other side. The I285 ('perimeter') is conservatively 20 miles
across.  This yields a diameter of 60 miles or ~ 2826 sq miles.  Now,
while you are all coughing, I have made calls this distance regularly
and drive to these locations to do business!  I searched the phone
book for a listing of the exchanges and was unable to find
anything.  There are, however, 400 private residence listings per page
in the phone book for all 2004 pages of it yielding a total of 801,600
residence listings.  If the average household headcount of 4 per holds,
then this bears out an estimate of about 4 million people in the metro
area.  The business section averages 350 listings per page for 700 pages
for a total of 245,000 *listed* lines.  The real number is at least
probably double that, but more likely triple that, so lets say business
lines account for 600,000 more.   That yields a total of 1.4 million
lines.  This results in 495 lines per sq mile.  Big area, but not real
dense like in New York City.

Paul
--
Paul Anderson		gatech!stiatl!pda		(404) 841-4000
	    X isn't just an adventure, X is a way of life...

klb@lzaz.att.com (K.BLATTER) (04/06/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0115m05@vector.UUCP>, folta@tove.umd.edu (Wayne Folta)
writes:
> a local call to anywhere in a 500-square-mile area.  If you count DC as
> a state, that includes three states (MD, VA, DC).

> But is this really a very large area?  How large might a local call area be
> in LA or NY?  Are all local dialing areas determined by distance, or might
> there be an *enormous* exchange out in Montana somewhere that includes
> thousands of square miles but only a few thousand people?

To my knowledge, the largest (in terms of square miles) local dialing
area in the United States is the Big Island of Hawaii in, of course,
Hawaii.  It is roughly 4900 square miles in size.

Both New York City (212) and Los Angeles (213) are "full".  This is
the reason that new area codes have been spawned off of them.  These
areas have the most numbers assigned to them.  (Also, Chicago (312) is
probably in the running.

As I mentioned earlier, the Big Island in Hawaii has the largest
geographical area 4900 square miles.

Kevin L. Blatter
AT&T - Bell Labs

Disclaimer -- These estimates are my own and have nothing whatsoever to
do with my employer.

brent@gatech.edu (Brent) (04/07/89)

    I am told that the Atlanta, GA area is the largest local-call
area in the US.  From end to end it's an approximate circle, with
a radius of about 50 miles.  A few years ago, Southern Bell tried
to introduce metered service, billing by the distance of the call.
The hue and cry was great.  It was promptly shelved.

        brent laminack (gatech!itm!brent)

trev@gatech.edu (Trevor Zion Bauknight) (04/11/89)

I read somewhere that Atlanta, GA has the biggest Local Dialing Area in
the country.  Of course...you can't believe everything you read...

-Trev

--
Trevor Zion Bauknight          Clemson University - Clemson, South Carolina

"walking down the mystery road             ...{backbone}!gatech!hubcap!trev
 following the light that shone"                  "You connect the dots..."

scott@dtscp1.UUCP (Scott Barman) (04/13/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0129m03@vector.dallas.tx.us> klb@lzaz.att.com
(K.BLATTER) writes:
>In article <telecom-v09i0115m05@vector.UUCP>, folta@tove.umd.edu (Wayne Folta)
>writes:
>> a local call to anywhere in a 500-square-mile area.  If you count DC as
>> a state, that includes three states (MD, VA, DC).
>> But is this really a very large area?  How large might a local call area be
>> in LA or NY?  Are all local dialing areas determined by distance, or might
>> there be an *enormous* exchange out in Montana somewhere that includes
>> thousands of square miles but only a few thousand people?
>To my knowledge, the largest (in terms of square miles) local dialing
>area in the United States is the Big Island of Hawaii in, of course,
>Hawaii.  It is roughly 4900 square miles in size.

When I moved to the Atlanta Metro area, the Southern Bell representative
told me that the Atlanta area is the second largest "toll free" calling
zone in the United States.  From what I understand, the Georgia Public
Service Commission refuses to listen to reason when trying to change the
way rates are charged (as it is I pay over $25 for service before long
distance charges are added and the only "extra" I have is touch-tone
service).

My question is where is the largest?  I think the woman at SoBell ment
the number of available phones that I could call toll free when the
statement was made (I don't know, just an impression).  If so I think
it would be interesting to find the largest.

--
scott barman
{gatech, emory}!dtscp1!scott

johnw@gatech.edu (John Wheeler) (04/16/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0133m08@vector.dallas.tx.us> hubcap!trev@gatech.edu
(Trevor Zion Bauknight) writes:

>I read somewhere that Atlanta, GA has the biggest Local Dialing Area in
>the country.  Of course...you can't believe everything you read...

Well, those of us who live here may tend to be boastful (grin) but we
DO have over 6 inches (of phone book, thick, that is) in two white-page
and two Yellow Pages volumes, weighing in around 12 pounds.
What's metered service, anyway? (hee hee)
I have heard rumors of another area code for us, which we currently share
with the rest of North Georgia...
--
		  Turner                                       John Wheeler
     E N T E R T A I N M E N T     ...!gatech!nanovx!techwood!johnw